Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 Dec 2011 (Wednesday) 12:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

They have got to be kidding!!

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:28 |  #16
bannedPermanent ban

mafoo wrote in post #13544535 (external link)
To me that's a little low.

If I go to a store and take advantage of there stock/expertise, I pay them for it.

If I do all the research myself, I buy online.

Why is that low? I go into car dealers to test drive cars for fun and walk out.

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

sponsored links
Apricane
Shooting the breeze
1,735 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:29 |  #17

General_T wrote in post #13544551 (external link)
I chose air for the "guaranteed speed of delivery" and having no brokerage fees (using FedEx). I checked with Canada Customs and there are no duty fees for camera lens...yeah!.

Hehe ok, personally I can't justify paying 70$ extra on shipping just to be sure to have it in two days... since it's usually what it takes anyway, or three at most.

No duties on lenses you say? That's interesting, since when I order from B&H they charge me something like 5$ for duties... I think next time I order something I'll choose to pay duties myself instead of having B&H do it, see what happens. Who did you check with at Customs to get the info?

Apricane IG Portraits (external link) IG Travel/Street (external link)
Capture One 21 Pro | Affinity Photo | ACDSee | Bridge | Photoshop
a7 III | Sony 35+55ZA+85/1.8 | Tmr 28-75+70-180/2.8 | Tmr 28-200
a6600 | Sony 70-350G

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:30 |  #18

General_T wrote in post #13544556 (external link)
This isn't a small shop. They are a nationwide chain.

I have no idea how things work up there, or if this even applies to camera equipment...

In the US, we have stores that charge far more then others (Office Max for example), but they stay in business because of corporate sales.

Companies can set up corporate accounts with them, and monitor expenditures. So when you go into some place like an Office Max and wonder who spends twice as much for toner, the answer is "the major companies that don't want people embezzling thousands of dollars, because you need them to buy toner".

If it's a nation wide chain, something like that could be going on.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

alvinkclee
496 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:31 |  #19

i'm here in vancouver, canada and have been wanting to buy this lens for a couple months now... i love living in Canada for many reasons but once in a while something will happen like my friend in NYC will walk into a store, pay just over $2000 inclusive of tax for the 70-200mm 2.8 IS mark 2 and go home... i will go to my local camera store, be asked to pay $2300 "sale price" plus 12% HST ... makes me want to cry lol

i have heard lots of good things tho about this Adorama site, maybe i will give them a first try... a bit nervous though due to the big price tag but, i am hoping it all goes well and i don't get shafted with some random brokerage/duty/tax thing like last time i brought something in from the US and got charged $180 by UPS for fees i didn't understand existed -_-;;;

any1 from Vancouver can give some tips ie. what shipping to use etc? i kno i'll have to pay the 12% HST tax and $5 Canada borders fee which is fine... i'd just like to avoid any other random fees if i can, those add up and make the US price pointless

~ http://www.alvinkclee.​com/ (external link)

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:32 |  #20

wfarrell4 wrote in post #13544589 (external link)
Why is that low? I go into car dealers to test drive cars for fun and walk out.

Your a sharp guy. You know why. But thanks for the bait :p

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:35 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

mafoo wrote in post #13544613 (external link)
Your a sharp guy. You know why. But thanks for the bait :p

You're.

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

ktc1
190 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 14, 2011 13:36 |  #22

With the outstanding service many online retailers offer it often doesn't make sense to buy from a local shop. Often, available stock limits choices and even returns are easier when you just rebox it and drop it at any UPS store. I bought (2) 5D bodies, (2) "L" lenses and a Leica P&S from Adorama a couple years back. I gave my local retail store an oportunity to make the packaged sale but not only would they not match price (I didn't even expect or need them to) but they wouldn't budge even a little on the individual prices dispite what was a $7K+ sale. I also remember having my new gear 2 days after placing the order.

5D with IR sensor & 28mm f1.8 | Fuji X100s

ktc1
190 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 14, 2011 13:38 |  #23

wfarrell4 wrote in post #13544626 (external link)
You're.

Good one :lol:

5D with IR sensor & 28mm f1.8 | Fuji X100s

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:43 |  #24

Apricane wrote in post #13544596 (external link)
Hehe ok, personally I can't justify paying 70$ extra on shipping just to be sure to have it in two days... since it's usually what it takes anyway, or three at most.

No duties on lenses you say? That's interesting, since when I order from B&H they charge me something like 5$ for duties... I think next time I order something I'll choose to pay duties myself instead of having B&H do it, see what happens. Who did you check with at Customs to get the info?

Hi,

There is a toll free number: 1-800-461-9999

website: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca …ariff-tarif/menu-eng.html (external link)

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

deedub35
63 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 14, 2011 13:59 |  #25

alvinkclee wrote in post #13544608 (external link)
any1 from Vancouver can give some tips ie. what shipping to use etc? i kno i'll have to pay the 12% HST tax and $5 Canada borders fee which is fine... i'd just like to avoid any other random fees if i can, those add up and make the US price pointless

Hey. I'm in Kelowna. Around here we have Lens and Shutter, Best Buy, Future Shop, and London Drugs. I know from online comparisons that Memory Express seems always to be the cheapest but they don't have a store here. I've bought a few items from B&H. I save enough to make it worth while. Plus it gets to me in about 5 to 6 days. I choose the Purolator option and pay the duties. However it the above post is true, next time I'll chance it and pay the duties myself.

60D w/ BG-E9 | EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 (converted to macro) | 430EX II

deedub35
63 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 14, 2011 14:05 |  #26

mafoo wrote in post #13544535 (external link)
To me that's a little low.

If I go to a store and take advantage of there stock/expertise, I pay them for it.

If I do all the research myself, I buy online.

A little low? Maybe. If it was a few dollars I don't mind. But at the end of the day if I can save a decent amount of money I will. And I sleep plenty fine at night knowing that I saved well over $100 on my EF 50mm f/1.4 USM and ES-71B buying from B&H than local.

60D w/ BG-E9 | EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM | EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | EF 35-80mm f/4-5.6 (converted to macro) | 430EX II

Apricane
Shooting the breeze
1,735 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 14, 2011 14:11 |  #27

General_T wrote in post #13544663 (external link)
Hi,

There is a toll free number: 1-800-461-9999

website: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca …ariff-tarif/menu-eng.html (external link)

Cheers for the info! I'll have to give a look sometime soon.

Apricane IG Portraits (external link) IG Travel/Street (external link)
Capture One 21 Pro | Affinity Photo | ACDSee | Bridge | Photoshop
a7 III | Sony 35+55ZA+85/1.8 | Tmr 28-75+70-180/2.8 | Tmr 28-200
a6600 | Sony 70-350G

tovarish
317 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 14, 2011 14:21 |  #28

deedub35 wrote in post #13544793 (external link)
A little low? Maybe. If it was a few dollars I don't mind. But at the end of the day if I can save a decent amount of money I will. And I sleep plenty fine at night knowing that I saved well over $100 on my EF 50mm f/1.4 USM and ES-71B buying from B&H than local.

I agree it's a little low, but it ain't like anyone's dying from it. However, as an example, my wife recently set up an aquarium. The fish she bought from Petco died which really upset my daughter (my son was happy to flush 'em). They gave her bad advice on the type of fish to buy. Anway, she then went to a local shop and the guy spent a 1/2 hour testing the water and talking to my wife about what type of fish to buy next and when to buy it. No hard sell or anything like that. The prices in there are 10 to 20% higher than Petco, but I told my wife to buy all her aquarium supplies from the local store from now on. As we were leaving we saw a note about how "regular" customers come in, get advice, and then buy online. Basically, they were asking the regulars to be loyal. I'm not rich, but I'll pay a little more for good advice and service. I NEVER go to the local shop becasue I know that I won't buy from them. I order everything online, read reviews, & do the research myself.

Flickr (external link)

General_T
THREAD ­ STARTER
252 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 14, 2011 14:31 |  #29

tovarish wrote in post #13544849 (external link)
I agree it's a little low, but it ain't like anyone's dying from it. However, as an example, my wife recently set up an aquarium. The fish she bought from Petco died which really upset my daughter (my son was happy to flush 'em). They gave her bad advice on the type of fish to buy. Anway, she then went to a local shop and the guy spent a 1/2 hour testing the water and talking to my wife about what type of fish to buy next and when to buy it. No hard sell or anything like that. The prices in there are 10 to 20% higher than Petco, but I told my wife to buy all her aquarium supplies from the local store from now on. As we were leaving we saw a note about how "regular" customers come in, get advice, and then buy online. Basically, they were asking the regulars to be loyal. I'm not rich, but I'll pay a little more for good advice and service. I NEVER go to the local shop becasue I know that I won't buy from them. I order everything online, read reviews, & do the research myself.

Don't get me wrong..I will be loyal to a local store..if they are reasonable and i can afford it, but 10 - 20% on fish probably isn't multiple hundreds of dollars?

Canon 5D Mk III | 24-105 F4 L IS USM | 100 F2.8 L Macro IS USM | 70-200 MK II F2.8 L IS USM|580 EX II

gocolts
Goldmember
1,246 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 14, 2011 14:35 |  #30

My local camera shop is the same way...they had the new Sigma 120-300 OS for $3,999 when you could buy it everywhere else for $3,199....and when I went in to look at it, and I told them this, they said they weren't an "online broker" and if I wanted to go roll the dice with some "fly by night" online website (Amazon, B & H, Adorama?!?) then go for it. I just laughed and left. Who pays those prices??!?

sponsored links

8,603 views & 0 likes for this thread
They have got to be kidding!!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.