Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 15 Dec 2011 (Thursday) 22:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Newbie Fustrated

amb1s1
42 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Dec 15, 2011 22:23 |  #1

I have a T3i and I been taking nice picture, but not professional looking not even close. I bought a lighting kit on amazon to see if I can get a decent pictures. I received the package today. So I was so exited, since I didn't have a white paper as a background I use a white curtain on my basement and I use my daughter as a model. I took several pictures and none came out good. I think the picture came out even worst than without the light kit. The light kit have 4 light, two umbrellas and two regular lights. I would you guys to see the picture and maybe tell me what you guys think I'm doing wrong. I uploaded two picture in here https://public.me.com/​gomezd (external link)
Please take a look and advise me what you guys think. Thanks

sponsored links
ni$mo350
Cream of the Crop
6,011 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 15, 2011 22:46 |  #2

I know you've been a member since '04 but a lot of us are weary to click on any links unless you're pretty established as legit here. Maybe post up some shots on here. Have you ever worked with lighting before? Learn the basics before adding something like lighting into the mix. For all I know you could be using quick of a SS or your shooting on AV or TV or any number of related things. Pics with EXIF are a must in this situation. Also shoot RAW if you don't already..

-Chris-Website (external link)|| (external link)Facebook (external link)|| My Flickr (external link)|| Follow me!!! 500px (external link) || (external link) 5D mkii || 35L || 70-200 f/2.8L IS MKII || My bank account hates you all :cry:

amb1s1
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Dec 15, 2011 22:55 as a reply to  @ ni$mo350's post |  #3

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/amb1s1/65191932​31/ (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/amb1s1/65191935​33/ (external link)

I have the link of the picture from flickr, I'm not familiar with EXIF. I saw couple of video on youtube about lighting. I use manual setting on my camera. I started to shoot RAW at the end, but the example pictures are JPEG. The link that I previews attached is for my apple account and it is a directory not a file. When you click it you have the choice to download the pictures.

amb1s1
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Dec 15, 2011 23:15 |  #4

http://500px.com/photo​/3769738 (external link)
http://500px.com/photo​/3769736 (external link)

I also uploaded the same pictures to 500px, because it will show more info. Thanks

bulldogg7
469 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 15, 2011 23:32 |  #5

Put some space between her and the background if you can.

Jeff:
Junk Box
, Facebook (external link)

MesserschmittMan
358 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 16, 2011 00:35 |  #6

I think if you just sat your daughter next to a window you'd end up with some pro standard images, particularly if you read up on window lighting in photography. You'd get to work with soft, diffused, even natural light. Working with a reflector might be beneficial too.

Canon 7D | Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 70-200mm f4 IS L

amb1s1
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Dec 16, 2011 08:47 |  #7

MesserschmittMan wrote in post #13552898 (external link)
I think if you just sat your daughter next to a window you'd end up with some pro standard images, particularly if you read up on window lighting in photography. You'd get to work with soft, diffused, even natural light. Working with a reflector might be beneficial too.

I have some nice piture of my daughter with natural light, but in this case I want to learn how to use loghting. Thanks

frankxsi
118 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 16, 2011 09:00 |  #8

Are you using a umbrella or a soft-box? how big it is? how far are they from your subject?
do you have a hand held light meter? how are you setting the lights?
if you answer this questions i think you will find the solution to your problem :)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,400 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Dec 16, 2011 09:11 |  #9

One shot is underexposed due to the white background fooling the camera's meter. Both have low tonal range. I think if you adjusted exposure on the first and levels on both, you'd get better images.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

amb1s1
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Dec 16, 2011 09:22 |  #10

1) Im using umbrella
2) This is the kit that I bought, not big:
http://www.amazon.com …ef=oh_o01_s02_i​00_details (external link)
3) Pretty close from the subject
4) no handheld meter
5) I did diffrent set up with no good results
1) two lights at front facing the subject and the other two on the back

frankxsi
118 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 16, 2011 10:41 |  #11

1) your umbrellas are way to small for portraiture
2) your lights are tooo weak and that is forcing you to use a high ISO
3) move the subject away from the background ( your background is not nice to wrinkle and that is very distracting)
4) try using a gray card your white balance is off or correct it later on your post production software
5) you dont need to shoot at f/10. lower your iso use a tripod

two lights at front facing the subject and the other two on the back

on the back?? where?

the light kit that you got is more for product photography Adorama has great choices and not so expensive

http://www.adorama.com …ights&Feature1=​Flashpoint (external link)

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,269 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 16, 2011 10:46 |  #12

Yeah, the money you spend on lighting was pretty much wasted. That kit is too low power to be very helpful for portraiture. As mentioned by the folks above, your lights were too low throwing shadows sideways, she was too close to the background, and your exposure and white balance were off. See if you can return that junk you bought and invest in a flash and read the threads here about how to use it..

amb1s1
THREAD ­ STARTER
42 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Dec 16, 2011 11:38 |  #13

gonzogolf wrote in post #13554323 (external link)
Yeah, the money you spend on lighting was pretty much wasted. That kit is too low power to be very helpful for portraiture. As mentioned by the folks above, your lights were too low throwing shadows sideways, she was too close to the background, and your exposure and white balance were off. See if you can return that junk you bought and invest in a flash and read the threads here about how to use it..

I'm going to return it.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
30,269 posts
Gallery: 296 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 16, 2011 11:42 |  #14

amb1s1 wrote in post #13554587 (external link)
I'm going to return it.

Good plan. Most of the continuous lighting kits are just not suited for what they are marketed for.

starkyrulz
561 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 16, 2011 14:16 |  #15

boss you need to learn a lot and need to be patient - learn how to work with the camera first - my first few shots from the same camera in auto and P mode came out lookign like snapshots- learn to use M mode and the combination of Shutter speed and Aperture values. play around with natural light first - use the pop up for fill flash in daylight (you will be amazed by results). then maybe invest in a OCF - when you are comfortable using this and OCF - then think of studio lights. too much too early often results in failure and frustration.

take it easy - be patient, read a lot - practice the same.

Also understand these days you need to learn some basic editing tricks as well - try lightroom etc or gimp and do some editing. Around 20% improvement can be achieved through editing but usually even PS cannot repair a bad image. Work on the basics and enjoy the ride....

PS: I am/was very active of a Hi-Fi forum in India where a rich kid went ahead and bought all the expensive 2/multi-channel channel equipment from costing in the thousands of dollars (in India - 1 US dollar ~ 50 INR) and was still not happy - ultimately it was found out his room dimensions were all over the place and there was (in laymans terms) - no acoustic treatment no bass traps, incorrect positioning of speakers etc. So net always know your stuff...

| 5D Mark III | T3i | 24-70 f2.8 MK II L | 70-200 f2.8 IS mk II L | 18-200 f3.5-5.6 | Σ 30mm f1.4 | 50 f1.8 | 430exII | YongnouYN560 | YongnouRF603 | Vangaurd 263AT |

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/suprateep/ (external link)
http://500px.com/stark​yrulz (external link)

sponsored links

3,222 views & 0 likes for this thread
Newbie Fustrated
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.