Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Dec 2011 (Friday) 13:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Way to store your RAW files?

threedash
61 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 16, 2011 13:08 |  #1

What' the best way to store your precious RAW files? (online will take forever?)

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,893 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 16, 2011 13:09 |  #2

Um, on a HDD in your computer with another HDD for backup and one offsite if you want or burn to blu-ray.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 16, 2011 13:11 |  #3

I am using a 3TB external 3.0 hard drive. I also have three 1TB drives that are close to full. I should be taking a couple of external drives and storing them somewhere else, but I don't.

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

bps
Cream of the Crop
7,607 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 16, 2011 17:26 |  #4

threedash,

I assume you're asking for a good back-up plan?

I obviously store all of my pictures on my 2TB Hard Drive inside my Aperture library. I have a 3 GB Time Capsule that is running a back-up every hour. And then I also have a stand-alone hard drive that I store in a locked fire-proof safe at work. I have a calendar reminder pops up every 60 days that reminds me to bring that hard drive home to run a complete back up. This "offsite back-up" prevents the loss of my data in the event of a theft or fire at my home.

Bryan

My Gear List

M635_Guy
232 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 16, 2011 17:49 |  #5

bps wrote in post #13556235 (external link)
threedash,

I assume you're asking for a good back-up plan?

I obviously store all of my pictures on my 2TB Hard Drive inside my Aperture library. I have a 3 GB Time Capsule that is running a back-up every hour. And then I also have a stand-alone hard drive that I store in a locked fire-proof safe at work. I have a calendar reminder pops up every 60 days that reminds me to bring that hard drive home to run a complete back up. This "offsite back-up" prevents the loss of my data in the event of a theft or fire at my home.

Bryan

This is a pretty good, low-cost system. I have something similar, except I have a dual-drive NAS RAID setup as my Time Machine.

My blog: Enthusiast Photographer (external link)
My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/e24mpwr/sets/ (external link)

AZ_Eddie
152 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 16, 2011 18:02 |  #6

I save my files on 2 different internal hard drives, 2 different external drives and also via a on-line backup service. Right now I am using Mozy but they are changing to a per gbyte pricing scheme, so when my present flat rate plan comes up for renewal in April, I will be going elsewhere - Carbonite, etc. Right now I have almost 250 gb stored on line!!

Ted

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Dec 16, 2011 18:13 |  #7

External hdd or dvd. I use dvd for jpegs more and final edits. I only save RAWs for so long then delete when I know I'll never touch them again.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,829 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 16, 2011 21:19 as a reply to  @ _aravena's post |  #8

Raid 1 pair of HDs for initial storage. Then backup to removable HD which is in a safe location. Much depends on how important the files are to you. If you are a pro, they can be crtical and worth lots of extra time/money/bandwidth to backup.

sponsored links

3,359 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Way to store your RAW files?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.