Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 16 Dec 2011 (Friday) 21:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Out of focus lights look dirty...dust inside lens?

alabama1980
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 16, 2011 21:18 |  #1

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Any clues? It's like that with both my 50mm 1.8 and my 85 1.8, but it's a different pattern. The 85 isn't so bad.

If it IS dust, can the lenses be self serviced?

Name's Andy! :)
Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)
asheltonphoto.com (external link)

sponsored links
Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Dec 16, 2011 21:34 |  #2

Wow.. cool.

No idea, but it must be in the lens. I think Canon can open and clean the lens, but there's no guarantee that it won't come right back.

BLD_007
Goldmember
1,036 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 16, 2011 21:45 |  #3

Todd Lambert wrote in post #13557121 (external link)
Wow.. cool.

No idea, but it must be in the lens. I think Canon can open and clean the lens, but there's no guarantee that it won't come right back.

should canon not guarantee their work?

Glass: 8-15 f/4.0L | 16-35 f/2.8LmkII | 24-70 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/2.8L mkII | 100 f/2.8L Macro | 300 f/2.8LmkII
Bodies: Canon 1d X : Canon 1d mkIV : Canon 50d

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,625 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009

Dec 16, 2011 21:51 |  #4

All lenses will accumulate dust in them, some more than others.. but still, not something that Canon or anyone else will guarantee against.

Normally, it's not that big of a deal, but in this case, that seems worse than it should be.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,566 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 17, 2011 21:11 |  #5

I'm not sure what it is but I wouldn't think that dust in the lens would show up with such clarity (actually, I wouldn't expect dust in the lens to show at at all). That said, I have no idea what this could be. Can't say that I've ever seen anything quite like it. I would think that if dust in a lenses could cause something like this, you would see it happening pretty frequently. Of course, I may be wrong :)

shaftmaster
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 17, 2011 21:23 |  #6

I'd try your lenses on a different body to see if the same thing happens. Then you'll know if it's the body or the lenses.

Paul

Gear -- Flickr (external link)

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 18, 2011 16:22 |  #7

I can't imagine dust in the lens being so repetitive, each ball of light has it's own slash.
I would assume that each ball is a separate light source.
Velly intelestink.:confused:

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

Madweasel
Cream of the Crop
6,223 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 18, 2011 16:42 |  #8

DAMphyne wrote in post #13564407 (external link)
I can't imagine dust in the lens being so repetitive, each ball of light has it's own slash.
I would assume that each ball is a separate light source.
Velly intelestink.:confused:

Yes, but the ball of light is the spread of light through the lens from each source, so you would indeed expect it to look the same in each one.

Mark.

DAMphyne
2,156 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 18, 2011 17:10 |  #9

Can the OP see the dust in the lens?
I mean he said it happens on 2 lenses.
Still puzzled.

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 18, 2011 17:18 |  #10

The Effect of Dust on Lens Bokeh (external link)

Tom

DAMphyne
2,156 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 18, 2011 18:28 |  #11

Thanks Tom & Mark,
Looks like they need to get the t-shirt out.

David
Digital set me free

alabama1980
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 19, 2011 01:22 |  #12

I looked before I posted this and didn't see it, but there was indeed a kind of long shaped piece of dust in my 50mm 1.8. Since it's...ya know...a 50mm 1.8 (relatively cheap) I took a can of compressed air with the straw and blew around the edges of the lens. Obviously, some air got to it because it's now gone and clean as can be.

I'm calling Canon tomorrow to see how much it costs to get the 85mm internally cleaned. I'll take chances with the 50mm...but the 85 is a bit more expensive...lol.

Thanks for all the replies.

Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,566 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 19, 2011 01:33 |  #13

alabama1980 wrote in post #13566610 (external link)
I looked before I posted this and didn't see it, but there was indeed a kind of long shaped piece of dust in my 50mm 1.8. Since it's...ya know...a 50mm 1.8 (relatively cheap) I took a can of compressed air with the straw and blew around the edges of the lens. Obviously, some air got to it because it's now gone and clean as can be.

I'm calling Canon tomorrow to see how much it costs to get the 85mm internally cleaned. I'll take chances with the 50mm...but the 85 is a bit more expensive...lol.

Thanks for all the replies.

Keep us updated....I'm curious as to what this is. While I have no idea, I would think that if dust in a lens would cause such an issue, it would be more common place than sensor dust. If I had to place a bet, I would guess that just about all of my lenses have at least a visible piece of dust if not more and yet I've never seen it show up in a photo.

alabama1980
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 19, 2011 02:27 |  #14

Check out the link that RTPVid posted (which, BTW, thanks for that link!!)! I wouldn't have thought so either, but the dust speck I saw inside my lens was long and narrow and matched what I was seeing in my photos.

At this point, I'm just glad it wasn't my sensor. I clean my own sensors and though I've done it a few times it still makes me a little nervous. I just cleaned it the other day, and then this happens...talk about a sinking feeling. The 85 had the spots, but in a totally different pattern and not near as obvious so that pretty much narrowed it down to a lens issue. I just hope it isn't an arm and a leg to get it serviced.

Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)

alabama1980
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,213 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 19, 2011 02:36 |  #15

Here's a shot after the compressed air to the lens....it's not perfectly clean, but it's a LOT better.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

asdfasdf (external link) by asheltonphoto (external link), on Flickr

Facebook (external link)
My 500px (external link)

sponsored links

3,378 views & 0 likes for this thread
Out of focus lights look dirty...dust inside lens?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.