Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 13 Dec 2011 (Tuesday) 23:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have you ever shot something/someone you did not wanted to?

Rivest
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 13, 2011 23:50 |  #1

The question might sound strange, but that's something I'm asking myself. Have you ever shot a picture (or a series of it) but you weren't comfortable to do it or really did not wanted to do it?

Some quick examples, let's say you broke with your girlfriend/wife some days ago, one night you are shooting an event and you have to take studio pictures of every couple. She's there with someone else. Awkward situation right?

Another situation could be a client wants pictures with his best friend. You meet up on location for the shoot, turns out you know his friend and you particularly hate him.

Could also be photojournalist work, turns out you know the victim.

Did any of you encountered a similar situation? I'm curious about your uncomfortable stories, I'm sure some of you have had some similar experience.

Let's share!

Hi, I'm David.

sponsored links
Svetlana
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 13, 2011 23:55 |  #2

You put on a professional face and shoot. The situations you described involve a photographer who UNknowingly finds himself in such a situation.

However if I was approached to do a shoot I knew would make me uncomfortable I would decline the gig (I've had that happen before, e.g. I had a guy email me wanting photos of him and his girlfriend having sex. I know, how could I have declined it????! LOL)...

Canon 7D, 5Dmk2, 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS, Canon 50 1.2L, 35 1.4L, 85 1.8, Canon 16-35L, Canon 100 2.8L IS Macro, Speedlight 580EX II x 2, 430 EX, enthusiasm.:D http://svetlanayanova.​com/ (external link)

Join me on Facebook (external link)! :)

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 13, 2011 23:58 |  #3

Svetlana wrote in post #13541937 (external link)
You put on a professional face and shoot. The situations you described involve a photographer who UNknowingly finds himself in such a situation.

However if I was approached to do a shoot I knew would make me uncomfortable I would decline the gig (I've had that happen before, e.g. I had a guy email me wanting photos of him and his girlfriend having sex. I know, how could I have declined it????! LOL)...

Exactly. And it's those situation that I want to know. The ones you did not wanted to shoot but had to do it. Either because you unknowingly found yourself in the situation or even if you knew it would happen but still had to do it.

Hi, I'm David.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,563 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 14, 2011 00:19 |  #4

Hmmmm......I've never had a personally bad experience (like having an ex book me to shoot her along with her new boyfriend) but I have come across a few shoots where I've encountered individuals that were......to put it nicely.....photogenica​lly challenged ;) Now let me state that I'm probably on the photogenically challenged side myself and I don't judge a person upon their looks......but I always get a bit nervous when my clients fall on that side simply because I've found that they are more likely to not like photos of themselves no matter what. This isn't always the case but, IME, it can be a problem.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 14, 2011 00:21 |  #5

Ask the guys/gals who were at the Reno Air Races and captured the crash.

I guarantee none of them wanted to shoot it and since it's a fairly small community, most of them knew the pilot very well.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

Rivest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,678 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 14, 2011 00:51 |  #6

Somehow Jay, when I posted the thread, I was sure you'd have a story to share.

That's airplane crash is a perfect examples of the stories I want to know. You know, the time when you are shooting but would prefer looking back over your shoulder instead of the viewfinder :|

Hi, I'm David.

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 14, 2011 01:09 |  #7

Rivest wrote in post #13542178 (external link)
Somehow Jay, when I posted the thread, I was sure you'd have a story to share.

That's airplane crash is a perfect examples of the stories I want to know. You know, the time when you are shooting but would prefer looking back over your shoulder instead of the viewfinder :|

It's entirely situation-dependent IMO...

If you're "working" and are expected to deliver images from a photo-journalistic point of view, you divorce yourself from your emotions and you keep the hammer down. I was not at Reno but in my previous life, I was present for the deaths of three different race car drivers in races that were being televised. The most notable was Dale Earnhardt Sr. at Daytona in 2001.

We all knew something was horribly wrong but we had jobs to do and despite that awful feeling in the pit of the stomach, the camera guys kept shooting and we kept recording in Slo-Mo replay land. Then we re-wound our angles and played them back to air as required.

Racing and Aviation have one unfortunate mantra in common: "If you're around either long enough, you will lose friends."

I pray that I never have to keep my still camera trained on a crash but if and when the time comes, I hope I can perform as a professional.

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

kfreels
Goldmember
4,297 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 18, 2011 19:20 |  #8

Svetlana wrote in post #13541937 (external link)

Exactly.

I am serious....and don't call me Shirley.
Canon 7D and a bunch of other stuff

Jumpcut
182 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 19, 2011 03:00 |  #9

I'm a tv news cameraman. I've shot hundreds of things, that as an individual I would rather not shoot (usually involving death, either aircraft/car/train accidents or building fires).

However, as another post said, you suck it up and do the job you are paid to do. More often than not the viewfinder acts as a barrier at the time. It's later on that those things can get to you.

Darren

5D III, 7D, 40D, EF-S 18-55 IS, EF-S 55-250 IS, EF 50 II, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS, EF 24-70 F2.8L II, EF 70-200L f2.8 IS, EF 24-105L f4 IS, 580EXII, Elinchrom Skyports, 2xVivitar 285HV Flashes

ratempa
438 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 19, 2011 04:58 |  #10

The only time I can think of is a couple of days ago I shot with a potential model for my clients new line. It was a test shoot anyways, but the moment I saw her I knew it was a waste of time for both of us. Being out of shape is okay, but for modeling? Not okay! Especially misrepresenting yourself with a pic that's a couple years old. Anyways that's why I test shoot.

FaceBook (external link)
500px (external link)
InstaGram (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 19, 2011 22:46 |  #11

I used to be a reporter/news photographer...plenty of stuff (dead people with grieving relatives/friends/etc nearby/yelling at me, etc) I didn't want to shoot...part of the package, though.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 19, 2011 23:57 |  #12

LowriderS10 wrote in post #13571709 (external link)
I used to be a reporter/news photographer...plenty of stuff (dead people with grieving relatives/friends/etc nearby/yelling at me, etc) I didn't want to shoot...part of the package, though.

I worked as a photographer for a newspaper for 17 years. The worse jobs imaginable are what we call "death knocks" in the industry. No-one wants to do them but when we are assigned these jobs, there's no choice.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 20, 2011 00:19 |  #13

yogestee wrote in post #13572003 (external link)
I worked as a photographer for a newspaper for 17 years. The worse jobs imaginable are what we call "death knocks" in the industry. No-one wants to do them but when we are assigned these jobs, there's no choice.

Absolutely...I remember one (easily the most heart-wrenching one)...girl was out with a bunch of her idiot coke-head/drunk friends and the driver (royally substance-d out of her mind) crashed the car, killing the 17 year old girl.

I found the mom's house and had to go do the death knock...usually people would either talk or tell me to eff off. Well, this woman was already broken down, crying (only hours after the daughter died) and she just pleaded with me in the saddest tone ever saying "please...not right now. Please...I can't do it...please" while holding flowers someone brought...it still makes me sad thinking about it.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 20, 2011 02:02 |  #14

While at college for photography when I was young I walked into the darkroom at the main police detachment where I was doing a practicum and encountered blood splatter shots. A drugged out biker cut up a woman with a samurai sword. It was right around then I decided that working for the police in forensics wasn't for me. They did have some cool gear though including an electron microscope.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,328 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 20, 2011 02:07 |  #15

Rivest wrote in post #13541920 (external link)
The question might sound strange, but that's something I'm asking myself. Have you ever shot a picture (or a series of it) but you weren't comfortable to do it or really did not wanted to do it?

Some quick examples, let's say you broke with your girlfriend/wife some days ago, one night you are shooting an event and you have to take studio pictures of every couple. She's there with someone else. Awkward situation right?

Another situation could be a client wants pictures with his best friend. You meet up on location for the shoot, turns out you know his friend and you particularly hate him.

Could also be photojournalist work, turns out you know the victim.

Did any of you encountered a similar situation? I'm curious about your uncomfortable stories, I'm sure some of you have had some similar experience.

Let's share!

I did my ex-wife's wedding. Business is business.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

sponsored links

3,810 views & 0 likes for this thread
Have you ever shot something/someone you did not wanted to?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.