Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
Thread started 11 Dec 2011 (Sunday) 22:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Saturday Wedding

Laserlight
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 18, 2011 23:05 |  #16

k-style wrote in post #13565913 (external link)
if you see that you are interfering with the pro, back the hell off....have some consideration, you are not the one being paid, nor the one binded to a contract to submit good work to the bride....you can very well be messing with the photographers business, complete lack of respect.

Number 1 -- I agree totally with your statement, but assuming I kept on taking photos to intentionally piss the pro photographer off is a mistake.

Number 2 -- I was a friend of the wedding party and was asked to take pictures.

Number 3 -- Once I saw the Pro photographers look I waited until they were done with the photos and politely apologized to the pro photographer and she was very understanding..

Number 4 -- I thought this was a picture sharing forum, and discussion board. Next time I'll keep my comments and photos to my self.

7D - Tokina 12-24, Canon 28-135, 70-200 4L, 85mm 1.8, Zeikos Battery Grip, Flash - 430 EX II

sponsored links
Laserlight
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 18, 2011 23:11 |  #17

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #13565056 (external link)
I would say the fact that they were pissing off the main photographer and/or bride would be what is wrong with that, and the fact that you posted that on a forum with professional photographers doesnt make sense to me.

The reason I posted that was because I was asked a question... Whats wrong with answering that?

You've never made mistakes...

7D - Tokina 12-24, Canon 28-135, 70-200 4L, 85mm 1.8, Zeikos Battery Grip, Flash - 430 EX II

LeonaS
29 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 19, 2011 04:58 |  #18

Great photos, really clear!

SchwettyLens
197 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 19, 2011 08:28 |  #19

With how easy it is to learn how to shoot a DSLR nowadays, everyone has one. Bringing a DSLR to a wedding is ok IMO, but you are in the gray area. If your intent is to build your wedding portfolio, that is a big NO NO. Best way is to just leave it at home and bring a P&S camera and enjoy the party!
Most of wedding contracts will specify not to have any other photographers during the formal session.

http://usagani.com (external link)

Laserlight
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 19, 2011 08:39 |  #20

I guess I'm at a loss, whether it's a P and S or a cell phone camera if the pro photographer didn't take the time to inform the family that no other cameras allowed that's their loss. Yes, granted it was a bad choice on my part to not notice the pro but regardless of camera type taken, speak up pro.

Laserlight
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 20, 2011 05:29 |  #21

Great Pictures, and by the way I was the one taking the pictures (Steve's wife) the bride's and her family are very close to me and asked if Steve would bring his camera to get shots that the so called professional might miss, which was a good call because half the time she was feeding her face at the buffet or having a cocktail in the bar! Nice work Steve!

Laserlight
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 20, 2011 05:33 |  #22

Also, regarding the saturday wedding photo's, the Bride was very happy to have her picture taken by Steve, as she is a very close friend of mine. The only reason they did not ask Steve to be the photographer is b/c he was there as part of the family and they wanted him to enjoy the wedding!!!! Wow, may I ask??? Have any of you ever taken pictures at a wedding? I thought this was a share and learn page, but apparently some of you are really mean.

rhommel
187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Dec 20, 2011 08:29 |  #23

Laserlight wrote in post #13572709 (external link)
Wow, may I ask??? Have any of you ever taken pictures at a wedding?

I can't speak for everyone but personally, I've never brought my gear whenever I attend weddings as a guest and have never taken any photos of wedding that i've been invited to.

Don't Click This (external link)

k-style
"I get it now...... Or do I?"
1,497 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 20, 2011 08:57 |  #24

"so called professional"? How do you think your friends would feel if they read that you think their choice for the person in charge of such a big responsibility was a poor choice?...Bottomline, the only thing that rubbed me wrong was that the OP noticed the photographer was uncomfortable and even the bride gave gave him a dirty look but he seemed not to care much anyways.

This is a picture sharing forum and aside from what seems a lack of professional respect towards the hired photographer, there is really nothing special about the pictures posted, nice expressions, boring composition, flat lighting...seems like they were shot using the green box...if the bride and groom are happy you captured moments the hired gun missed well then I'm happy for them, but you could have captured the same type of shots with a P&S and not have been as intrusive.

"You know an odd feeling? Sitting on the toilet eating a chocolate candy bar."
-George Carlin-
My Blog! (external link)
| Canon 5DMKII | Nikon D700 | Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 | Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 | Nikkor 105 f2.8 micro | Sigma 15mm f2.8 | 135L f2.0 | 50L f1.2 | 35L f1.4 | 24LII f1.4 | 580EXII | sb-900

Laserlight
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 20, 2011 09:11 |  #25

k-style wrote in post #13573253 (external link)
"so called professional"? How do you think your friends would feel if they read that you think their choice for the person in charge of such a big responsibility was a poor choice?...Bottomline, the only thing that rubbed me wrong was that the OP noticed the photographer was uncomfortable and even the bride gave gave him a dirty look but he seemed not to care much anyways.

This is a picture sharing forum and aside from what seems a lack of professional respect towards the hired photographer, there is really nothing special about the pictures posted, nice expressions, boring composition, flat lighting...seems like they were shot using the green box...if the bride and groom are happy you captured moments the hired gun missed well then I'm happy for them, but you could have captured the same type of shots with a P&S and not have been as intrusive.

I am the OP and if you took the time to read my responses you would have read I stopped after the Pro looked at me. And I do believe I mentioned I apologized to the pro , yet I was asked by the family to take pics. Not once did I mention the bride giving me a dirt look just the Pro.

As for taking a P and S it's just smaller yet has a flash as well as a DSLR and would have interfered just as much as a DSLR. So honestly I'm not sure how u see a difference in that. As for my composition and lack luster photos you commented on I accept your criticism and thank you for your input. I know to stay out of the Wedding forum as everyone seems to have it in for my one mistake. Thanks for your time, I'll start posting my pics on the CC forum instead.

k-style
"I get it now...... Or do I?"
1,497 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 20, 2011 09:27 |  #26

Honestly we all share a live for photography here and I'm honest to myself and perhaps you should be to, it's hard not to be intrusive when you walk into a wedding with a DSLR, no matter how you put it and the fact that you are sharing these here, shows to you it wasn't so much about the B&G, but more the shots you could get, it's natural to have that feeling, same reason I don't allow myself to take my gear to any event where I'm not hired, specially a wedding where I feel I might get in the way trying to seize an opportunity of a good shot, hell sometimes I get in the way of the hired main photog as the second shooter...lol

Next time leave the bulky gear at home man, most wedding photographers contract is voided if the B&G have a friend or family member bring their camera to capture those moments he might miss, if they didn't feel confident in his skill, perhaps they should have saved their money hiring him.

"You know an odd feeling? Sitting on the toilet eating a chocolate candy bar."
-George Carlin-
My Blog! (external link)
| Canon 5DMKII | Nikon D700 | Nikkor 14-24 f2.8 | Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 | Nikkor 105 f2.8 micro | Sigma 15mm f2.8 | 135L f2.0 | 50L f1.2 | 35L f1.4 | 24LII f1.4 | 580EXII | sb-900

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 20, 2011 16:17 |  #27

This topic got heated quickly. I have a similar opinion of K-style, but my own opinions as well.

If you want to bring your camera to a wedding, go for it. I dont care when guests have their camera, only when they consistently get in the way. When you first made your post, saying that you were pissing off the bride because you were pissing off the pro, yet it didnt seem like you cared, that is what I had the problem with. After you explained yourself, I dont see an issue. You seemed to be considerate, wanting to take photos, and once you noticed you were being intrusive you backed off.

There is a big difference once you explained yourself. For example, when you first posted, I read it as a this: (insert metaphor).

I was kicking the back of the man's seat in the movie theater. He turned around, obviously annoyed with me, but I continued to do it anyways. Who cares?!

vs. (after you explained yourself)
I kicked the back of the man's chair in the movie theater. He turned around obviously annoyed, I apologized and didn't do it again.

See the difference? Scenario 1 - the person is acting like a jerk. Scenario 2 - it was an honest mistake, no harm/no foul. I see the what happened in your situation more like scenario 2, while at first it was explained like scenario 1. Does that make sense?

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 20, 2011 16:24 |  #28

Anyways, on to the crit.

1. Cute snap. Looks like groom and dad after the money dance. The WB is a bit warm, but it is within the acceptable range.

2. this just looks like a snapshot to me, a bit too cropped in. The lighting is fairly flat, and doenst show emotion.

3. Cute snap again, but flat lighting. I would have messed with the b&w levels a little to get the bride's skin tones a bit lighter so her face doesnt look so dark, but that is my style.

4. Again, flat lighting, but one of the better images. WB is still a bit warm, but again, acceptable. I would have backed off a few feet so I wouldnt have cut off the top of her head.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

Laserlight
THREAD ­ STARTER
258 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 20, 2011 20:35 |  #29

I wasn't the photographer.... but i think i was pissing her off.

That was my response to what people thought was a comment about pissing the bride off. I guess it never occured to anyone that a Pro Photographer can be female. LOL

NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember
2,343 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 20, 2011 21:15 |  #30

Laserlight wrote in post #13576497 (external link)
...about pissing the bride off. I guess it never occured to anyone that a Pro Photographer can be female. LOL

Really?? Tell me how this next grouping of quotes couldn't imply that you easily could have been referring to the bride as "she":

Svetlana wrote in post #13532392 (external link)
where is the bride?

Laserlight wrote in post #13533415 (external link)
I wasn't the photographer.... but i think i was pissing her off.

Her?? the bride??

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #13549394 (external link)
Why were you pissing off the bride?

Quad-Response wrote in post #13549808 (external link)
yes do tell :lol:

Laserlight wrote in post #13560723 (external link)
Pissing off the the paid photographer... Our flashes were competing. [non sequitur?] And she turned and gave me a dirty look.

She?? The bride??
Coming here and calling everybody here sexists is not a great thing to do.

Canon 7D | 70-200mm f2.8is II L | 24-70mm f2.8 L | 50mm f1.8 | 28mm f1.8 | Canon 1.4x TC II | 580EX II

sponsored links

7,701 views & 0 likes for this thread
Saturday Wedding
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.