Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 15 Dec 2011 (Thursday) 22:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Two Portraits

Viva-photography
Goldmember
1,442 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Dec 15, 2011 22:45 |  #1

Just some fun shots I took with friends.

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7013/6519238201_6ec75301d0_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7012/6519240273_9715dc7b5a_b.jpg

jaredholtphoto.com (external link)
Canon 5D Mark II// Canon 85mm f/1.8//Sigma 35mm f/1.4//Canon 70-200 f/4L

sponsored links
chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 16, 2011 07:16 |  #2

Your "looking down" perspectives are not very flattering.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Dec 16, 2011 09:13 as a reply to  @ chauncey's post |  #3

^+ Forcing subjects to look up at you seldom leads to keepers. Get down to your subject's level. This is something that every paper snapping pictures of their kids should be taught.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

toastyphoto
302 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 17, 2011 08:18 |  #4

I might add that in the second photo there's a tad bit too much contrast and saturation. You can tell this because the mulch on the ground should not have a magenta tint.

5D II | 24-70 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 50 1.4 | 430 EX II x2 | PW ControlTL

DMPRO78
23 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 18, 2011 00:13 |  #5

joedlh wrote in post #13553937 (external link)
^+ Forcing subjects to look up at you seldom leads to keepers. Get down to your subject's level. This is something that every paper snapping pictures of their kids should be taught.

You are quite wrong with this statement. The looking down approach is well documented as a good technique, however, the composition and posing needs to be addressed in every case. The hand with a wrist bent like it's broken pose ruins the entire pose, not the angle of view. And to add to the problem, the head of the subject should have been angled instead of being straight up and down. The worst that can be said ofthis image is... it's cropped wrong. This blanket statement about angle of view from above is not fundamentally sound.

Dave Prouty
De gustibus non est disputandum!

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Dec 19, 2011 11:36 |  #6

DMPRO78 wrote in post #13561762 (external link)
The looking down approach is well documented as a good technique,

References, please, for some of those documents.

I've been a photographer for decades. I've never seen anyone having any authoritative knowledge recommend look-down shots. And I've seldom seen any such shots that were flattering to the subject. I stand by my statement that it's a fundamental error in technical judgment.

Joe
Editing ok

DAMphyne
"the more I post, the less accurate..."
2,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2003

Dec 19, 2011 17:15 |  #7

It's the newest style.
The same perspective as a self portrait with a cell phone.
The bane of Facebook.

David
Digital set me free
"Welcome Seeker! Now, don't feel alone here in the New Age, because there's a seeker born every minute.";)
www.damphyne.com (external link)

JimMcrae
938 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 19, 2011 17:51 |  #8

joedlh wrote in post #13553937 (external link)

I find this interesting Joe. I read some portrait guru - sorry but his name escapes me, so no reference ;) - stating that females looking up made the whites of the eyes bigger, and as such, is generally considered attractive (in females). I tried this with quite pleasing effect on a recent shoot (standing on a chair).

I'm not challenging you on this mate as I generally read anything you've got to say with interest and genuinely respect your views on here as one of the most knowledgeable members. Just interested to hear your views on that.

60d, 400d, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6, 24-105mm f/4, 50mm f/1.4, 580ex II, 2 X 430ex II, Bowens 500, cs5

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 19, 2011 18:31 as a reply to  @ JimMcrae's post |  #9

In t his particular case, I'll grant you this. Nevertheless, a common "error" is parents taking pictures of their kids. They stand over them and shoot down on them. The common advice is to "get down to their level". Asking a subject to crane his or her neck to look up at the camera is an awkward and tiring pose and it comes across in the image. Perhaps we're talking about two different techniques or perhaps a matter of degree.

Joe
Editing ok

JimMcrae
938 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 20, 2011 03:49 |  #10

joedlh wrote in post #13570655 (external link)
In t his particular case, I'll grant you this. Nevertheless, a common "error" is parents taking pictures of their kids. They stand over them and shoot down on them. The common advice is to "get down to their level". Asking a subject to crane his or her neck to look up at the camera is an awkward and tiring pose and it comes across in the image. Perhaps we're talking about two different techniques or perhaps a matter of degree.

Yup, I'm with you on that and all makes sense. The shots I took standing up on the chair looked a bit weird, but on crouching, much better, so that's a matter of "degree"... and with being only slightly above her, she didn't need to crane her neck... although I wasn't particularly comfortable! :) Cheers Joe.

60d, 400d, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6, 24-105mm f/4, 50mm f/1.4, 580ex II, 2 X 430ex II, Bowens 500, cs5

shopguy10
59 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 20, 2011 09:47 |  #11

I really like the lighting in the first shot! I think your focus and composition are spot on as well. The angle of the subject meeting with the railing make the eye move through the photo! This makes for a nice asymmetrical portrait with visual interest. While not being the most flattering angle to shoot people from, I do think it makes for an interesting perspective! As for number two......aaaa.....I just don't like it ......sorry.

"Just keep shooting!" Gripped 50D, 50mm 1.8 fantastic plastic!, 28-70m 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 and some other crap!

waterrockets
Goldmember
3,931 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Dec 20, 2011 10:24 |  #12

joedlh wrote in post #13568432 (external link)
References, please, for some of those documents.

I've been a photographer for decades. I've never seen anyone having any authoritative knowledge recommend look-down shots. And I've seldom seen any such shots that were flattering to the subject. I stand by my statement that it's a fundamental error in technical judgment.

I'm not sure is was for people, in particular, but Bryan Peterson mentions grabbing a ladder all the time, and that he loves shooting down. Even rented a helicopter on a hunch, for a straight-down shot.

1D MkIV | 1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | 430EXii | EF 50mm f1.8

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 29, 2011 19:38 |  #13

so I quite like the 2nd one. If I am doing a series of shots, I like to include one from this angle, especially in little kids as it really focuses on the eyes. Now I am not saying include all your portoilo with these.

Nothing wrong with adding something a little different.

[CENTER]My Facebook (external link) (please like me) My Website (external link)[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

sponsored links

2,830 views & 0 likes for this thread
Two Portraits
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.