Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 19 Dec 2011 (Monday) 11:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My wedding photographer... OMG :-( !

tagnal
Goldmember
1,255 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 19, 2011 13:38 |  #16

Nick_Reading.UK wrote in post #13568259 (external link)
I got married in Brazil 5 days ago. Congrats to me :-) (And i am still here until January :-)

Congrats!

She (The photographer) was using a Nikon Crop with a kit lens (I would think that FF is the norm for a wedding?)..

My wedding photographer was using a Nikon Crop camera. Our pictures turned out great.

She was using direct flash all the time without a defuser...

One doesn't necessarily need a diffuser...

When i asked the misses to ask if i could have the RAW files she didn't even know what RAW was...

That is pretty bad. If photography is one's profession, they should be knowledgeable in it enough to know what RAW is, even if they choose not to use it.

I had my 60D with me with my 17-55mm, she commented at the end that her dream is to have my camera....
We paid the equivalent of 400 British pounds..

You get what you pay for. As others have mentioned above, did you check out her portfolio first before hiring her? What do those images look like?

On a side note, when my wife and I were getting ready to make save-the-date cards, we asked one of our friends to go to the beach with us and take our pictures for us. She only has an XSi and kit lens. I also brought my 50 1.8 for her to use that day as well. As far as how to use all the settings on her camera or what RAW is or how to change depth of field, she was pretty clueless. Even so, her eye for composition and creative ideas for shots were pretty good. I took the photos and did post processing on them myself (not much was even needed) and we got several really great shots to use on our save-the-date cards.

So, I guess I'm saying, it might not be as bad as you may have initially thought. The only way to really get any idea would be to see her portfolio of work.

5D3 / M3 / S100 / Σ 35 Art / 50 1.8 / 135 L / 17-40 L / 24-70 L / 70-200 f/4 IS L / m 22 2.0 / 580ex II
Toy List | flickr (external link) | FAA (external link)

sponsored links
NASS ­ Photo
Goldmember
2,123 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 19, 2011 14:55 |  #17

2slo wrote in post #13569085 (external link)
Sounds like you aren't married! 1st rule of marriage: wives are never wrong :lol:

Nick. Congrats on the wedding. Just do not forget rule #1, and your marriage will last a long time. If you expect the worst from the photographer, who did not 'appear' to be a pro, the pics might be ok, or even better. Keep your fingers crossed on the pics. My wife and I did not get the pics that we wanted, when we got married, so we got dressed up again, and took some formal poses with a timer. We still have one of them blown up, and hanging on the wall.

NickS

Canon 5DMIII; Canon EF35mm, f/1.4L; EF85mm, f/1.8; EF135mm, f/2.0L; EF200mm, f/2.8L.

d3m0n_edge
59 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 19, 2011 17:54 |  #18

Funny how this photographer is judged on their kit rather their somewhat ability or creativity. But just trying to brighten up the mood here, for all we know, the photographer might be kick-ass at photoshop and produce some very nice shots!! =P

Canon EOS 60D || EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM || EF-S 55-250mm IS || EF 50mm 1.8 MK II || Sigma 10-22mm || Speedlite 430EX II
Gear List || Facebook (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 19, 2011 17:59 |  #19

If the photog turns out to be pretty good then the wife will be happy. If not, she will get on your case for not interfering and helping her choose a photog. Basically, you can't win, so don't even try :-)

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

thallikar
323 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 19, 2011 18:02 |  #20

bohdank wrote in post #13570490 (external link)
If the photog turns out to be pretty good then the wife will be happy. If not, she will get on your case for not interfering and helping her choose a photog. Basically, you can't win, so don't even try :-)

LOL. I agree. +1

http://500px.com/thall​ikar (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/64724969@N06/ (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 19, 2011 18:07 |  #21
bannedPermanent ban

d3m0n_edge wrote in post #13570465 (external link)
Funny how this photographer is judged on their kit rather their somewhat ability or creativity. But just trying to brighten up the mood here, for all we know, the photographer might be kick-ass at photoshop and produce some very nice shots!! =P

You do realize that the cameras and lenses are the tools. You need the right tools for the job. There are inferior tools and better ones. There are tools that can break. There are tools that would make the jobs done a lot faster and easier. The argument about not the gear that does the job is getting old.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 19, 2011 18:24 |  #22

I'd rather one of my mates decked out with FF cameras and L primes photographing my wedding than Dennis Reggie with a kit lens and built in flash, but that's just me.

Hope they turn out well though, I have seen decent shots with that setup so definitely there is hope there

Congrats on getting married! That's the important thing :) Happy relationship, great wife - who cares about the photos :)

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,786 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 19, 2011 18:24 as a reply to  @ TooManyShots's post |  #23

I just scanned our weddings negatives from 15+ years ago.
Photographer was total moron or (and) drunk (which wasn't unusual back then).
But we were in focus and I'm glad we have at least something.
Wish you to look at your photos from wedding after 15+ of happy marriage. ;)

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 19, 2011 18:26 |  #24

Congrats!!!

She (The photographer) was using a Nikon Crop with a kit lens (I would think that FF is the norm for a wedding?)...

The Nikon D5100 has lots of features. One of which is selective colouring in built! According to Nikon ads, it allows for creative photos making your portraits and weddings poop-out. :D So if she is using this camera you are golden!

I had my 60D with me with my 17-55mm, she commented at the end that her dream is to have my camera....

Yes, despite the vehement denials from many nikonians, the genuine professionals secretly lust to go to Canon. :razz:
I think it's the thin red line.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link)
No toys. Just tools. (external link) :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?! (external link)

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 19, 2011 18:40 |  #25

delhi wrote in post #13570624 (external link)
Congrats!!!

The Nikon D5100 has lots of features. One of which is selective colouring in built! According to Nikon ads, it allows for creative photos making your portraits and weddings poop-out. :D So if she is using this camera you are golden!

Yes, despite the vehement denials from many nikonians, the genuine professionals secretly lust to go to Canon. :razz:
I think it's the thin red line.

My first one did.;):)

My Gear

V-Wiz
Goldmember
2,255 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 19, 2011 18:44 |  #26

Lol.

Gripped 5D Mark II l 24-105 F/4 L l 70-200 F/4 L l Tokina 12-24 F4 l 50mm 1.8 l Sigma 600 Mirror l B+W KSM CPL l B+W 6stop ND filter l Hitech 0.6 GND l YN-468 Flash l Kenko Pro 300 1.4 TC l Induro Tripod, Vanguard 250 Ballhead.

Point-n-shoot-n
Goldmember
1,915 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 19, 2011 21:32 |  #27

My dear old dad used to say "there are photographers, then there is them that takes pictures".....

Canon 5D mk IV, Canon 5D mk iii, Canon 5d classic, Rebel XTI 400D 18-55 kit lens, Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8, Canon EF 17-40 F4L, Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LD, Canon 70-200 F2.8 iiL, Canon EF135 F2 L, Canon 200 F2 L, Tamron 28-75 1:2.8 , 2 alien bee 800's, 430 EXii, 580 EXii, rectangular and octo softboxes, assorted umbrellas, portable backdrops, radio triggers and still adding.............

karobinson
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 19, 2011 21:43 |  #28

Knobspinner wrote in post #13569051 (external link)
You let your wife pick the photog! Best move ever, you have nothing to worry about. No matter how they turn out, don't complain. The memories are the important part, the photos are there just to jog the memory.

bw!

Ann Robinson:)
My Gear: bunch of stuff;....some I love ... some I hate ... some I can't live without..loving my 5d3...

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 19, 2011 22:16 |  #29

FF is not a necessity (I've shot a couple of weddings with a pair of 30Ds), but using a kit lens is much more of a worry (slow focus, not really fast enough, etc)...I didn't diffuse my flashes either, I bounced them off the ceilings and used remote flashes to fill as well...

But...I think you're right to be worried, really interested in seeing what the pics look like :D

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

elrey2375
Thinks it's irresponsible
4,992 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 19, 2011 22:18 |  #30

TooManyShots wrote in post #13570523 (external link)
You do realize that the cameras and lenses are the tools. You need the right tools for the job. There are inferior tools and better ones. There are tools that can break. There are tools that would make the jobs done a lot faster and easier. The argument about not the gear that does the job is getting old.

I think you might be missing the point. It's just as possible to take great photos with gear you would consider 'inferior' as it is to take crap photos with a Mark II and L primes. It's ultimately the photographer that matters. For just about anything but sports, you could conceivably use any number of camera bodies from beginner to professional, and still turn out a very professional looking product. The argument may be getting old to you but it's very true.

http://emjfotografi.co​m/ (external link)
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografi (external link)

sponsored links

84,280 views & 1 like for this thread
My wedding photographer... OMG :-( !
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.