Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 20 Mar 2007 (Tuesday) 22:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Advice for Gymnastics Photogs

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 22, 2011 12:28 as a reply to  @ post 8918221 |  #181

Take a spot reading from a thigh or face and do a custom WB and then shoot manual and the 50D is all you need. That is what I have and will post some after next month's meet if I can go. I'll also do some dodging on the faces in post.

sponsored links
Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Nov 23, 2011 21:26 |  #182

I just got a message from the director of the gymnastics meet next Sat. No one is allowed to take pictures, not even parents. They have a photographer under contract and if anyone wants any pics of their kids he will take them and you have to buy the pics from him. Welcome to WV.

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2003

Nov 24, 2011 11:51 |  #183

Shooting wrote in post #13443531 (external link)
I just got a message from the director of the gymnastics meet next Sat. No one is allowed to take pictures, not even parents. They have a photographer under contract and if anyone wants any pics of their kids he will take them and you have to buy the pics from him. Welcome to WV.

Hardly any way to enforce that if each parent comes in bearing pocket camera. I always wonder about those kinds of restrictions. It's been my experience that it usually is a semipro whose work leaves something to be desired--like being able to focus.

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,520 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Nov 24, 2011 14:01 |  #184

Shooting wrote in post #13443531 (external link)

Here is what is going on. A local photographer made an agreement with the gym. The photog gets exclusivity and gives a kickback to the gym. The idea is that by restricting parents, the photog makes more sales, and in return he gives some money to the gym so everyone (except the parents, who actually support the gym) wins. If the photog is great and affordable then the deal is not too bad. If the photog is mediocre and sucks then this is a raw deal.

Don't let them intimidate you. You, the person forking over the hundreds of dollars in fees to the gym upfront, still have all the real power. Go to the top person at the gym. Let them know that you strenuously object to their photography policy. Explain that you know what is going on. And finally, pull your kid out and go to a different gym.

At least around here, there are plenty of gyms for the less serious gymnasts (I have several in my family, as opposed to my level 9 nephew where things are different). In any case, if you foster a revolt by the parents then the incestuous relationship between the gym and photographer will not stand. Never be afraid to stand up for your rights as the purchaser.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

tomcat7886
Goldmember
3,277 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Nov 24, 2011 20:00 |  #185

Chanced upon this thread... really interesting. :)

Canon T2i | 18-55mm IS Kit | Tamron 17-50 f2.8 VC | Joby Gorillapod SLR-Zoommmmm! | Black Canon Edition Crumpler Industry Disgrace
Crumpler on Sale: BLACK https://photography-on-the.net ...ghlight=industry+di​sgrace

Shooting
Goldmember
1,552 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 19, 2011 20:35 |  #186

One day before the event the main organizer tells me their contracted photographer quit and do I want the job. I smiled from ear to ear and said you betcha..hahahaha..I get there and was so dismayed at the very dim lighting in that high school gym. Getting any kind of shutter speed to capture the vault was next to nothing. Will post a couple images soon.

JeffreyG
15,520 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 19, 2011 21:03 |  #187

Shooting wrote in post #13571122 (external link)
I get there and was so dismayed at the very dim lighting in that high school gym.

I find youth gymnastics typically need ISO 12800, 1/640 and f/2.8. If you are willing to use primes (85/1.8 and 135L) you can get down to ISO 6400.

You should have been prepared for the lighting before taking the job.

Butch ­ Cassidy
462 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 20, 2011 03:17 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #188

What JefferyG said ! You should have been prepared for the lighting before taking the job.

Be careful what you ask for !! It always looks and seems easy, But it " Ain't "

Butch Cassidy " Might have to rob a train, for more gear money"
50D _ 85 f1.8 USM _ 16-35 f2.8 L IS USM _ 24-70 2.8 L USM _ 70-200 f2.8 L IS USM _ 300 f2.8 L IS USM _ 580 EX 11

handspringcrazy
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 08, 2012 15:53 |  #189

http://www.flickr.com …6662329421/in/p​hotostream (external link)

I am very new to the world of DSLRs (I bought my camera 3 days ago and have never taken any photography classes). I had the settings on ISO 6400 (which I am learning is way too high- after reading some of these posts), and i'm not sure what the aperture was (it told me i couldn't set it because i think i didn't have the lens on right). I was in shutter priority setting with a ss of 1/350, because they came out too dark if i set it any higher.

I have the lens on correctly now and i don't think the aperture goes any lower than f/4. is there any hope to improve my photos?
I only have an 18-55mm but luckily I am easily allowed on the floor due to the perk of being a former gymnast =] I also had it on manual focus. Is auto-focus better?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I am very new at this but love gymnastics and photography!

JeffreyG
15,520 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 08, 2012 16:22 |  #190

handspringcrazy wrote in post #13669070 (external link)
I was in shutter priority setting with a ss of 1/350, because they came out too dark if i set it any higher.

This is why I do not use shutter priority in low light situations. If you ask for a shutter speed and ISO that require a faster aperture than your lens can provide, the result is underexposure.

Av would be a better choice, set the lens wide open and then raise the ISO until you get shutter speeds that are reasonable.

And as you become more experienced, M mode will generally be best for indoor sports.

I have the lens on correctly now and i don't think the aperture goes any lower than f/4. is there any hope to improve my photos?
I only have an 18-55mm but luckily I am easily allowed on the floor due to the perk of being a former gymnast =]

Your lens is actually capable of f/3.5 at the wide end and it will become capable of only f/5.6 as you zoom towards 55mm. It has a variable maximum aperture that is dependent on the zoom setting.

The real issue is that your lens is too slow for indoor sports. You need a lens with a larger maximum aperture. I'd suggest one of the 85mm or 50mm primes, the 85/1.8 or 50/1.4 if you can afford it and the 50/1.8 if you can't.

I also had it on manual focus. Is auto-focus better?

I would use AF most of the time. The only time you should be flipping the lens to MF mode is when you are prefocusing. Like for vault, you may find it impossible to maintain AF while tracking a flipping athlete. You could instead pre-focus and take the shot as they pass through the place you focused on.

Use servo mode for focus for sports.

handspringcrazy
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 08, 2012 18:20 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #191

Thank you for the advice and quick response! :) For now I'll try the AF servo mode and Av setting

JeffreyG
15,520 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 08, 2012 18:29 |  #192

handspringcrazy wrote in post #13669826 (external link)
Thank you for the advice and quick response! :) For now I'll try the AF servo mode and Av setting

Take shots, come back to POTN and post them, ask for more advice.

People are usually very helpful here, and posting photos and asking for advice will increase your knowledge pretty fast.

fritzk3
239 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 11, 2012 09:24 |  #193

Does the 50D make a huge difference over the 40D? It looks like I could upgrade for about $200, but would want to make sure that's the right incremental move. My daughter is doing gymnastics currently, but she's only 5 years old and I don't get the opportunity to shoot that often, so I don't need top-of-the-line gear... just something that will get me good results more often than not.

Canon 40D • EF-S 18-55 IS • EF-S 55-250 IS EF 28-135 IS USM EF 50/1.8 EF 85/1.8

JeffreyG
15,520 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 11, 2012 09:44 |  #194

fritzk3 wrote in post #13685177 (external link)
Does the 50D make a huge difference over the 40D?.

No, very little meaningful difference.

fritzk3
239 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 11, 2012 10:03 |  #195

JeffreyG wrote in post #13685312 (external link)
No, very little meaningful difference.

Thanks for the prompt reply. What's your opinion on the 7D? Is that body a worthwhile upgrade?

I'm a hobbyist (or maybe enthusiast at best) who just wants to be able to count on his equipment to perform admirably if I apply the correct techniques. I have no belief at this time that I would ever make money from photography - just want to document my own family as best I can.

Canon 40D • EF-S 18-55 IS • EF-S 55-250 IS EF 28-135 IS USM EF 50/1.8 EF 85/1.8

sponsored links

61,492 views & 0 likes for this thread
Advice for Gymnastics Photogs
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.