Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 19 Dec 2011 (Monday) 11:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My wedding photographer... OMG :-( !

phreeky
Goldmember
3,514 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 19, 2011 22:25 |  #31

You don't need FF. The kit lenses aren't THAT bad. Direct flash for fill is not necessarily bad, especially if outdoors. Best just wait and see, you might be pleasantly surprised - not much else you can do now anyway.

Congrats btw

sponsored links
nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 19, 2011 23:33 |  #32

Certainly, the whole kit lens and popup flash description doesn't sound all that promising. This could be another GWC doing weddings on the cheap type of deal but as others have mentioned we should reserve judgement until we see the final product.

I can certainly shoot a wedding with a crop body and kit lens, but obviously it wouldn't be the best tool for the job.

yogestee
"my posts can be a little colourful"
13,845 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Dec 2007

Dec 19, 2011 23:39 |  #33

delhi wrote in post #13570624 (external link)
Yes, despite the vehement denials from many nikonians, the genuine professionals secretly lust to go to Canon. :razz:
I think it's the thin red line.

The "thin red line" you talk about was used by Nikon well before Canon copied it.

Jurgen
50D~700D~EOS M~G11~S95~GoPro Hero4 Silver
http://www.pbase.com/j​urgentreue (external link)
The Title Fairy,, off with her head!!

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 20, 2011 01:13 as a reply to  @ yogestee's post |  #34

Doesn't surprise me that a Nikonian doesn't know what RAW files are, either - theirs aren't called RAW, they're NEF files (Nikon's equivalent to RAW).

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

2slo
Cream of the Crop
6,888 posts
Gallery: 743 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 20, 2011 03:14 |  #35

Veemac wrote in post #13572248 (external link)
theirs aren't called RAW, they're NEF files (Nikon's equivalent to RAW).

Explains why Nikon photographers take so long. Their shots are Never Ever Finished :)

Persian-Rice
Goldmember
1,531 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Dec 20, 2011 03:18 |  #36

Congrats on getting hitched.

I'd suggest waiting for the photos. I know many seasoned pro's who don't shoot with anything near what the amateurs/hobbyists have here, fyi equipment is very expensive in central/south america. That being said, the better photographers do use more than a standard kit, but it's not uncommon to see this at all. Consider that you also didn't pay very much even by South American standards. Direct flash, shooting style, and FF are not things I'd use to judge a photographer.

Just as a side note. In the end, 95% of what you pay is for the photographer's eye, experience, and ability. Do you really care which camera was used if you end up receiving beautiful, well composed, correctly exposed, sharp images?
It's obvious from this forum alone, that just about anyone can go out and buy a pro camera setup. Not everyone can make a living or even charge money doing it. You pay for the person, the person brings tools that can get the job done their way. If your wife was happy with the portfolio, I wouldn't be too worried.

Don't stress, enjoy Brazil and your new bride.

supernova74
957 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 20, 2011 03:27 |  #37

I recently got married on a beach in Hawaii. Same thing, the photog turned up with a Nikon, Direct Flash no diffuser, Kit lens with the rubber ring that kept on falling off. I couldnt believe what I was seeing. He kept saying things like, hold on ill take that again, its overexposed etc... I was cra pping my pant that this was gonna be a complete balls up. THe photography was only for the ceremony and a "few" posed shots after, mainly of my wife. He said at the end that the pics would be ready in a few days, and we said so will you send them to Australia ? He said no, to your hotel in Hawaii. I said we leave in 2 days. He had them at our hotel the very next day, 100 pics on a DVD. Now the DVD would not play in my sons player or the hotel DVD player. So we couldnt look at the pics for 3 days until we got home. And to be honest, he captured our special moment perfectly. Couldnt have asked for more. So dont judge i guess is the moral of the story. We payed 900US which included the minister, A MASSIVE limo, photographer and a baby sitter. So We were more than happy with what we got. My only complaint about the photos is they are fairly los re (AVE 1.5mb in size).

Mark
Canon 5DMKII. 50D. EF 70-200 f2.8 II L, EF 24-70 L, 50mm f/1.8 II, Speedlite 580EX II, 15mm Fisheye
Facebook (external link)

MGiddings ­ Photography
964 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 20, 2011 06:53 |  #38

What is the going rate for a wedding photographer in Brazil?

With good light the kit lens can take a good images. Only issue would be when the light gets lower. Loads of top wedding photographers use crop cameras for their work.

BUT there would be no way in the world you would get a raw image from a pro photographer.

https://mgiddings.com (external link)

delhi
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 20, 2011 11:59 |  #39

yogestee wrote in post #13571926 (external link)
The "thin red line" you talk about was used by Nikon well before Canon copied it.

That may be. There are many camera companies that make white lenses too. To paraphrase a quote from MIB... "Canon makes this look GOOD. " :cool:

RAW is generic. Camera companies have their own proprietary file names. Canon - CR2, Nikon - NEF, others... I don't care.

Vancouver Portrait Photographer (external link)
No toys. Just tools. (external link) :lol:

5d3/1dx AF Guidebook | What AF Points to use for my 5d3/1dx?! (external link)

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 20, 2011 12:15 |  #40

Let it go. As long as there are pictures that are in focus and exposed well enough, then enjoy. Don't complain (as others said). Let your wife enjoy everything about the wedding.

Think of it this way: If Adele, or some other famous singer (who is really good) got married, they'd probably have a nice wedding band. But I doubt the singer would worry about the singing quality of the band. Just enjoy the moment.

I paid (in 1994) $400 dollars for our wedding photographer. He spent about one hour taking pictures. He did fine. They aren't mind-blowing, but he got the pics, and we have the memories. I'm glad I didn't know anything about photography or I would have probably thought about it too much instead of enjoying the moment.

What DID bother me about my wedding was all the awesome food for the guests, but I didn't get any because we were off on our way. I was hungry. ;)

Thank you. bw!

Keyan
Cream of the Crop
5,319 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 20, 2011 12:53 |  #41

delhi wrote in post #13570624 (external link)
Congrats!!!

The Nikon D5100 has lots of features. One of which is selective colouring in built! According to Nikon ads, it allows for creative photos making your portraits and weddings poop-out. :D So if she is using this camera you are golden!

Yes, despite the vehement denials from many nikonians, the genuine professionals secretly lust to go to Canon. :razz:
I think it's the thin red line.

Emphasis on the poop. I would rather do selective color in post, rather than just "pick the one color you want to keep" and then that one color and the others a couple of shades off of it are the color, no matter where they show up in the frame. There are much better tools for doing that effect once you get the images (or even video) off of the camera.

Cameras: 7D2, S100
Lenses: 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 18-135 STM, 24-70 f/4L IS USM, 50 f/1.4 USM,70-300L IS USM
Other Stuff: 430 EX II, Luma Labs Loop 3, CamRanger

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,921 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 20, 2011 14:06 |  #42

If you pay me about 400-500 pound then i will shoot with my 350D or 30D and kit lens or 50 1.8 or 10-22 or Sigma 12-24, if you pay me 1000 pound then i will use my 5D classic or 1D2n and 24-105L or 16-35L or 50 1.4, if you pay me 1500 pound then i will use 1DsIII and 1D3 with 24-70L and 70-200 f2.8 and 135L, if you willing to pay even little more then in addition to the last gear i will include my H4D-60 there, according to the price you pay i will use the gear and the level of photos, the more you pay, the better you get.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Mr. ­ Blue
365 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 20, 2011 14:10 |  #43

Tareq wrote in post #13574699 (external link)
If you pay me about 400-500 pound then i will shoot with my 350D or 30D and kit lens or 50 1.8 or 10-22 or Sigma 12-24, if you pay me 1000 pound then i will use my 5D classic or 1D2n and 24-105L or 16-35L or 50 1.4, if you pay me 1500 pound then i will use 1DsIII and 1D3 with 24-70L and 70-200 f2.8 and 135L, if you willing to pay even little more then in addition to the last gear i will include my H4D-60 there, according to the price you pay i will use the gear and the level of photos, the more you pay, the better you get.

Sounds like a pretty solid business model. :rolleyes:

I get the "get what you pay for" bit, but basing what gear you are going to use, and the level of photos you are going to produce, is a terrible way of doing business.

Gear
flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)
TheWitnessStudios.com (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 20, 2011 14:15 |  #44

Tareq wrote in post #13574699 (external link)

So how much would it cost to get the photographer with actual wedding photography skills to use the gear? :lol:

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,921 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 20, 2011 14:18 |  #45

Mr. Blue wrote in post #13574721 (external link)
Sounds like a pretty solid business model. :rolleyes:

I get the "get what you pay for" bit, but basing what gear you are going to use, and the level of photos you are going to produce, is a terrible way of doing business.

It is, but we need to be treated good, people spend more for things that are pointless or let's say not that so much useful or even healthy and for important moment/memory they pay us less and expect us to do our best, if we accept to be treated low all the time then it will never help us to get up high as we want, we are human and photographers who work hard as well to deliver something great even more than expectation, considering that i have some regulations about my way to shoot will affect business is not true always, in some places it may affect but not everywhere, there are people who are willing to pay $2000 for low IQ and doesn't care and there are others can hardly pay 200-400 pound for highest quality and amazing moment timing shots, i will not allow some cheap to make my business down because they can't pay good enough, anyone can shoot weddings with P&S or DSLR nowadays and no need for us to use our god high end DSLR or our high level of skill to get paid cheap, as starting i can understand to get paid low, but later one, standard price should be less than $1000 for weddings i will be fine happy enough to shoot weddings in my country for $1000 using my high end gear and best of my talent.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

84,522 views & 1 like for this thread
My wedding photographer... OMG :-( !
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.