Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 20 Dec 2011 (Tuesday) 19:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EF-S 17-55mm + Kenko 1.4 DGX

nikmar08
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 20, 2011 19:20 |  #1

I'm very happy with my 17-55 and have no intention of changing to any of the 15/17/24/28-70/85 or 60mm or 85mm or any other lens variants in this FL range. However, I do feel at times that getting the extension from 55mm to 77mm by using it with my Kenko 1.4 DGX TC (EF-S mount incompatible) even at the cost of 1 stop would be a nice-to-have in most situations other than when I'm shooting wider landscape-type shots. Once my 70-200 f/4 IS which is up for sale is gone, this will become even more pertinent. I travel a lot on work, some international too, so have to cut down on weight/bulk plus I hardly ever use the 70-200. I have the 100-400 that I am happy with too, so no plans of changing that either.

I want to know if any of you use this lens with the stated TC? Any idea what kind of, can I say remodeling/tooling for lack of better words, is required to make this combo work? Any adapters etc...

Thanks

____O
__( \ \_
((_)/ ((_)
Nikhil | Gear List & Market Feedback | Flickr (external link)
Support POTN by donating here: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

sponsored links
Preeb
Goldmember
2,605 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 20, 2011 22:37 |  #2

I honestly don't know if any EF-S lenses work with a teleconverter. I now that they definitely don't work with the Canon converters, and some don't work with the Kenko. My sister tried one last week in the camera store and it didn't fit, but I don't remember what lens she tried.

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

Josh13
164 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 20, 2011 22:50 as a reply to  @ Preeb's post |  #3

Why not a Tokina 50-135 f2.8 or a Sigma 50-150 f2.8. Both seem to be highly thought of and are cheaper then the 70-200 f2.8 and better then killing your 17-55. Also tc's are not going to work well at all with a lens under 100mm even if it was a 17-40 f4l or 16-35 f2.8 the results would be very bad.

5DIV, Elan 7n, 400 f4 DO I, 100-400mm II, 1.4x TCIII, Tokina 16-28 F2.8, Tokina 12-28 f4, 85 f1.8, 50 f1.8 STM, Flashpoint 620m, YN14EX.
A7rIII, A6300, 100-400 GM, 85 f1.4 GM, 90 Macro, 55 f1.8, 16-35 F4, 35 f2.8, Batis 25 f2, Samyang 14 f2.8 AF, MC-11.
D500, 200-500, Tokina 300 f2.8, 35 f1.8
S110, D20, Hero 6, 3+

nikmar08
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 20, 2011 23:03 |  #4

Rick - yes, it is a known for a fact that no EF-S lenses work with TC's because of their physical design; and therefore my question about remodeling/tooling/ada​pters.

Josh - I think you missed the point I made in my post. To re-iterate, I have no appetite for more than 2 lenses or for changing lenses. I want to retain the 17-end of the FL range for wide-angle usage. BTW, can you elaborate what you mean by TC's not working well with lenses with under 100mm FL?

____O
__( \ \_
((_)/ ((_)

StructuredAmazing
603 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 20, 2011 23:10 |  #5

nikmar08 wrote in post #13576132 (external link)
I'm very happy with my 17-55 and have no intention of changing to any of the 15/17/24/28-70/85 or 60mm or 85mm or any other lens variants in this FL range. However, I do feel at times that getting the extension from 55mm to 88mm by using it with my Kenko 1.4 DGX TC (EF-S mount incompatible) even at the cost of 1 stop would be a nice-to-have in a most situations other than when I'm shooting wider landscape-type shots. Once my 70-200 f/4 IS which is up for sale is gone, this will become even more pertinent. I travel a lot on work, some international too, so have to cut down on weight/bulk plus I hardly ever use the 70-200. I have the 100-400 that I am happy with too, so no plans of changing that either.

I want to know if any of you use this lens with the stated TC? Any idea of what kind of, can I say remodeling/tooling for lack of better words, is required to make this combo work? Any adapters etc...

Thanks
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

:|
from my thread regarding TCs, i think it would be best to avoid them.
When you use TCs you're reducing the quality of the lens, making a $3000 lens a $1000 and below if you know what i mean.
why not shift out more money for a lens that fits your FL needs?
--
besides, what's ur budget??
?!

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil"
StructuredAmazing forever.
My website: Pending...

nikmar08
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 20, 2011 23:48 |  #6

I have to disagree with your sweeping generalization which is just not true in all cases. If you know in what light conditions to use them, for what kind of subjects and if you have realistic expectations, specific lenses work well enough with TC's, especially the 1.4x ones. You can have a look at my sig, flickr and many tests posted on this forum and lens archives threads.

Anyway, a debate about their utility is not the point of my post which you seem to be missing. I have laid out certain ground-rules; so the question of budget etc does not arise. Thanks for taking time to share your thoughts.

P.S. I'm curious about what lens you have in mind - assume budget is not a constraint.

____O
__( \ \_
((_)/ ((_)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,230 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 20, 2011 23:59 |  #7

with a TC on you wouldn't retain the 17mm...it would be 24mm-77mm...which you'll see doesn't really make much sense...because in the amount of time it takes to take the lens off, and then put a TC on you could just as easily swap to a better longer lens...

the difference between 55, and 77mm is probably like 1&1/2 steps forward

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
42,297 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 21, 2011 00:07 |  #8

nikmar08 wrote in post #13577165 (external link)
BTW, can you elaborate what you mean by TC's not working well with lenses with under 100mm FL?

Wide angle lenses have optical designs which are 'retrofocus' designs (the rear node is farther forward than the FL of the lens), long FL lenses are 'telephoto' in design(the rear node is farther back toward the focal plane than the FL of the lens). Teleconvertors are normally designed to work best with 'telephoto' optical design, and for lenses designed to work with 135 format SLRs, the telephoto optical design often becomes used at about 100mm and longer.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

photonius
24 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Dec 21, 2011 09:21 |  #9

I'm very happy with my 17-55 and have no intention of changing to any of the 15/17/24/28-70/85 or 60mm or 85mm or any other lens variants in this FL range. However, I do feel at times that getting the extension from 55mm to 88mm by using it with my Kenko 1.4 DGX TC (EF-S mount incompatible) even at the cost of 1 stop would be a nice-to-have in a most situations other than when I'm shooting wider landscape-type shots. Once my 70-200 f/4 IS which is up for sale is gone, this will become even more pertinent. I travel a lot on work, some international too, so have to cut down on weight/bulk plus I hardly ever use the 70-200. I have the 100-400 that I am happy with too, so no plans of changing that either.

I want to know if any of you use this lens with the stated TC? Any idea of what kind of, can I say remodeling/tooling for lack of better words, is required to make this combo work? Any adapters etc...

Thanks

Well, people have taken say the EF-S 10-22 and removed the protruding extension and used it on FF cameras - google. Perhaps it works with your lens too, and then it may fit on the Kenko. However, an alternative could be the EF-S 55-250 IS, it is very lightweight, and the quality you get from it would probably be not works than the 17-55 with a 1.4x converter, maybe even better.

nikmar08
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 21, 2011 09:25 as a reply to  @ Wilt's post |  #10

DreDaze wrote in post #13577334 (external link)
with a TC on you wouldn't retain the 17mm...it would be 24mm-77mm...which you'll see doesn't really make much sense...because in the amount of time it takes to take the lens off, and then put a TC on you could just as easily swap to a better longer lens...
the difference between 55, and 77mm is probably like 1&1/2 steps forward

Fixed the 88 to 77 in my orig. post. When I said retain (the 17-end of the lens), I was responding to the other posters suggestion to move to another lens. I understand the rest and have to say that convenience wise that 24-77 makes a lot of sense. I don't think swapping 17-55 & a longer lens (100-400 in my case) back and forth would be the same as leaving a TC on with the 17-55 when I know I'll be shooting more general stuff than wide-angle. Agree with your point about 1&1/2 steps but my orig. question remains unanswered.

____O
__( \ \_
((_)/ ((_)

nikmar08
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 21, 2011 09:32 |  #11

photonius wrote in post #13578644 (external link)
Well, people have taken say the EF-S 10-22 and removed the protruding extension and used it on FF cameras - google. Perhaps it works with your lens too, and then it may fit on the Kenko. However, an alternative could be the EF-S 55-250 IS, it is very lightweight, and the quality you get from it would probably be not works than the 17-55 with a 1.4x converter, maybe even better.

I did google & serach elsewhere and did find something on those lines but not for this lens and therefore created this thread. Thanks for responding. Yet, I have no clue why people are not getting that I do not want to change my 17-55 because then I won't be left with any lens for wide-angle usage.

____O
__( \ \_
((_)/ ((_)

muskyhunter
Goldmember
1,137 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 21, 2011 09:58 |  #12

the kenko 1.4x dgx will work with most lenses. my kenko 1.4x works with all the lenses in my sig and acheive af.

Preeb
Goldmember
2,605 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 21, 2011 10:02 |  #13

StructuredAmazing wrote in post #13577194 (external link)
:|
from my thread regarding TCs, i think it would be best to avoid them.
When you use TCs you're reducing the quality of the lens, making a $3000 lens a $1000 and below if you know what i mean.
why not shift out more money for a lens that fits your FL needs?
--
besides, what's ur budget??
?!

This isn't an absolute. The Canon 1.4x II and 2x II teleconverters work marvelously with the 70-200 series lenses. This was taken with the 70-200 f4 IS and 1.4x II teleconverter, hand held at 1/200 sec.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i575.photobucke​t.com …iebra/PSE%20Tec​h/Toad.jpg (external link)

Rick
6D Mark II - EF 17-40 f4 L -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,230 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 21, 2011 10:29 |  #14

nikmar08 wrote in post #13578704 (external link)
I did google & serach elsewhere and did find something on those lines but not for this lens and therefore created this thread. Thanks for responding. Yet, I have no clue why people are not getting that I do not want to change my 17-55 because then I won't be left with any lens for wide-angle usage.

because the sense of putting a TC on the 17-55 is hard to grasp...

this guy is the only person i've ever seen that said they modded either a TC or lens to get one to fit on an EF-S lens...you can shoot him a pm, as he never responded in the thread to what he did...or you could swap to the sigma 17-50OS...

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10503028&po​stcount=28

also if you needed more reach, why would you swap to the 100-400L and not the 70-200mm?

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

nikmar08
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,852 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 21, 2011 12:59 |  #15

DreDaze wrote in post #13578959 (external link)
because the sense of putting a TC on the 17-55 is hard to grasp...

Even if it makes no sense, sometimes questioning status quo and finding out alternatives isn't so bad afterall, eh?

this guy is the only person i've ever seen that said they modded either a TC or lens to get one to fit on an EF-S lens...you can shoot him a pm, as he never responded in the thread to what he did...or you could swap to the sigma 17-50OS...

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=10503028&po​stcount=28

Thanks for this. I will have a look at that. These are the kind of responses I am hoping to get more of. BTW, are you saying my TC will work with the Sigma? Just curious, I have no plans to change the 17-55 as I have already mentioned.

also if you needed more reach, why would you swap to the 100-400L and not the 70-200mm?

Because some of you are not paying attention while reading my posts vmad :D

...Once my 70-200 f/4 IS which is up for sale is gone, this will become even more pertinent. I travel a lot on work, some international too, so have to cut down on weight/bulk plus I hardly ever use the 70-200. I have the 100-400 that I am happy with too, so no plans of changing that either.

____O
__( \ \_
((_)/ ((_)

sponsored links

3,652 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EF-S 17-55mm + Kenko 1.4 DGX
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.