Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 19 Dec 2011 (Monday) 11:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My wedding photographer... OMG :-( !

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,917 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 20, 2011 14:22 |  #46

nicksan wrote in post #13574742 (external link)
So how much would it cost to get the photographer with actual wedding photography skills to use the gear? :lol:

It depends, but if we should put a standard price then i think somewhere $800-1500 will be a good start, if someone accept to get less fine it is up to him/her, but i am sure there are others will ask more than $1500 for some reasons, i do shoot football and they pay me now only about $100 for each game home [not away], i see it very very low but i accepted because the stadium is just near my house not far and the match is almost 90-95minutes and i don't need to worry about moments or many actions, i focus on players and few people around and i don't run or walk around too much.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Mr. ­ Blue
365 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 20, 2011 14:35 |  #47

Tareq wrote in post #13574755 (external link)

I get all of that. If they don't pay you what you want, don't do the job. But taking less money and doing a half-way job is ridiculous.

You should always strive to do you best....if you feel you are going to be underpaid, just don't do the shoot.

Gear
flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)
TheWitnessStudios.com (external link)

runninmann
what the heck do I know?
8,156 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 20, 2011 14:38 |  #48

I think Tareq is just having a little gear list fun ;).

Tareq, where have you been hanging out lately?

My Gear

davidc502
Goldmember
3,459 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 20, 2011 14:48 |  #49

If it were my wedding... APS-C or 35mm sensor wouldn't matter to me, but you better know what you're doing.

Bottom line is how the photos turn out.

_
My Gear is ---> Here

Tareq
17,917 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 20, 2011 14:49 |  #50

Mr. Blue wrote in post #13574836 (external link)
I get all of that. If they don't pay you what you want, don't do the job. But taking less money and doing a half-way job is ridiculous.

You should always strive to do you best....if you feel you are going to be underpaid, just don't do the shoot.

I didn;t say to do half job, but i mean don't make at your best and work so hard, i am able to have 200-1000 shots with my 350D and kit lens, maybe I can get something nice even with this combo who knows, still 10-22 and 50 1.8 are amazing lenses, i was talking about gear more, and about skill i didn't say shoot lazy or don't shoot with standard proper settings, but i was meaning to not make it so hard on yourself if you get paid less, i may focus on the important moments and avoid many sides shots, the OP himself/herself was commenting about the photographer gear, why is that matter of the bride/groom then?

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Tareq
17,917 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 20, 2011 14:52 |  #51

runninmann wrote in post #13574854 (external link)
I think Tareq is just having a little gear list fun ;).

Tareq, where have you been hanging out lately?

It is, all people telling me to start business with my gear and they forgot as i did that any business in my country need enough money to start, free or very low business will not make me anywhere far, i regret that i spent a lot too much money on gear and didn't save enough for starting business, so all what i do now is just shoot football almost every week when i am in mood, and jointing some groups here and there for meet up and working on getting more public relations that may help me in my future, talked with one person and he is willing to do an exhibition for me with some other photographers to help us to be known if possible.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Mr. ­ Blue
365 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 20, 2011 14:58 |  #52

Tareq wrote in post #13574909 (external link)
I didn;t say to do half job, but i mean don't make at your best and work so hard, i am able to have 200-1000 shots with my 350D and kit lens, maybe I can get something nice even with this combo who knows, still 10-22 and 50 1.8 are amazing lenses, i was talking about gear more, and about skill i didn't say shoot lazy or don't shoot with standard proper settings, but i was meaning to not make it so hard on yourself if you get paid less, i may focus on the important moments and avoid many sides shots, the OP himself/herself was commenting about the photographer gear, why is that matter of the bride/groom then?

Hmm. I'm not meaning to be rude here, but I am curious: Since you are speaking "more about gear," does shooting with your high-end gear make it harder on you than shooting with your lower-end gear? Do you lose money when you shoot with your high-end gear vs your lower-end gear?

Gear
flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)
TheWitnessStudios.com (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 20, 2011 15:23 |  #53

Tareq wrote in post #13574909 (external link)

If you know anything about the wedding photography industry, you'll know that there are a bunch of "photographers" out there shooting weddings on the cheap with the camera and lens they bought at their local Best Buy, thinking it's easy money. So when the whole thing about the crop camera and kit lens comes up, right or wrong, that immediately raises a red flag. Of course none of know what the situation is. The photos may very well turn out fine. So all of this is pure speculation.

From a photographer's standpoint, you always have a choice whether to accept a job or not. So the whole getting paid less and not making hard for yourself is a moot point. You either accept the job, and do the best you can, or don't do it at all.

Tareq
17,917 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 20, 2011 15:33 |  #54

Sure i should or must do my best, but that doesn't mean i will always accept low prices, i may accept at beginning or if i started out, but later on if they keep at low price then definitely i will reject, otherwise if they ask me too much as look-like force for low price then i am not willing to do it at my best, they can find others who can work at best if they can find, if not then it is not my problem, i can go and work for others who willing to pay more and understand my job, 2 companies asked me to do photoshoot for something for them, one asked me for free, the other asked me for very low price, i rejected both of them, later on i heard that they used some photographers, one did for free and i don't know what gear he used, and the other he did with money and they paid him about 6x times of what they asked me to do, he forced them the price, i asked them more but less than what he asked them and they rejected, so i rejected them, good they get punished to pay more for another one who asked more, it will not make me to feel sad or bad i lost them, i can find others who will ask me and give me good price, i don't ask too much but also not too low.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 20, 2011 15:39 |  #55

Tareq wrote in post #13575124 (external link)
Sure i should or must do my best, but that doesn't mean i will always accept low prices, i may accept at beginning or if i started out, but later on if they keep at low price then definitely i will reject, otherwise if they ask me too much as look-like force for low price then i am not willing to do it at my best, they can find others who can work at best if they can find, if not then it is not my problem, i can go and work for others who willing to pay more and understand my job, 2 companies asked me to do photoshoot for something for them, one asked me for free, the other asked me for very low price, i rejected both of them, later on i heard that they used some photographers, one did for free and i don't know what gear he used, and the other he did with money and they paid him about 6x times of what they asked me to do, he forced them the price, i asked them more but less than what he asked them and they rejected, so i rejected them, good they punished to pay more for another one who asked more, it will not make me to feel sad or bad i lost them, i can find others who will ask me and give me good price, i don't ask too much but also not too low.

Maybe they felt you weren't worth that much and the other photographer was.

Also, that's what a contract is for. To specifically list out the responsibilities of the photographer.

But I think it's a terrible idea to accept a job and just because it's not paying as much as you would like it to, to use inferior gear, not make an all out effort and just do the minimally required work.

When I accept a job, it's usually on my terms, and I do the best job I can with whatever gear that will get the job done.

Tareq
17,917 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 20, 2011 15:50 |  #56

nicksan wrote in post #13575157 (external link)
Maybe they felt you weren't worth that much and the other photographer was.

Also, that's what a contract is for. To specifically list out the responsibilities of the photographer.

But I think it's a terrible idea to accept a job and just because it's not paying as much as you would like it to, to use inferior gear, not make an all out effort and just do the minimally required work.

When I accept a job, it's usually on my terms, and I do the best job I can with whatever gear that will get the job done.

Good for you!

Well, i ask them for the price before and i can reject from beginning before i accept it, if the price is good i will do my best always and use my best gear if it will help and save time/effort or whatever, if the price is say not that much good but acceptable then i can take the job and do my best for a reason to make my portfolio better, for example to shoot fashion or commercial, but if they ask me to shoot sports or landscapes for low prices then definitely i will reject because i know i do great and have experience in those two fields, it doesn't matter if that will affect the business, i just reject f they offer me less price, i ask this before or state that before i take the job, some willing to pay you even more than what you ask, also depends on other factors, gear i tend to use my best used to working gear than just old dust-collected gear because of low price, i know some accept the job in the beginning for low prices but then they reject to do it again even for second time, because they were expected to get paid well, and some using photographers who don't know about the rules or basics and have not good shots and all are complaining, it may work different in your country, here it is different.

Galleries:
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Vixen89
Goldmember
4,521 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 20, 2011 15:54 |  #57

They ever give you the photos yet? LOL

I'm actively lazy!! :D | Gear List | photovxn.com (under construction)external link

BananaRaw
429 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 21, 2011 04:39 |  #58

LemonScent wrote in post #13568364 (external link)
Can't wait to see!

+1 :p

::: Gear :::
::: Flickr (external link) ::: 500px (external link) ::: Tumblr. (external link) :::

guntoter
Goldmember
2,409 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 21, 2011 06:23 |  #59

You got married?
But a wife will distract you from your photography time.

And also a wife doesn't usually understand your need for new gear!

Big mistake.............:D;)

Kidding.

Congratuations.

Joel
GEAR
Flickr (external link)

Meercat007
52 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 21, 2011 07:51 as a reply to  @ guntoter's post |  #60

You are providing a service, just like any other trade, If you accept the contract you always do it to your best ability as word of mouth is the most powerful tool of all ! An unsatisfied customer has the ability to do a lot of harm. IMO

Andy - Editing OK

sponsored links

84,284 views & 1 like for this thread
My wedding photographer... OMG :-( !
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.