Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 19 Dec 2011 (Monday) 11:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My wedding photographer... OMG :-( !

Jason ­ Paul
387 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 21, 2011 08:50 as a reply to  @ post 13578250 |  #61

My sister got married about three months ago.

The photographer they hired was a friend. She used a 50D. I was too busy with "wedding stuff" to notice which lens she actually used, but I think it was a kit lens. She also used a hotshoe flash pointed directly forward. This was in a barn (reception), so bouncing wasn't really an option. She said she has a 70-200mm f/2.8 IS, but I never saw it - even for the wedding, which was outside.

The photos aren't spectacular, but honestly, they came out better than I was expecting. I thought everyone would have that washed-out flash-face, but it really wasn't too bad.

In the end, my sister (and her mom - my step-mom) were happy with the photos, and the photographer only charged them $200.

Jason

50D - Canon 60mm Macro - Sigma 30mm - Canon 70-300mm DO IS - Canon 17-85mm IS - Canon 50mm 1.8 II
Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
anthony11
Goldmember
2,148 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 21, 2011 19:33 |  #62

Veemac wrote in post #13572248 (external link)
Doesn't surprise me that a Nikonian doesn't know what RAW files are, either - theirs aren't called RAW, they're NEF files (Nikon's equivalent to RAW).

"Raw" is neither a format nor an acronym. It's an adjective, and Nikon NEF files are just as raw as Canon CR2 files and the DNG files that are saved by at least one of the other brands.

5D2, 24-105L, 85mm f/1.8, MP960, HG21, crumbling G6+R72, Brownian toddler

boerewors
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 21, 2011 20:26 |  #63

i was married in 2009 and the photographer used an old manual focus film camera and needed a video light to get exposure. Once i got the album, i decided to buy my own camera and start learning photography. Thats how dissapointed i was. But i now photograph weddings in the same small town where i am the only person around with a camera manufactured this centry and it brings good business.

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

NLe
180 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 21, 2011 21:02 |  #64

Don't worry too much about full frame vs crop and gears until you see the photos. I've seen some decent wedding pics with them.

Here's a wedding photographer in my area shooting mostly with the Nikon D80.
http://shoopsshutter.c​om …OLIO/Galleries/​Weddings/3 (external link)

Here's a wedding shoot with a borrowed Canon XS and 50 1.8 from a talent-less photographer.

IMAGE: http://s3.amazonaws.com/photos.500px.net/3861467/92c6c7e864e84edbd433f4376b5981e46fcd6835/4.jpg?t=1324460710

ShootingSacramento.com (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 21, 2011 21:06 |  #65

I got married in 2003 in a Carib country. The photog, a rather a successful B&W photog specializing in portraits of jazz musicians made for a really really bad wedding photog.

I spent 4 months and countless $$$, including buying a Canon 4000 dpi film scanner, trying to pull some decent prints from the negatives. With updated software I should go through the scans again, when I have some time, and see if I can do better.

I realized that wedding photography is a specialization. I, certainly, would not do it.

Bohdan - I may be, and probably am, completely wrong.
Gear List

Montreal Concert, Event and Portrait Photographer (external link)
Flickr (external link)

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 21, 2011 21:06 |  #66

NLe wrote in post #13582099 (external link)
Don't worry too much about full frame vs crop and gears until you see the photos. I've seen some decent wedding pics with them.

Here's a wedding photographer in my area shooting mostly with the Nikon D80.
http://shoopsshutter.c​om …OLIO/Galleries/​Weddings/3 (external link)

Here's a wedding shoot with a borrowed Canon XS and 50 1.8 from a talent-less photographer.
QUOTED IMAGE

It's a really nice shot except the IQ really sucks, imo. Blurry subjects and blown out. The former trying to be saved by oversharpening.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

NLe
180 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 21, 2011 21:09 |  #67

bohdank wrote in post #13582114 (external link)
It's a very really nice shot except the IQ really sucks, imo.

LOL, yeah but probably wasn't due to camera but more due to my shaky hands because of the Hyperthyroid disease I had.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 21, 2011 21:11 |  #68

I really like it, composition and mood. It's rather excellent, imho.

It's too bad for the reasons I mentioned. You could have gotten a better exposure :cool:

Personally, I don't think the expired film processing looks helps, in this case.....at least not to the degree it was used here. Then again, I am an oldie.... and want to forget my film days. Probably if it wasn't so overexposed.

I see some lens flare in the iron seating, also.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

Stanjk3
484 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 21, 2011 21:17 as a reply to  @ NLe's post |  #69

I shot my cousin's wedding last summer. The results may not have been as good as someone with high end gear that's been shooting weddings for a while, but they were happy with the pics.
Used the kit lens for the first pic, 50mm f1.4 prime for the 2nd.

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5030/5582958529_a512bd6b96_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/stanjk3/5582958​529/  (external link)
IMG_0301 (external link) by Stanjk3 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5100/5582960363_2e00cfc990_z.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/stanjk3/5582960​363/  (external link)
IMG_0493 (external link) by Stanjk3 (external link), on Flickr

My Flickr page (external link) 5D Mark III, Canon 24-105mm f4 L, 580 EXII;
Powershot S95 | Rebel T2i(550D), 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, Canon 50mm f1.4, Sigma 17-50 f2.8, Metz 50 AF-1

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 21, 2011 21:24 |  #70

I don't want to sound like I criticize everything (I can be a PITA), but the first shot could have really used a fill flash.

Other than that, it is a very nice shot. I am sure they were happy with it. Makes for a nice memory. Congratulations.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 21, 2011 21:28 |  #71
bannedPermanent ban

Stanjk3 wrote in post #13582162 (external link)
I shot my cousin's wedding last summer. The results may not have been as good as someone with high end gear that's been shooting weddings for a while, but they were happy with the pics.
Used the kit lens for the first pic, 50mm f1.4 prime for the 2nd.

IMG_0301 (external link) by Stanjk3 (external link), on Flickr

IMG_0493 (external link) by Stanjk3 (external link), on Flickr

Hahaha...the little guy on the right seems to be having a lot of fun there...:) You could at least clone out the flash reflection on the sun glasses. Maybe they should have taken them off? The black has no textures here. A bit underexposed. Here, I think an external flash would help a lot.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 21, 2011 21:29 |  #72
bannedPermanent ban

bohdank wrote in post #13582196 (external link)
I don't want to sound like I criticize everything (I can be a PITA), but the first shot could have really used a fill flash.

Other than that, it is a very nice shot. I am sure they were happy with it. Makes for a nice memory. Congratulations.

I think he was using the onboard flash, which isn't large and powerful enough.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

NLe
180 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 21, 2011 21:35 |  #73

bohdank wrote in post #13582140 (external link)
I really like it, composition and mood. It's rather excellent, imho.

It's too bad for the reasons I mentioned. You could have gotten a better exposure :cool:

I see some lens flare in the iron seating, also.

Thanks Bohdank! Yeah luckily I wasn't the real photographer.:)) Just helping out a friend. I was the one holding a reflector in the 105 degrees heat of Sacramento's summertime. for them to take the real photo. Took the quick snapshot during my quick break.

Would I like a fullframe camera? Heck yeah - just couldn't afford it. Actually can't even afford the cheapest crop sensor camera right now. HaHa. I just shoot with whatever camera and lens I could borrow at the moment. Just wanted Nick to not worry until he see the final results.

bohdank
Cream of the Crop
14,060 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 21, 2011 21:35 |  #74

Ah..... needs more oomph.

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

Stanjk3
484 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 21, 2011 21:40 |  #75

bohdank wrote in post #13582196 (external link)

IIRC I did use the built in flash, but that has it's limits. The backlighting didn't help either. Only had the camera for a month before the wedding. I did shoot it RAW & JPEG if anyone wants to edit it.
They wanted to keep their shades on, so I wasn't going to argue. I usually just use Picasa, it can do some spot healing but never tried it with reflections on glasses.
Thanks! Like I said, not pro quality but they were happy with the results.

My Flickr page (external link) 5D Mark III, Canon 24-105mm f4 L, 580 EXII;
Powershot S95 | Rebel T2i(550D), 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, Canon 50mm f1.4, Sigma 17-50 f2.8, Metz 50 AF-1

sponsored links

84,531 views & 1 like for this thread
My wedding photographer... OMG :-( !
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.