Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 Dec 2011 (Wednesday) 13:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gaffer Tape - show me some examples of how you use

effstop
810 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 21, 2011 13:54 |  #1

I recently purchased a flash that was wrapped with gaffer tape and have heard that everyone should have a roll. What are some interesting things you have done with gaffer tape?

5D MKI | 1D MKII | 24-70mm 2.8 L | 80-200MM 2.8 L | 400mm 5.6 L |50mm 1.8

sponsored links
DisrupTer911
Goldmember
2,452 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 21, 2011 14:29 |  #2

I use gaffers primarily to hold down backdrop paper to the floor and use as a stage marker.

i also keep small pieces on every hood and on the bottom of my camera just in case I need it for something.

also have 2 pieces in an X pattern holding on the eye pieces of my 1D bodies b/c for some reason, they fall off so easily so I jsut keep them secured with tape.

but I have multi-colored tape to helf identify my equipment when its in loose during a shoot.

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

johnlo
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 21, 2011 14:43 |  #3

pretty much i'm using the same way DisrupTer911 is using. one of my buddy cover up all the logo/brand name of his equipment w/ gaffer.

whatever you do, dont tape up your todder/kid and posted on youtube/facebook. you will get busted.

johnlo photography :
personal blog: http://www.jklimagery.​com (external link)
My Gear List

Petersman
148 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 21, 2011 15:46 as a reply to  @ johnlo's post |  #4

If you have to ask, Gaffa tape is not for you .
It's a creativity thing . ;)

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 21, 2011 15:53 |  #5

This could be the longest thread on the site.

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

MeNiS
706 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Dec 21, 2011 16:31 |  #6

johnlo wrote in post #13580236 (external link)
one of my buddy cover up all the logo/brand name of his equipment w/ gaffer.

never understood why people do that? are they embarassed shooting a canon or whatever brand that they have to hide it?

L.J.G.
"Not brigth enough"
10,463 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 21, 2011 16:40 |  #7

It's great for when my wife nags me...............

Lloyd
Never make the same mistake twice, there are so many new ones, try a different one each day
Gear Flick (external link)r

7D_Sniper
Goldmember
2,204 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 21, 2011 17:50 |  #8

MeNiS wrote in post #13580896 (external link)
never understood why people do that? are they embarassed shooting a canon or whatever brand that they have to hide it?

Some professionals do it so they are not tied to one brand in public. Some people just do not want people to see what expensive equipment they are shooting with. Some events do not allow brands to be advertised. There are a multitude of reasons for it.

Run it's the big bad amateur
GEAR & FEEDBACK
Help Support POTN
My Blog (external link)
http://www.hooddesigns​.com (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 21, 2011 18:08 |  #9

7D_Sniper wrote in post #13581208 (external link)
Some professionals do it so they are not tied to one brand in public. Some people just do not want people to see what expensive equipment they are shooting with. Some events do not allow brands to be advertised. There are a multitude of reasons for it.

You forgot the main one: it makes wannabes look/feel like they're badass photojournalists :rolleyes:

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

robscomputer
429 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 21, 2011 18:41 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #10

I like gaffer tape for a bunch of duties. I like that it's sticky like duct tape but also doesn't leave any sticky goo. It's helpful for providing protection as well, if you get the brandname versions that are thicker than normal.

My camera used to be pretty covered in tape for protection but now it's bare. I did find that covering the lens and body saved me a few times from scratches.

IMAGE: http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4074/4745028218_f9bc8cacce.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/robscomputer/4​745028218/  (external link)
Canon 5D Mark II (external link) by robscomputer (external link), on Flickr

Amateur photographer

toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 21, 2011 21:49 |  #11

I've taped down my mode dial, on/off switch, and diopter wheel.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,033 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 22, 2011 17:58 as a reply to  @ toxic's post |  #12

I used to tape lights onto the walls of location motion picture sets. BTW that's how the tape got its name. A gaffer was the nickname of a lighting person on a mopix set.

The advantage of gaffer's tape over tape such as duct tape is that the gaffer's tape will not leave a residue on the surface to which it is attached.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 22, 2011 19:42 |  #13

Little off-topic...but I have a folding bike I love...however, when folded, certain parts of it hit the bike itself, that I was planning on wrapping in hockey tape while transporting to avoid paint chips...would gaffer's tape work just as well or better? Where do you guys get it from?

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 22, 2011 20:14 |  #14

johnlo wrote in post #13580236 (external link)
one of my buddy cover up all the logo/brand name of his equipment w/ gaffer.

MeNiS wrote in post #13580896 (external link)

I dont get it either. People try to rationalize it by saying it stops people from stealing.... But, do you know of ANY cheap camera thay does not have a logo/name on the camera? So this must mean it is an expensive camera in disguise! Making it MORE of a target! After all nobody tapes up a cheap camera. Theves are smart a lil bit of tape is more of a "steal me" flag than it is a deterrent. And evidently they are smarter than some of the owners I have seen with tape all over the body.... yet still have the D3X in bright yellow on the strap.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

isoMorphic
Goldmember
2,090 posts
Joined May 2008

Dec 22, 2011 20:56 as a reply to  @ Mark1's post |  #15

Most everything on movie sets including deodorant, shampoo, cars and even the type of soda being consumed is sponsored. Anything else usually has no label or gets covered up to prevent lawsuits from unauthorized use. Which is why you almost never see brand names on liquor bottles or cigarettes. When you see paparazzi in movies the prop cameras usually have no branding but if they do it's a real camera and was sponsored. For added realism they may have some shiny object similar to a logo on fake cameras but it's made up and not based on real world brands.

I use gaffers tape on my lens hoods to protect them from breaking and scratches. It works pretty well and has saved me more then once from cracking a hood. Also use to create snoots and such from heavy paper which then gets fully wrapped in and out to make it durable and hold shape. Some use it on the floor to hold down wires since it wont leave residue and comes in many colors that will blend with different environments.

sponsored links

3,868 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gaffer Tape - show me some examples of how you use
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.