Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 21 Dec 2011 (Wednesday) 12:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My New Year's Resolutions

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 21, 2011 12:54 |  #1

Like all of us, I'm always looking to grow and improve. Last year, I critiqued my performance and prepared a (surprisingly long) list of the things at which I aspired to be better. I feel like I accomplished much of it and found there to be something theraputic about commiting stuff like this not only to writing but doing so quite publically. And possibly these thoughts may even help others . . .

So my 2011 wedding photography resolutions:

- Take the time to actually SEE the image in the view finder. There are certain shots that I always look to do during the day because they look great. There have been times, though, when that same shot just didn't look right. Maybe it doesn't flatter the bride's features; maybe the light didn't fall correctly on the subject; maybe I used the wrong focal length; maybe a telephone pole was sprouting from someone's head; etc. Sometimes, it's literally as simple as failing to see that a bride's veil isn't straight or her hair is in her eyes. These things should've been visible (and correctable) right away based on what I was seeing through the view finder but I was trying to move too quickly and didn't take the time to REALLY see.

- Take the time I need to do my best work and don't feel rushed. When schedules slide (as they always do), it's the portrait time - MY time - that gets squeezed. I always put pressure on myself to still somehow get everything I'd normally do in that smaller window of time. When there isn't enough time to do everything, I need to be more comfortable with the idea of doing less and keep it higher quality.

- Take the time to be creative. Sometimes, with the time pressure of the day, I get formulaic. It's still very good work, but it takes time for me to see things in a unique way and I don't always allow myself or feel like I have the time to do it.

- Work with my clients to ensure they schedule enough time for me to do my best work. All three of the previous bullets are all about having and/or taking the time to do my very best and most creative work. While I need to slow down in the interest of higher quality even if that means doing less, what I really need to do is push my clients harder on allowing sufficient time during their planning process. I already do quite a bit of this, but I need to message it harder.

And it's a new year. ;)

For the benefit of others, feel free to add your own goals.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

sponsored links
Red ­ Tie ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,575 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 21, 2011 15:30 |  #2

This sounds a lot like a thread around last year - did you create that one too?

I will try to think of some things to add for my own list.

Bryan
Gear List (external link)
San Diego Wedding Photography - Red Tie Photography (external link)
Red Tie Photography Blog (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 21, 2011 16:01 |  #3

Make money. F**k ****. That about covers it. Except for the F**k **** part. I don't think the wife would agree.

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 21, 2011 16:02 |  #4

Lose about 30 pounds so I am not in so much pain after each wedding. :lol:

Shadow ­ on ­ the ­ Door
960 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 21, 2011 16:05 |  #5
bannedPermanent ban

Figure out how to go from that guy who businesses are "doing favours for by letting him take our photos" to that guy who "we better pay what he's asking, he's the best in town"

Sucks being 19 and broke.

19 year old photographer with a 5D, and some L glass.
500px - Jamesr (external link)
Graphic Design Services Offered

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 21, 2011 17:46 |  #6

nicksan wrote in post #13580699 (external link)
Lose about 30 pounds so I am not in so much pain after each wedding. :lol:

My after-wedding pain is not so much due to any extra weight...

A few months ago, B&G stepped up to 1st dance 30 mins ahead of scheduled... I was at the wrong end of the room, with the wrong lens... Quick change and sprinted over just as they are about to start.... I dropped to my knees and skidded across the dance floor, shooting them as I slid by...

My knees/shins are still bruised
Those pants were tossed - burn marks on both knees...

And a few months prior to that, I cracked a bone in my left foot - overcrowding at the wedding, tried to get out of the way of people coming my way w/o noticing me... Landed on foot wrong...

But I do think I'm down 15 lbs since start of 2011

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

Peacefield
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 21, 2011 18:38 |  #7

Red Tie Photography wrote in post #13580521 (external link)
This sounds a lot like a thread around last year - did you create that one too?

Yup. Getting better doesn't happen by accident.

Last year's list had a lot of technical stuff on it: thinking I'm shooting in AV but forgetting to switch back to it from M, understand flash better, etc. While there's always room to grow, I'm in a good place with stuff like that.

What I really want to do now, as simple as it sounds, is to do the job as well as I know how to do it if only I were to allow myself the time.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

digital ­ paradise
I still have 8 digits left
17,459 posts
Gallery: 125 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 21, 2011 23:15 |  #8

I find everything about flash fascinating so it is an ongoing love affair.

I'm really uncomfortable with DOF. I understand it but I'm always worried about blowing key shots. What is a key shot? Many shots are great with shallow DOF and only one person in focus. I guess key shots are formals and even those can be creative. I often study other people's work and two people in them are in focus at f1.2. I'm having trouble at f2.8 with that and I know why. Also it is strictly a mental block of when to let go and when not to. I tend to go with deeper DOF which is not helping me. Around f4 and I lock up there but will venture shallower. I am slowly getting faster lenses and I need to break this barrier down.

I find posing people the hardest thing to do and DOF comes in second. Mastering DOF is critical I think to making ordinary shots beauties. Don't get me wrong. I have shots with nice Bokeh and only one person on focus, etc, just not enough and not shallow enough at times.

This year I will memorize the online DOF calculator so I can quickly judge, be less up tight and let go.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

johnpricephotography
94 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 22, 2011 06:51 |  #9

Just like Peacefield,
Mine is to make more time and or use it more thoughtfully, but for both when on the job and for family.

Quote: Failure to prepare is preparing to fail
Nottingham Wedding Photographer - John Price Photography (external link)
2 x 5dmkIV, 1 x 5dmkIII all gripped, Canon 24-70 2.8LmkII, Canon 70-200 2.8 IS mkII, Canon 17-40L and ton more.. 5x 600ex-rt's

Christopher ­ Steven ­ b
Goldmember
3,547 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 22, 2011 08:48 |  #10

Shooting resolutions for the new year:
1) play it less safe
2) tell more stories, create more stories
3) slow down; take less photos, more distinct ones

christopher steven b. - Ottawa Wedding Photographer

www.christopherstevenb​.com (external link)| Blog (external link)

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 22, 2011 09:30 |  #11

Continue to buy more gear for no reason. :lol:

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 22, 2011 09:32 |  #12

great post peacefield, i feel like i'm in the same type of boat and couldn't agree more with your post.

and this made my morning haha:

jcolman wrote in post #13580693 (external link)
Make money. F**k ****. That about covers it. Except for the F**k **** part. I don't think the wife would agree.

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

helloagain36
Goldmember
1,493 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Dec 22, 2011 09:33 as a reply to  @ Christopher Steven b's post |  #13

Slowing down...definitely. Feeling rushed is by far my biggest Kryptonite.

-Dave

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 23, 2011 09:53 |  #14

nicksan wrote in post #13584351 (external link)
Continue to buy more gear for no reason. :lol:

^ I like that thinking *L*

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 23, 2011 10:31 |  #15

Do everything better than this year.

Peter

sponsored links

3,244 views & 0 likes for this thread
My New Year's Resolutions
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.