Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 21 Dec 2011 (Wednesday) 13:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

One or two monitor setup?

outtamymind
Goldmember
1,733 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 22, 2011 00:22 |  #16

thats what i was doing as well but once you do it and realize that its just like having dual monitors its a dream. my setup is just that, 2 seperate computers using 1 keyboard and mouse.

www.outtamymindphoto.c​a (external link)
Outtamymind Photography Facebook (external link)
Outtamymind Photography on 500px (external link)

sponsored links
Mike ­ K
Goldmember
1,637 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Dec 22, 2011 00:48 |  #17

I use a 25" NEC as a primary monitor and a 19" Acer for all my photoshop tools. This allows the image to fill up the larger screen during editing.

Canon 6D, 1DmkII, IR modified 5DII with lots of Canon L, TSE and Zeiss ZE lenses

alex.hondsmerk
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 22, 2011 09:49 |  #18

15" laptop :( Looking to get a 24" to 30" to plug it into as everything's a little cramped at the moment.

Gripped 50D, 24-105 f/4 L, 70-200 f/4 L, EF-S 17-85, 50 f/1.8 II "L" (external link), Tamron 60 f/2 Macro, Samyang 8mm fisheye, 430EX
Flickr (external link)

chopperdave
Goldmember
1,198 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Dec 22, 2011 09:53 |  #19

whichever allows you the ability to get the best quality monitor. =) I used to have a 24" iMac and a 21" monitor, did all the editing on the iMac. Now I am selling that and just am going to use my Mcbook Pro 13" and a 24" Asus IPS monitor I bought.

I like having 2 monitors for Lightroom a lot, btw.

David
davidmoorephoto.com (external link)
More Than Pnup (external link)
I feel like I've gone back in time.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 22, 2011 10:20 |  #20

Dual monitor FTW.

LR:

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

or

PS:

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

outtamymind
Goldmember
1,733 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 22, 2011 10:30 |  #21

^^^what you did in the second light room pic is what i do with photoshop when i have a dual monitor setup

www.outtamymindphoto.c​a (external link)
Outtamymind Photography Facebook (external link)
Outtamymind Photography on 500px (external link)

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
19,604 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 22, 2011 10:34 |  #22

With smaller monitors (up to 24"), I like a dual setup; but having just picked up a 30" for home, I much prefer that. There is a LOT of real estate for everything now; although, I don't supposed I'd turn down a second one if they were significantly cheaper :p

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (R5, RF 800 f/11, Canon 16-35 F/4 MkII, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

afmrick
42 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 22, 2011 12:45 |  #23

I just look at it as number of pixels per dollar.
If you already have a monitor then a second one is probably the cheapest way to add more pixels assuming your video card supports additional monitors. If you have to buy a new video card then factor that in too.

With that said, the monitor may very well out last the computer so, it may be worth spending a little more on it than just the cost/pixel would suggest.

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 22, 2011 12:48 |  #24

Two monitors all the way.

Once you have had two, it is hard to go back to one...

I would love a three monitor setup.

But I doubt I can do that with my current laptop or desktop.

Can I?

"Light travels faster than sound. Which is why people some people appear bright, until you hear them speak..."

Snydremark
19,604 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 22, 2011 13:01 |  #25

mtimber wrote in post #13585372 (external link)
Two monitors all the way.

Once you have had two, it is hard to go back to one...

I would love a three monitor setup.

But I doubt I can do that with my current laptop or desktop.

Can I?

depends on what laptop you're running, and what your video adapter is (whether you have the required outputs, and the video adapter has the 'oomph' to push that many pixels.)

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (R5, RF 800 f/11, Canon 16-35 F/4 MkII, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 22, 2011 13:13 |  #26

It only has one port on the side for external monitors, so I have always assumed that is it...

"The general rule for flash photography is that you want the flash to go off while the shutter is open" (Titus213)

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 22, 2011 13:17 |  #27

Snydremark wrote in post #13585434 (external link)
depends on what laptop you're running, and what your video adapter is (whether you have the required outputs, and the video adapter has the 'oomph' to push that many pixels.)

Laptop:

Dell 1749
i5 m520 2.4ghz
8mb Ram
Windows 7 64bit.
Display Adapter: ATI Mobility Radeion HD5650

Cannot find any info on whether I can add a third monitor or not.

"Can't list equipment, wife checks here to see what I have bought lately" (calicokat)

djchrono
85 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 22, 2011 13:46 |  #28

I have used both setups, and I like having one large monitor with a high resolution. I'm using a 27" at 2560x1440, and I like the large workspace it provides in apps without having to move certain windows or menus to another monitor. Though, for multitasking or having multiple apps open at the same time, two monitors may be better suited.

Canon 60D | Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L | Sigma 30mm 1.4 EX | Sigma 10-20mm 4-5.6 EX | Canon 580EX II

Snydremark
19,604 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 22, 2011 13:49 |  #29

How do you currently have it set up? I don't know for certain, but it seem that you should be able to (in theory) be running one off the VGA, one off the DisplayPort and the laptop screen as a third...

mtimber
Cream of the Crop
5,011 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 22, 2011 14:33 |  #30

Snydremark wrote in post #13585664 (external link)
How do you currently have it set up? I don't know for certain, but it seem that you should be able to (in theory) be running one off the VGA, one off the DisplayPort and the laptop screen as a third...

I have my hdmi running to my tv and my monitor lead running to my second monitor.

If I remember correctly switching one on, switches the other off...

"Lovely photo, you must have a really good camera"

sponsored links

7,565 views & 0 likes for this thread
One or two monitor setup?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.