Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 21 Dec 2011 (Wednesday) 11:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

THIS is the reason why we got bad copy.

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 22, 2011 09:11 |  #16

jwp721 wrote in post #13579569 (external link)
I certainly don't approve of how these delivery people are treating the packages....

But I have a bigger issue with the way some companies wrap their products for delivery. I sent a lens to Canon last year for repair and I think my package could have been dropped kicked across a concrete parking lot and not been damaged... but the return package from Canon was the lens wrapped in some bubble wrap with a little paper packaging. You could shake the box and hear the lens bouncing around inside the box.

Shipping is expensive. What most companies do, is calculate the least expensive way to package a product based on its durability.

So I would think the cost of replacing the x percent that get damaged, is less then the cost of shipping all of them better.

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

sponsored links
LightRules
"flat out embarrassing"
9,909 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Dec 22, 2011 11:09 |  #17

BuckyN8 wrote in post #13584177 (external link)
Of course I see this on the day my Sigma 17-50 is suppose to arrive :/

So sit on your curb all day until the truck comes. Then go directly up to the guy and say, "Hi, I'll take that for you!" :D

Tom_D
Goldmember
1,425 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 22, 2011 11:38 |  #18

My daughter saw the UPS guy on a bicycle towing a trailer the other day. I wish she had gotten a picture of that.

Gallery (external link)
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
More Wag, Less Bark

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 22, 2011 11:49 |  #19

I saw some of these on the news yesterday.

The working people who have done that are just that....people And are not representative of any of the companies shown.
Any company anywhere doing anything has a bad one or two they are looking to weed.
Anyone think for a nano second the say UPS as a company is accepting of this behaviour?

As with any company....or anything in life.....more than 80% do the right thing day in and day out.

Seeing those videos if anything has reduced the chance anyone of you will have your package thrown.
Think about it.......anyone here that has responded...if it was your job...would you be throwing packages? No. And that is most certainly true of most of the companies alluded to.

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
5,935 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 22, 2011 15:04 as a reply to  @ You-by-Lou's post |  #20

Yep. Its a pretty mundane, repetitive job. Its easy to for people to get lax or lazy. Then something like this gets caught on film and everyone gets a briefing and tightens back up. Bet packages are getting well taken care of right now! LOL

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Unregistered.Coward
884 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 22, 2011 16:22 |  #21

The silly part of this all is the belief people have that their packages are handled otherwise. Or need to be.

If you dropped the box your lens was is, would you expect it to survive or be rendered inoperable. Do you honestly think you package has a placid, boring journey from origin to destination, that it's not jumbled, tumbled, bounced and tossed as it passes from truck to hub, sorted and consolidated?

If the package can't survive a drop of 4-5 feet, than the manufacturer and/or entity shipping the article is at fauly.

....the best camera is the one you have on you at the time.

wayne.robbins
Goldmember
2,062 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 22, 2011 16:45 |  #22

ben805 wrote in post #13579396 (external link)
Now I know why sometime I end up getting "bad copy" lens.

Hmmm. That and a few other possible reasons- but yeah, this always comes to mind- not the first time though.

StructuredAmazing wrote in post #13579477 (external link)
miguel, why do you choose fedex when ups/usps is cheaper?

It used to be that tracking thru UPS took up till a few days after delivery.
Ship things only thru USPS when required; have you ever used their tracking ?? I would never ship something important thru USPS unless it was my last choice. I might add- they aren't any more concerned with your packages than UPS or Fedex - I've personally seen how things are treated years back.. You don't want to know.

kory wrote in post #13579558 (external link)
I have worked for fedex and ups and overall I promise fedex is much more careful than ups. This happens a lot at the hubs just usually not in front of the public. It is sad but true. My only advice is to buy insurance.

Insurance would be the first good piece of advice; neither is really more caring of your shipments though- period. The second piece of valid advice - is to avoid shipping during the Christmas season- drivers get tired of handling the influx of shipments. After a while, there's a number that no longer care about your goods- they just want it to finish. The third piece of advice is to avoid shipping a lot of anything that comes in multiple boxes at any one time.

I've sent a lot of stuff thru UPS/Fedex.. If it's big and heavy, they will likely drop test it a time or two- be sure to package it well. If it's a number of boxes- well, your chances of them dropping things and beating things up increases quite a bit- hence ship your stuff out in smaller shipments. I've had 8 servers arrive at one time, only to have the receptionist watch, and tell me later that the UPS driver dropped almost every one bringing them in- letting them roll down the steps.. Mostly, no one sees it, but every now and then- it comes to the forefront.

EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...

Dimitris
296 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 22, 2011 16:58 |  #23

I seriously think that bad copies exist more to user measureberation and brick wall testing than shipping throwing the box around. :D

http://www.dimitriszer​vas.com/ (external link)

jetcode
Cream of the Crop
6,234 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 22, 2011 17:03 |  #24

Actually the reason bad copies exist is because there are tolerances to lens element alignment that have to be precise and if QA (Quality Assurance) does not test every lens in a lot (batch testing) there is a chance that a bad copy will be shipped. The copy if returned will be realigned. In some shops the customer does the QA. Not at Zeiss or Leica however. Every new lens is tested and certified. Individually tested lenses means higher prices. Note that Canon does this with premium lenses and most likely some QA testing with the medium premium (non white L's) and likely a general inspection with low cost lenses.

Old ­ Coot
295 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 22, 2011 17:06 as a reply to  @ wayne.robbins's post |  #25

UPS lost a package that I sent once. It just disappeared. The items inside cost $80, and I got a check for $80 to cover replacement. But, since it cost me $20 to send the package, I still ended up losing the $20 for the shipping. Now, I over-insure the packages to cover the shipping cost- just in case.

5d | 50d | 1d mii | Rebel G 35mm | Polaroid 100, 210, 360 | Bigma | Tokina 80-200 | Promaster 19-35 | 580ex | Olde Tyme Novatron strobes

mesakid
364 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 22, 2011 19:42 |  #26

I saw that FedEX video that went viral on YouTube a couple days ago, the same day I got my 7D :( but everything was fine.

https://www.youtube.co​m/that1cameraguy (external link)
A9|A7RIII|A6500|A6400|​A6300|A6000

j-dogg
Goldmember
1,292 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 22, 2011 22:49 as a reply to  @ post 13584177 |  #27

This is why I triple-wrap and insure EVERYTHING I ship.

5D / 400d / 70-200-4LIS / 50 Mk.I / 28-70
RB67 Pro-S / 50-90-180 Holy Trinity, 120/polaroid back
Graphic View I 4x5 / Schneider 180 / Meyer 135 / Ektar 127

LibertyToad
120 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 23, 2011 14:59 |  #28

kory wrote in post #13579558 (external link)
I have worked for fedex and ups and overall I promise fedex is much more careful than ups. This happens a lot at the hubs just usually not in front of the public. It is sad but true. My only advice is to buy insurance.

From my experience, FedEx is much better than UPS.

Canon 7D, 17-85mm USM IS, 70-300mm USM IS, 24-105mm f/4 USM IS L, 35mm f/2

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,060 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Dec 23, 2011 19:24 as a reply to  @ LibertyToad's post |  #29

I had a lens returned from the Canon Service Center in Irvine, CA via FEDEX. The delivery driver tossed it over a 6 foot chain link fence onto a concrete surface.

Luckily, Canon had packed the lens quite well and there was no damage.

I contacted both Canon and FEDEX and both organizations basically stated: "If no damage was done, no sweat!".

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

BOS519
105 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 23, 2011 21:26 |  #30

This is one of the reasons why I always make the trip into Manhattan to pick up my photo gear directly from B&H. That and the fact that it feels like I'm making the pilgrimage to Mecca...

Canon 7D w/grip | Sigma 10-20mm | EF 28mm 2.8 | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 24-70L f/2.8 USM | 70-200L 2.8 IS USM II | Canon 430ex II (x3)| Manfrotto 190XProB tripod w/488RC0 head | Super clamps and other fun accessories
My Photojournal (external link)
My Flickr Page (external link)

sponsored links

6,043 views & 0 likes for this thread
THIS is the reason why we got bad copy.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.