Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Nov 2011 (Saturday) 22:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

out of camera vs edits, lets see them

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 13, 2011 15:40 |  #106

Beau Hudspeth wrote in post #13539486 (external link)
I'm sorry, I don't. I did not learn from a book or classes. Just 1000's of hours in Photoshop since version 3.0. :D

*cough* Teach Workshops... *cough*

That's where the $$$ is...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links
Beau ­ Hudspeth
-Cool Title-
2,839 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 13, 2011 16:01 |  #107

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #13539499 (external link)
*cough* Teach Workshops... *cough*

That's where the $$$ is...

Now THAT has been proposed before and might be worth pursuing. ;)

Photoshop Action SetMy Flickr (external link)

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 13, 2011 17:34 |  #108

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMG_9149_before_after (external link) by jk@ebs (external link), on Flickr

click for larger size on flickr

wfarrell4
Goldmember
2,551 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 13, 2011 20:43 |  #109
bannedPermanent ban

Some composites:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Christmas Tree (external link) by wfarrell4 (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Christmas Tree (external link) by wfarrell4 (external link), on Flickr

Will: flickr (external link)
Canon EOS

Merry Christmas

AltgnJoey
885 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 13, 2011 21:39 |  #110

IMAGE NOT FOUND
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

https://500px.com/jose​ph-kurtz (external link)
www.josephkurtzphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

SethDuBois
718 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 14, 2011 23:28 |  #111

OOC w/ lots of dust :( (shooting at f/29 didn't help either, I need a 9-10 stop ND!)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Edit
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7152/6513726767_3132931ac8_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/sethdubois/6513​726767/  (external link)
Williamete bend (external link) by SethDuBois (external link), on Flickr

Gear & Feedback|Flickr (external link)|500px (external link)|Facebook (external link)
www.sethdubois.com (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 14, 2011 23:46 |  #112

Nice image, Seth! I've never been that far out on the Willamette!

You know, it's funny, but I always get thrown off on the spelling for that name. I had thought that it was spelled "Williamette" but never bothered to really look. Then I saw it's spelled "Willamette":)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

SethDuBois
718 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 15, 2011 00:14 |  #113

tonylong wrote in post #13547384 (external link)
Nice image, Seth! I've never been that far out on the Willamette!

You know, it's funny, but I always get thrown off on the spelling for that name. I had thought that it was spelled "Williamette" but never bothered to really look. Then I saw it's spelled "Willamette":)!

Thanks! This is about a half mile from where I live, so it's a common place I take some pictures.

Whoops! I threw you off, meant to spell Williamette with the "i". Although I've always been thrown off as well since it's pronounced without the "i"!

Gear & Feedback|Flickr (external link)|500px (external link)|Facebook (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 15, 2011 00:37 |  #114

SethDuBois wrote in post #13547496 (external link)
Thanks! This is about a half mile from where I live, so it's a common place I take some pictures.

Whoops! I threw you off, meant to spell Williamette with the "i". Although I've always been thrown off as well since it's pronounced without the "i"!

Actually, I found that it's "Willamette" without the middle "i". That's what has thrown me off, because for one thing some "casual" use of the term does use the middle i, but if you just do a search you will see that it's real spelling is "Wilamette"!

Anyway, that's a nice scene, and it looks like it would be a nice place to visit!

I used to work for HP here in Vancouver, never went to the Corvallis plant, but met some nice folks from there in Singapore in all places:)!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Dec 21, 2011 21:44 |  #115

Thread has been quiet for a little while, so I thought I might share my first efforts at a "Product Shot". These were posted a while ago, but this topic is tailor made for revisiting them.

A neighbor asked me about shooting a chair he invented. It is fitted with motors* that moves in all three axises, as well as feedback pads in the armrests and thigh pads. It can have one of two inputs, 1) it taps into the physics engine of a computer for a very responsive, very real experience in flight sims or racing games, or, 2) it can receive accelerometer telemetry from drone aircraft so they can be flown remotely with the pilot receiving all the supplemental sensory input that he would have if he were actually in the air.

(*That is the "invention" part of this - he developed some sort of plunger motor, that is neither pneumatic nor hydraulic but has a response speed that is an order of magnitude faster than either of those.)

He has had interest from various manufactures and the Air Force, but has not had photos to send. Knowing my hobby he asked me if I knew anyone who had experience in this type of work. I thought it might be a chance for me to stretch my skills a bit, so I offered to do it for free.

We pulled it to the front of his garage and hung some paper in the background to cover his workshop (I expected to cut it out, and I wanted a neutral background to make that process a little easier.)

No one here was trying for anything aesthetically challenging - just presenting the chair in an attractive manner. He it thrilled with the results, and though I can't say I'm thrilled, I am pleased for my first swing at this pitch.

Thanks go to everyone here who has posted product shots for critique, as reading those threads helped me with having pointed various different directions, so I didn't have to just stare at the RAW files and say "Now what?" to myself.

First shot was intended to give an overview of the system. One of the unexpected problems was reflections. You can see his legs and feet in side panel on the source image, and I had to clone those out.

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

So, here it is with general contrast and saturation adjustments. Background "gradient" came for blurring, smudging, and blurring the actual background.

We did several other shots, and I am not going to post all of them here, but this one presenting a rather unexpected problem:

As we rotated the chair, the side panels on both sides popped out. They are not locked down at this point. Neither one of us noticed it at the time of shooting, and by the time I saw it in post it was too late to re shoot. Only option was to close the door digitally. It doesn't look like much, but it was quite a job.

After that, cut, contrast and saturation, shadow and reflection. I had known from other peoples attempt posted here, that you can't simply invert something for the reflection. Then it occurred to me - I inverted it, cut the inversion into a left and a right half, and then skewed each half to line up with the actual bottom of the chair.

So, again, thanks to all who had cleared the path over these last few years - particularly those who have shared expertise in automotive shots - it made my job a lot easier.

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

Xxx ­ Stormy ­ xxX
180 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 21, 2011 22:04 |  #116

SethDuBois wrote in post #13547321 (external link)
OOC w/ lots of dust :( (shooting at f/29 didn't help either, I need a 9-10 stop ND!)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

Edit
QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/sethdubois/6513​726767/  (external link)
Williamete bend (external link) by SethDuBois (external link), on Flickr

Really nice tones!!

"A closed mouth gathers no foot"
5DmkII | 50L | Siggy 85 | 135L

SethDuBois
718 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 21, 2011 23:33 |  #117

Thank you! I'm still learning a lot about PP, so I'm really happy with how it turned out :)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 22, 2011 03:08 |  #118

Radtech1 wrote in post #13582290 (external link)
Only option was to close the door digitally. It doesn't look like much, but it was quite a job.

Select using a path, select side (with a bit room to spare) and copy to a new layer & use said path as a vector mask.
Free transform and nudge left.

Clone as needed (shouldn't be much).

First edit is okay, but in the second it looks like you used the healing brush where you should have used an airbrush or the regular clone tool: There are some "smudges" in the transitions in the sides, distorting the reflections…

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Xxx ­ Stormy ­ xxX
180 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 22, 2011 03:34 |  #119

SethDuBois wrote in post #13582802 (external link)
Thank you! I'm still learning a lot about PP, so I'm really happy with how it turned out :)

I'm no stranger to PP, but sometimes I'm "tonally challenged" lol.. which is why I appreciate good ones when I see them ;)

Anyway, here's a crazy before/after I did this week.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

YoVenice (1 of 1) (external link) by Sweetworks Photography (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE NOT FOUND

YoVenice (1 of 1)-2 (external link) by [URL=http://www.flickr​.com/people/pixelwhipp​ed/]Sweetworks P

"A closed mouth gathers no foot"
5DmkII | 50L | Siggy 85 | 135L

boerewors
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,948 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 23, 2011 04:03 |  #120

where did you get that bg texture? i like it very much!

The most important piece of gear you own, resides in your head and its called your brain.

sponsored links

20,194 views & 0 likes for this thread
out of camera vs edits, lets see them
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.