Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 20 Dec 2011 (Tuesday) 13:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA or Netbook

Frank ­ Kaiser
32 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Dec 23, 2011 19:04 |  #16

james_in_baltimore wrote in post #13590000 (external link)
Is this faster than using the typical windows import photos dialog? It would be nice to find something that auto imports upon inserting my CF card or just with a click or two at most.

I will probably just use zoom browser for basic preview and culling obvious rejects.

I don't think it gets any easier than Downloader Pro.

http://www.breezesys.c​om/Downloader/index.ht​m (external link)

Breezebrowser is also a great viewer/converter.

http://www.breezesys.c​om/BreezeBrowser/index​.htm (external link)

sponsored links
Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Dec 23, 2011 19:11 |  #17

^^^^+10000. That's what I use and it supports geotagging as part of the process.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

thedge
417 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 24, 2011 08:40 |  #18

tvphotog wrote in post #13580694 (external link)
For me, the Hyperdrive is a life saver. You can shoot all day and still have clean cards the next AM. Download speed is not an issue for me, I generally don't sit there waiting for transfer to complete, anyway. It takes up almost no space. And because my shoots won't tolerate lost shots, I sometimes use two Hyperdrives for a double backup.

The only reason to have anything else is for web functions, IMO. The above setup is too bulky and unnecessary for my needs.

I'm lucky in that one of the Hyperdrives is an Album, with a 5" screen in HD. They're not offered anymore, as far as I can tell.

One Hyperdrive UDMA can back itself up to a regular USB drive by the way.

http://www.hypershop.c​om …arry-Case-p/hdcsu-acs.htm (external link)

7D - 100-400 L, Sigma 28, Sigma 17-70 2.8-4

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 24, 2011 09:14 |  #19
bannedPermanent ban

One other thing the hyperdrive has going for it is the ability to take a backup battery with you into the field without taking up much space.

How long does a netbook battery last in the field?

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 24, 2011 15:50 |  #20

thedge wrote in post #13593646 (external link)
One Hyperdrive UDMA can back itself up to a regular USB drive by the way.

http://www.hypershop.c​om …arry-Case-p/hdcsu-acs.htm (external link)

That is really cool. Little pricey at $50, but very cool. So if you did something like swap out your Hyperdrives HDD for a smaller SSD and say that filled up by the end of the day but you had a larger external HDD say at your hotel room you could dump the data off there then start fresh the next day.

Hogloff wrote in post #13593738 (external link)
One other thing the hyperdrive has going for it is the ability to take a backup battery with you into the field without taking up much space.

Yea and as I understand it the Hyperdrives battery life it VERY good.

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

james_in_baltimore
THREAD ­ STARTER
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Dec 27, 2011 07:57 |  #21

Most good netbooks will give you about 6-8 hours of constant use on battery. So, that should be more than enough for most people, since when you are shooting, the netbook could just be in sleep mode.

James Harris Photography - Weddings Portraits Events (external link)
Canon 7D, 5D Mkii, 580EX II X2, 430EX, ST-E2
24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 17-40mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.4

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 27, 2011 09:42 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

james_in_baltimore wrote in post #13604157 (external link)
Most good netbooks will give you about 6-8 hours of constant use on battery. So, that should be more than enough for most people, since when you are shooting, the netbook could just be in sleep mode.

Is that 6-8 hours backing up photos or just being on. I would think the hard drive drains batteries a lot faster than just surfing the web.

amirshakoor
191 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 27, 2011 09:49 as a reply to  @ Hogloff's post |  #23

Your biggest drain will be the screen, set it to the lowest brightness and close the lid when not in use, it will last a while. If you are still concerned about battery life get an SSD for it.

[2 x 1D X Mark II | 16-35L II | 24-105L | 24-70L II | 70-200L II | 24L II | 50L | 85L II | 135L | 5 x 600EX-RT | 4 x Einstein E640 | Detailed Gear and Feedback...]

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 28, 2011 04:57 |  #24

And it doesn't need a power supply the size and weight of a brick to recharge it, just a USB port and cable (which I already take along to charge my phone, GPS, etc.)

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 28, 2011 05:03 |  #25

I'd rather just take all the memory cards I have and not shoot blindly like a fool. I can do something like 3,000 raw images on the cards I have. No extra bloat.

If that's not enough, the full laptop can be brought along. It's not a super light solution but it's not terrible AND it's my main machine, so I'm only transferring once.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

jnaks
474 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 28, 2011 12:24 |  #26

cdifoto wrote in post #13608804 (external link)
I'd rather just take all the memory cards I have and not shoot blindly like a fool. I can do something like 3,000 raw images on the cards I have. No extra bloat.

If that's not enough, the full laptop can be brought along. It's not a super light solution but it's not terrible AND it's my main machine, so I'm only transferring once.

a lot of people that have hyperdrives also have a lot of cards. it's more about the backup and the option of formatting a card at a shoot (or trip), if necessary, that's attractive. the fact that I can double backup with a USB drive is also a plus. It's all about what you prefer, really. Album was a great option that unfortunately is not available any longer -- dunno what the rumor mill had about it returning.

If you can read this, you don't need a macro | 7D + 5DIII + Waaaay too much spent....

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 28, 2011 21:00 |  #27

It looks like PSD makers haven't adjusted their pricing in the netbook era. Bye bye.

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 29, 2011 09:45 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

Mike55 wrote in post #13612639 (external link)
It looks like PSD makers haven't adjusted their pricing in the netbook era. Bye bye.

Really depends what you value. If price is the highest determining factor on your list, then yeh you might do better with
Netbooks. However if you value weight, bulk and battery life, then the netbook just might not be your best choice.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 29, 2011 13:14 |  #29

In the past I used a netbook, partly because I wanted something that could do email and web surfing as well as backup photos. Now my phone can do those two adequately. Since then I've used the Hyperdrive for backups because of the weight and convenience advantages. My netbook hasn't seen the light of day for about two years.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 29, 2011 16:45 |  #30

Hogloff wrote in post #13614801 (external link)
Really depends what you value. If price is the highest determining factor on your list, then yeh you might do better with
Netbooks. However if you value weight, bulk and battery life, then the netbook just might not be your best choice.

The problem is there are devices much cheaper than the Hyperdrive, such as the Dooin Media Manager ($50).

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

sponsored links

5,701 views & 0 likes for this thread
Hyperdrive Colorspace UDMA or Netbook
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.