Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 Oct 2011 (Sunday) 21:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Tamron 60mm f2 macro micro-review and sample pics

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 23, 2011 20:10 |  #31

vorlon1 wrote in post #13588675 (external link)
I re-ran your lens cap shots with my copy. I focused on the R. The first shot is at f/2 the second at f/2.8. No processing was done (beyond re-sizing). I ran exif data on these, but I can't see anything on it pertaining to the lens number. Are there variances in exif programs? If so, could someone suggest one that will give me the lens number?

I'm confused. Are you trying to determine if your lens is front/back focusing, or if it has the degraded cross-type autofocus sensor problem? The lens ID has nothing to do with the former, and your test shots won't help with the later (it should be be able to focus on that with horizontal, vertical, or cross type sensors).

Yes, there are differences in programs which report EXIF data - which fields they display, and what labels they use for those fields. The Lens ID (or Lens Model) is one of the Canon-specific EXIF fields, which not all programs will decode.

sponsored links
vorlon1
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 23, 2011 21:57 |  #32

Folks had been posting various samples of what the lens could do, so I was just adding to this, as I believe the lens is focusing accurately. I did want to look up that code out of curiosity, and my exif program wasn't showing it, so that is why I inquired about exif programs.

"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin
5Dc Gripped, 6D Gripped, Nikon D300, Olympus OMD-EM1, Fuji XT-20, Pentax 50 1.4, 40mm f/2.8 Pancake, 24-105 mm L, 85mm 1.8, 18-200mm 3.5-5.6, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro, 70-200mm f/4 L, etc.
Smugmug: http://paladinphotos.s​mugmug.com/ (external link)

lar55
277 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 24, 2011 18:24 |  #33

vorlon1 wrote in post #13592461 (external link)
Folks had been posting various samples of what the lens could do, so I was just adding to this, as I believe the lens is focusing accurately. I did want to look up that code out of curiosity, and my exif program wasn't showing it, so that is why I inquired about exif programs.

OK, I understand now.

I use a few different EXIF programs, but these are all under Linux so they probably won't help you. But you might want to try exiftool (external link) which seems to also have a Windows build. It may not be the easiest or friendliest tool to use, but it decodes a lot of fields that other programs do not. It can be handy to have around for troubleshooting.

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 24, 2011 23:06 |  #34

Looks like yours focuses accurately, awesome :) I should have mine in about a week...so stoked...time to put the 50 1.8 up for sale, methinks :)

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

vorlon1
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 25, 2011 08:58 |  #35

LowriderS10 wrote in post #13595895 (external link)
Looks like yours focuses accurately, awesome :) I should have mine in about a week...so stoked...time to put the 50 1.8 up for sale, methinks :)

Right, that's exactly why I put it up, to show you that for encouragement sake, since I know you are waiting.

5Dc Gripped, 6D Gripped, Nikon D300, Olympus OMD-EM1, Fuji XT-20, Pentax 50 1.4, 40mm f/2.8 Pancake, 24-105 mm L, 85mm 1.8, 18-200mm 3.5-5.6, Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8, Tamron 60mm f/2 Macro, 70-200mm f/4 L, etc.

vorlon1
Goldmember
1,236 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 25, 2011 09:05 |  #36

lar55 wrote in post #13595214 (external link)
OK, I understand now.

I use a few different EXIF programs, but these are all under Linux so they probably won't help you. But you might want to try exiftool (external link) which seems to also have a Windows build. It may not be the easiest or friendliest tool to use, but it decodes a lot of fields that other programs do not. It can be handy to have around for troubleshooting.

Thanks, I went and got it and it did have a listing for lens number, unfortunately it showed all zeros :cry: But, I suppose it doesn't matter, since it seems to be performing just fine.

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 25, 2011 17:42 |  #37

vorlon1 wrote in post #13596728 (external link)
Right, that's exactly why I put it up, to show you that for encouragement sake, since I know you are waiting.

Thanks, appreciate it!! :)

vorlon1 wrote in post #13596743 (external link)
Thanks, I went and got it and it did have a listing for lens number, unfortunately it showed all zeros :cry: But, I suppose it doesn't matter, since it seems to be performing just fine.

For sure, if it works well, don't worry about it...however, if you (or a friend) has a Flickr account, upload your pictures and the EXIF reader built into Flickr will tell you :)

-=Gear=-

alex.hondsmerk
Goldmember
1,547 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 26, 2011 08:03 |  #38

I just bought this lens! Yaay! And it focuses correctly too.
Can't wait to get out and use it :D
The question is, should I sell the 50 1.8?

Gripped 50D, 24-105 f/4 L, 70-200 f/4 L, EF-S 17-85, 50 f/1.8 II "L" (external link), Tamron 60 f/2 Macro, Samyang 8mm fisheye, 430EX
Flickr (external link)

LowriderS10
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 26, 2011 17:42 |  #39

alex.hondsmerk wrote in post #13599831 (external link)
I just bought this lens! Yaay! And it focuses correctly too.
Can't wait to get out and use it :D
The question is, should I sell the 50 1.8?

Congrats, glad you're liking it! Post some samples, please, I'd love to see what you're doing with it :)

I know it's a bit of a dilemma as to whether to sell the 50 1.8, but here's how I'm looking at it: The Tamron is pretty much as fast as the Nifty Fifty (what's a third of a stop between friends?), with way better AF, better build, better IQ and better MFD. It's pretty much the same focal length, so I don't see any reason to keep the Nifty Fifty (especially because it's such a common lens, if you ever decide you miss it, you could have another one in your hands within hours). I'm going to sell my 50 1.8 to offset the cost of the Tamron and clear some space...I'm moving/travelling a lot and the less stuff I have the better...especially if it's redundant gear. I just can't see myself reaching for the 50 1.8 when I have the Tamron 60 f2 sitting right next to it.

-=Gear=-

sponsored links

10,898 views & 0 likes for this thread
Tamron 60mm f2 macro micro-review and sample pics
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.