Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 24 Nov 2009 (Tuesday) 13:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Who here runs a photo booth at their weddings?

Michelle ­ Brooks ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 01, 2011 12:54 |  #256

TheHoff wrote in post #9077231 (external link)
Well, Debbie Downer, people seem to like them and it doesn't take any of your focus; if it is profitable enough to run, you put an assistant on it. It is gimmicky but so are a lot of things at receptions. I've never run one at a wedding but I've set them up at my own parties and they are lots of fun. At a reception you obviously get guests being goofballs to make the B&G laugh at the photos later on.

If you're not running it... it makes money... and both guests and clients like it... why not?

"Debbie Downer.":lol::lol::lol: I love SNL references.

Michelle Brooks Photography (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links
Michelle ­ Brooks ­ Photography
Goldmember
3,192 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2009

Apr 01, 2011 12:56 |  #257

bulayog wrote in post #12133849 (external link)
The ST-E2 will not fire your SBs. They're different systems. Either you go manual and use sync cords or optical slave for your SBs. And I would assume that the 590EXIIs was a typo error for 580EXIIs.

oops! Yes. 580EXIIs not 590.

Michelle Brooks Photography (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Twitter (external link)
Gear List

magnum703
121 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 01, 2011 14:47 |  #258

jonwhite wrote in post #12133333 (external link)
Yes, we use just the ST-E2 to fire all four flashes, all of them are set to slave and the power set manually on them. I don't know if it would work with a mixture of canon and Nikon flashes as I only own Canon flashes.

I own a photography business that runs a photo booth service. My partner uses big bulky strobes. They are very annoying since they are heavy, with wires and need power outlets. Been looking for alternatives and I found this thread... :D
I shoot weddings so I have 1x580exii, 2x430 ex, softbox and stands. I'm just not sure if it is powerful enough to do the photobooths since I have got used to those powerful strobes!
I was thinking of 580EXII on my camera as bounce flash/trigger and using the 430EXs with the softboxes on left and right. Do you think it's powerful enough? Thanks!

ED

40D w/grip, 50 f1.4, 17-40L, 70-200 f2.8 ISL, EF extender 1.4x II, 580EXII, 430EX

www.footprintstudios.c​a (external link)

jonwhite
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 01, 2011 17:03 |  #259

The only time you need a lot of power is if your shooting in bright conditions and need to overpower ambient, if your shooting in dim and dark conditions like all our receptions are then 4 speedlites give more than enough flash output.

Having to use mains strobes would be a real put off for me, cables trailing on the floor are dangerous, as are heavy lights and it would also limit where we could throw it up ... a speedlite with an umbrella attached isn't going to hurt someone if its gets knocked over and they allow for set-up anywhere.

Wedding Portfolio Website (external link) | Wedding Photographer Blog (external link)

magnum703
121 posts
Joined May 2008

Apr 02, 2011 09:33 |  #260

jonwhite wrote in post #12140317 (external link)
The only time you need a lot of power is if your shooting in bright conditions and need to overpower ambient, if your shooting in dim and dark conditions like all our receptions are then 4 speedlites give more than enough flash output.

Having to use mains strobes would be a real put off for me, cables trailing on the floor are dangerous, as are heavy lights and it would also limit where we could throw it up ... a speedlite with an umbrella attached isn't going to hurt someone if its g the ets knocked over and they allow for set-up anywhere.

Thanks for the reply. do you think 2x430ex is enough light thoughh? I'll have the 580 as the IR remote

ED

40D w/grip, 50 f1.4, 17-40L, 70-200 f2.8 ISL, EF extender 1.4x II, 580EXII, 430EX

www.footprintstudios.c​a (external link)

Techkevin
23 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Apr 07, 2011 02:17 as a reply to  @ magnum703's post |  #261

I have the highlite 6' X 7' and use 4 X 430ex II if you look on the lastolite website they have a video using only 1 flashgun pointing into the highlite, I'm going to use 2 flashguns pointing at the joint between the highlite and train apparently they look slightly different white, then one with diffuser to provide main light. But I got great info off people on this site the flashguns facing into the backdrop must be at a higher power than the one lighting the subjects!!

jonwhite
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 07, 2011 06:29 |  #262

magnum703 wrote in post #12143583 (external link)
Thanks for the reply. do you think 2x430ex is enough light thoughh? I'll have the 580 as the IR remote

You can light the background with one speedlight but I wouldn't want to do it, 2 makes it easier to get the background even. You then also need to use at least one speedlight to light people from the front, but again I prefer to use two speedlights on umbrellas.

Its possible to do an awful lot with a minimum amount of light IF you know your lighting well but I personally wouldn't want to try and run my setup with just 2 lights which is why I have 6 speedlights in total, spares are important and also give me the opportunity to shoot other things whilst the photo booth is setup.

Wedding Portfolio Website (external link) | Wedding Photographer Blog (external link)

jonwhite
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 05, 2011 12:24 |  #263

Nice little added bonus from running our photo booth, we got some free publicity on one of the popular wedding blogs here in the UK.

Brides Up North Wedding Blog - Boundless Photos Photo Booth (external link)

Strictly speaking the blog is aimed at brides outside our main region but we do weddings all over the country and they get visitors from all over too so its all good!

jackies35
796 posts
Joined May 2006

May 11, 2011 15:46 |  #264

RT McAllister wrote in post #9079175 (external link)
Well, so is the chicken dance but you still see it whether you want to or not. :lol:

:D

Hahaha!! LMBOTF - LAUGHING MY BUTT ON THE FLOOR! HAHAHAAH

Just a Christian passing by Event Photography.......
www.pictureme2.com (external link) & www.twitter.com/pictur​eme2 (external link)

Nikon D7000 18-105 mm f3.5/50 mm f/1.4
Rebel XT
/50mm f1.4/Sigma 17-70mm f2.8

ChadAndreo
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Sep 20, 2011 03:28 |  #265

Do you guys have any other budget friendly suggestions for a good backdrop besides the HiLite?

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

Pixel ­ Boy
200 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 23, 2011 17:47 |  #266

I run the biggest HiLite, with 3 Bowens 750pro's love it but I want an enclosed system and to leave an assistant with it.

Any ideas on which system to go for? I'm leaning to the Mojo photobooth as value for money is great $6995.

Gear: Hasselblad H4D-31, HC 35 3.2, HC 80 2.8 HC 150 3.2, 5D mkIII, 1Ds mkI, rebuilding glass collection for DSLR, Elinchrom Quadra Hybrid with A heads, 3x Bowens Gemini 750 Pro with accessories.....

siddr20
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 24, 2011 01:26 |  #267

My setup. Simple and effective:

Just a setup shot using One Paul C Buff Strobe (Ab1600 in a BD)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i575.photobucke​t.com …rishi/_MG_9595_​resize.jpg (external link)

Result:

IMAGE: http://sidd-rishi.com.au/blog/wp-content/gallery/michellejames2/44.jpg

Would love to light the backdrop etc, but sometimes you just dont have the space nor the time. Just one light pointing straight at the subject.
I have printed the above pics in an album and they have turned out great and the clients loved it.
Backdrop is just a normal white paper roll.

www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)http://www.sidd-rishi.com.au (external link)

johnlaurence
46 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 24, 2011 02:41 |  #268

I like this simple system, my only concern would be getting the paper roll in the car.
What width of roll are you using?

Thanks

John

Grandads Photos (external link)

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 24, 2011 07:15 |  #269

I get a lot of enquiries about photo booths but usually for just weddings. I say I can only take a booking is I'm the tog on the day and I never hear back.

So my style of wedding photography clashes with the sort who want a photo booth.

Fine by me :D

The Hi Lites's are the ones to use but they take up space and here in the UK one thing venues lack is a 3m x 3m space to put one.

Chris Giles Photography

johnlaurence
46 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 24, 2011 11:04 |  #270

I was thinking of offering a photo booth at events, I was also concerned about taking up to much room in a small venue, for example a room in a pub. Anyone have any bad experience with this?

Grandads Photos (external link)

sponsored links

46,501 views & 0 likes for this thread
Who here runs a photo booth at their weddings?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.