Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 26 Aug 2009 (Wednesday) 23:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

HS Volleyball

MT ­ Stringer
Goldmember
4,650 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 01, 2011 23:57 |  #61

He posted his camera settings in the very first post of this thread. Did you miss that part? :D

MaxPreps Profile (external link)

My Gear List

sponsored links
Damadsetta
442 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 02, 2011 08:08 |  #62

RKKOLLURI wrote in post #13482775 (external link)
Hi Kevin - these pictures are awesome and I have no words. Would you mind sharing the EXIF, metering type, dial mode and focus mode etc details?
Also, I have a 7D and planning to upgrade to 5d Mark II. You think it will work for sports photography? Mark II has 9 focus points and burst rate is low compared 7D. Do you have any suggestions for me? I appreciate it.

If your primary focus is sports, you'll be disappointed in the 5d, although it produces fantastic images, you'll have much higher keeper rates with the autofocus of a 7 or 1d.

habenero
234 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Dec 02, 2011 09:25 |  #63

Really nice job! I like 4, 7 and 8. That girl can get in the air!

Randy

RKKOLLURI
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 24, 2011 18:26 as a reply to  @ Damadsetta's post |  #64

Kevin, thank you very much for your response.
I shoot portraits and sports both, and actually, I volunteered to be a photographer for my 12 yr old volleyball tournaments, and it's going to be total 10-12 matches. I guess I am going to have to rent 1D Mark IV and see how it works for me. I already own 85mm f/1.8 and 70-200mm IS II lenses. Do you think I will need 24-70mm 2.8 USM too in addition to 135mm f/2.0?
Also, what about your comments on 1D Mark IV camera?

Big ­ K
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 24, 2011 18:36 |  #65

RKKOLLURI wrote in post #13595220 (external link)
Kevin, thank you very much for your response.
I shoot portraits and sports both, and actually, I volunteered to be a photographer for my 12 yr old volleyball tournaments, and it's going to be total 10-12 matches. I guess I am going to have to rent 1D Mark IV and see how it works for me. I already own 85mm f/1.8 and 70-200mm IS II lenses. Do you think I will need 24-70mm 2.8 USM too in addition to 135mm f/2.0?
Also, what about your comments on 1D Mark IV camera?

I don't ever use my 70-200 for VB, just the 85 and 135. I also only have a Mk III and like to keep ISO at 3200 or below and take advantage of the f/2 capability of the primes to keep shutter speeds up.

I think with the increased ISO of the Mk IV you will be fine with any combination of lenses you mentioned. I love the primes but a Mk IV and the new 70-200 would be a killer combination.

Unless you are looking for some creative, wide shots, I don't think you will find much need for the 24-70. I do find myself wishing for a bit more reach than 135 far more often than wishing for wider shots that would need something less than 85.

Hope that helps. Good luck!!

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

Big ­ K
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 24, 2011 18:38 |  #66

Damadsetta wrote in post #13483970 (external link)
If your primary focus is sports, you'll be disappointed in the 5d, although it produces fantastic images, you'll have much higher keeper rates with the autofocus of a 7 or 1d.

I missed this post. I fully agree. I have both a 5D and 5D Mk II and they just don't cut it for consistent AF performance. When they hit, they are awesome but way too may don't hit for my taste.

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

Aressem
Goldmember
4,368 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 25, 2011 16:18 |  #67

Superb images (although I'm sure you already know that ;) )

Ryan Mackay WEBSITE (external link) | FACEBOOK (external link) | GEAR LIST | Buy & Sell Feedback: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

RKKOLLURI
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 27, 2011 08:19 as a reply to  @ Big K's post |  #68

It does help. Thank you, Kevin!

RKKOLLURI
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 27, 2011 08:21 as a reply to  @ Damadsetta's post |  #69

Thank you for your response, Damadsetta!
I have made a decision to not to go with 5D Mark II.
Regards.

rrookey
299 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 27, 2011 08:29 |  #70

Really nice work!

RustyHammer
685 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 29, 2011 23:33 |  #71

... Outstanding !!!

Gear List

sponsored links

12,741 views & 0 likes for this thread
HS Volleyball
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.