Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 Dec 2011 (Saturday) 19:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A bleacher full of kids...

Don ­ Madson
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 24, 2011 19:29 |  #1

50D. 70-200L/2.8. 430EXII.

Bleacher full of kids (holiday concert)

In a gym, high ceilings with angled baffles, clear across the room. No good angling the flash unit.

How do I take care of the red-eye problem? Putting the 430EXII on the hot shoe disables the red-eye reduction lamp, and I can't find a way to deal with the issue. Sure, I can fix 'em in post, but next time this comes up, I'd rather know how to do it correctly...

Exposures were fine, and by moving somewhat to the side, I could change the angle enough to not have the red-eye effect, and did shoot some using a higher ISO and available light, but still want to know the correct fix...

Thanks!
Don

dmadson.photoreflect.c​om
T'ai Chi Ch'uan...Relaxation, with an attitude!
---------------
70D, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, some lenses, a tripod, a monopod, some filters, a few straps, some batteries, 2 flash units, a few bags...;)

sponsored links
Tim ­ S
Goldmember
1,484 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 24, 2011 19:32 |  #2

Bounce? Bounce card....

Tim
Equipment

Don ­ Madson
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 24, 2011 19:36 |  #3

Tim S wrote in post #13595373 (external link)
Bounce? Bounce card....

REALLY high ceiling...

---------------
70D, Mamiya 645 Pro TL, some lenses, a tripod, a monopod, some filters, a few straps, some batteries, 2 flash units, a few bags...;)

Albert ­ Nam
393 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 24, 2011 22:09 |  #4

I think that with default settings the DOF preview button will fire the speedlite stroboscopically for a second or two as a modeling lamp, which should cause eyes to constrict enough to reduce red eye. Or perhaps hit the crowd with a few full power pops before you take the shot?

Gear
flickr (external link)

Don ­ Madson
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 24, 2011 22:24 |  #5

Albert Nam wrote in post #13595744 (external link)
I think that with default settings the DOF preview button will fire the speedlite stroboscopically for a second or two as a modeling lamp, which should cause eyes to constrict enough to reduce red eye. Or perhaps hit the crowd with a few full power pops before you take the shot?

Hi, Albert!

Yeah, I've been experimenting with settings, and have discovered that if the camera is set to AV or M, I can use the modeling light to blast the subject for a second or two, then release the shutter. I haven't tried the strobe techniques yet, but will shortly.

Thanks for the help.

Best!
Don

---------------

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Dec 25, 2011 05:18 |  #6

Get a cord to remotely connect the Speedlite to the camera and position the flash three or four feet above (and directly over) the camera. That should pretty much eliminate the red-eye problem.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Don ­ Madson
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 25, 2011 08:20 |  #7

SkipD wrote in post #13596485 (external link)
Get a cord to remotely connect the Speedlite to the camera and position the flash three or four feet above (and directly over) the camera. That should pretty much eliminate the red-eye problem.

Thanks, Skip, but I'm not sure the separation of 3-4 feet will cut it when the subjects are 50' away, across the width of the gym. I'll give it a whirl, though, and let y'all know!

Regards!
Don

---------------

PixelMagic
Cream of the Crop
5,546 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 25, 2011 08:25 |  #8

Shouldn't the question be whether its possible to light a group of kids on a bleacher with only a 430EX? Of course I don't know the ambient light but I'd imagine its quite low. You'll also have to shoot at a smaller aperture to get everyone in focus so I'm tempted to think that one 430EX cannot properly light a large group 50 feet away. How many kids are you talking about anyway?

Gear List

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,851 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 25, 2011 08:43 |  #9

SkipD wrote in post #13596485 (external link)

Or a flash bracket. Not as effective as 3 to 4 feet but it works.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Winco
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 25, 2011 09:01 as a reply to  @ digital paradise's post |  #10

I find shooting in gym's very tricky, my advice would be to go and look at the ambient lighting temp now!

White balance can be particularly difficult, I have shot in a gym where every light had a different temperature, apparently dependant on how old the mercury vapour bulbs were.

If you can get the white balance sorted ISO will be the key to getting this shot, the flash you are suggesting probably won't add anything.

There is a guide somewhere to the light fall-off with Canon flashes and in my experience at about 30' you have lost most of the benefit, I have used multiple 580 ex ii and still run out of power and I wouldn't dream of trying to capture a fifty person group.

At the minimum use manual setting and chimp.

Also make sure you have calculated your depth of field for the lens you plan to use at the distance you are shooting.

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Dec 25, 2011 10:38 |  #11

I have shot HS plays with that lens, and flash isn't allowed but I feel that the stage lighting adds something to the image. If you want a clean shot, with just ambient light, could you take it before the concert, or even better would be to shoot it during a dress rehearsal. At that time, you should be able to go anywhere in the theater without a problem

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

Don ­ Madson
THREAD ­ STARTER
360 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 26, 2011 12:22 as a reply to  @ Mike R's post |  #12

Thanks for your suggestions, everybody. My purpose for the original post was to deal with redeye while using my 430EXII. The off-shoe cord is probably the best idea.

Ambient light is crappy and green, there are 200 kids placed across 80' of wall, on risers, and twice as many parents between me and the risers. This will only happen twice a year, and I decided this year, instead of cranking up the ISO and using my fastest wide angle lens, I'd use the flash and the big lens from way across the room.

This works OK, except for the red-eye syndrome. I'll use the off-shoe cord next time, and it should be fine.

Thanks again for all your input. Happy New Year, too!

Don

---------------

sponsored links

1,525 views & 0 likes for this thread
A bleacher full of kids...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.