Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 26 Dec 2011 (Monday) 10:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

more help

JazmineHeart
28 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 26, 2011 10:18 |  #1

I am trying to figure out how i would have made a better shot of the following: Pls help. Thanks in advance :)

The shadow and the part that's exposed to the sun sort of doesn't make me satisfied with this pic. Should I have not taken this shot? Or is there a technique to show that contrast and still make the pic look nice?

1)

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7033/6556613925_7b0da8c7e5.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lurbybachz/6556​613925/  (external link)
Monte Carlo (external link) by Fireblossom (external link), on Flickr

I really like this pic to pop out with colors coz in the real setting, it's really very pretty. Just that with the editing, i had to tone down the colors a bit given the shot of that mountain that's exposed to the sun comes out too bright a golden yellow color and makes it appear fake...is there anything i can do with this pic (#2) and the next(#3)??
Or was there a better way i should have taken this shot at a better angle or composition?

2)
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7031/6546614005_6fa906d27b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lurbybachz/6546​614005/  (external link)
Zion National Park (external link) by Fireblossom (external link), on Flickr

3)
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

virgin river Utah (external link) by Fireblossom (external link), on Flickr

Canon 7D, 28-135 mm (DSLR Beginner :oops:)
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/lurbybachz/ (external link)
feel free to critique my pics on flickr. I'm open to learning....

sponsored links
frankxsi
118 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 26, 2011 11:35 |  #2

well there is no magic pill to fix bad pictures what i would recommend is concentrate on learning hot to use your camera, learn about composition and exposure exposure there are many books on the subject
about your picture the #3 can be rescue with pretty good results all depending on the way you shoot them
but first concentrate on learning hot to use your camera and basics of photography the more time you spend with your camera the less time you will spend post processing your pictures :)

JazmineHeart
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 26, 2011 12:51 |  #3

frankxsi wrote in post #13600517 (external link)
well there is no magic pill to fix bad pictures what i would recommend is concentrate on learning hot to use your camera, learn about composition and exposure exposure there are many books on the subject
about your picture the #3 can be rescue with pretty good results all depending on the way you shoot them
but first concentrate on learning hot to use your camera and basics of photography the more time you spend with your camera the less time you will spend post processing your pictures :)

Yup, i had been learning a lot about my camera and reading lots on the subject too. Am taking it one day at a time, of course.

It makes also a whole lot of a difference just reading over actual practice and application hence I had been taking lots of pics which some turn out well, others not. I was just thinking IF from experience of others- they can help/share to me so that in the future, i can avoid such shots and how to go about it with a certain technique, maybe. Thanks, anyway :)

Miki ­ G
Goldmember
1,163 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 26, 2011 13:10 |  #4

I don't think your pictures are too bad, but I'd suggest that you look at the following link as the lighting is really letting these down. http://ronbigelow.com/​articles/light/light.h​tm (external link) He also has tutorials on composition etc which are also linked to this article. The great thing about landscapes is you can always re-visit.

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Dec 26, 2011 15:49 as a reply to  @ Miki G's post |  #5

I'd suggest that you look at the following link as the lighting is really letting these down. http://ronbigelow.com/​articles/light/light.h​tm (external link) He also has tutorials on composition etc which are also linked to this article. The great thing about landscapes is you can always re-visit.

Miki's comment is spot on and BTW that is a great link. In addition your scenes have more dynamic range that your camera can capture, witness your blown-out skies with properly exposed darker areas.
You need to check your LCD histogram to insure that you don't have spikes going off the right and left sides.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Bond_Savingsbond
933 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 26, 2011 16:13 |  #6

JazmineHeart wrote in post #13600771 (external link)
Yup, i had been learning a lot about my camera and reading lots on the subject too. Am taking it one day at a time, of course.

It makes also a whole lot of a difference just reading over actual practice and application hence I had taking lots of pics which some turn out well, others not. I was just thinking IF from experience of others- they can help/share to me so that in the future, i can avoid such shots and how to go about it with a certain technique, maybe. Thanks, anyway :)

That's the good thing about Digital. When I first started, for every 1000 pictures that I took, I had at least one to ten decent pictures (no keepers), but as I progressed I started to get more "Keeper" images.

About your very first picture. Always try to take it from different angles as opposed to straight on. Or, try to isolate certain parts of the picture, what I mean by that is that if you can remove everything but the head and hands it would give the picture a different meaning/message. When I see this picture I am think of a tourist quick snap kinda thing. So what I'm saying is don't be afraid to crop, and then step back from the computer screen and look at it again 5-10min later.
But in this case the only way to get rid or minimize the shadows is to have another light source (I could be wrong).

As for the mountain pictures they are very nicely detailed but for that situation you have a few options, you can use an ND filter or you can take one picture that shows the detail in the mountain and take another picture that shows the detail in the sky, then merge them together.

500px (external link)
My website (external link)
CAMTOGRAPHY (external link)
Fuji X-T2, xf35 1.4,xf90mm, Samyang 135 (heavy), Nikon 105(dirty), Vivitar 75-205, Helios 56(Fixed),Pentax 50 F1.9 (dirty)
Sony A7III, 28-70kit(nice lens), Sony20 1.8

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,399 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Dec 28, 2011 10:26 |  #7

All three have dynamic range problems. The range of light to dark far exceeds your camera's ability to represent them. This is one reason why an HDR approach to the canyon shots would be good.

An important consideration that you should make yourself aware of is time of day. The angle of the sun might render your canyon scenes more compelling at different times of the day. And the statue would not have that harsh shadow cutting it in half in either the early morning or late afternoon.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Dec 28, 2011 13:05 |  #8

First shot really needed some fill flash. The second two are fairly simple fixes in post.....select the sky areas, then choose select inverse. Process the land as normal...then select inverse and repair the sky....most photo editors have decent sky repair tools.....or you can apply an external filter like those found in an editing add on like NIK Color Efex.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

JazmineHeart
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 02, 2012 05:50 |  #9

Miki G wrote in post #13600835 (external link)
I don't think your pictures are too bad, but I'd suggest that you look at the following link as the lighting is really letting these down. http://ronbigelow.com/​articles/light/light.h​tm (external link) He also has tutorials on composition etc which are also linked to this article. The great thing about landscapes is you can always re-visit.

I've checked the site via your recommendation. Lots of good info. thanks

chauncey wrote in post #13601375 (external link)
Miki's comment is spot on and BTW that is a great link. In addition your scenes have more dynamic range that your camera can capture, witness your blown-out skies with properly exposed darker areas.
You need to check your LCD histogram to insure that you don't have spikes going off the right and left sides.

That's truly my struggle at that point due to the contrasting lights from all angles. From the bridge where i was taking the shot, it was a bit dark as in like the colors of the foreground and sides....but farther away at the mountains and the sky, the sun was still bright--- over exposing those specific areas you've mentioned hence my Qn as to how to go about making that shot( angling maybe) or a technique with such contrast on lights in one shot. I will also keep in mind checking my histogram....i always forget that. Thanks.

Bond_Savingsbond wrote in post #13601446 (external link)
That's the good thing about Digital. When I first started, for every 1000 pictures that I took, I had at least one to ten decent pictures (no keepers), but as I progressed I started to get more "Keeper" images.

About your very first picture. Always try to take it from different angles as opposed to straight on. Or, try to isolate certain parts of the picture, what I mean by that is that if you can remove everything but the head and hands it would give the picture a different meaning/message. When I see this picture I am think of a tourist quick snap kinda thing. So what I'm saying is don't be afraid to crop, and then step back from the computer screen and look at it again 5-10min later.
But in this case the only way to get rid or minimize the shadows is to have another light source (I could be wrong).

As for the mountain pictures they are very nicely detailed but for that situation you have a few options, you can use an ND filter or you can take one picture that shows the detail in the mountain and take another picture that shows the detail in the sky, then merge them together.

That's a good idea about the different angle you mentioned for my first pic. I actually did have some shots like that but were not keepers...am still learning on composition.

2nd pic: I will try on that ND filter. I have it on my list to buy next. Thanks :)

JazmineHeart
THREAD ­ STARTER
28 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 02, 2012 06:00 |  #10

joedlh wrote in post #13609782 (external link)
All three have dynamic range problems. The range of light to dark far exceeds your camera's ability to represent them. This is one reason why an HDR approach to the canyon shots would be good.

An important consideration that you should make yourself aware of is time of day. The angle of the sun might render your canyon scenes more compelling at different times of the day. And the statue would not have that harsh shadow cutting it in half in either the early morning or late afternoon.

Besides the camera's limitation, it could be lens too eh? I only have that 28-135 mm lens atm. Any lens recommendation for such shots? thanks.

I'll take those time of the day considerations too next time I'll go back to Vegas and Utah for a vacation again :p

Woolburr wrote in post #13610530 (external link)
First shot really needed some fill flash. The second two are fairly simple fixes in post.....select the sky areas, then choose select inverse. Process the land as normal...then select inverse and repair the sky....most photo editors have decent sky repair tools.....or you can apply an external filter like those found in an editing add on like NIK Color Efex.

what does fill flash mean?

I've downloaded the trial version for Nik Color Efex. Wow, it's an amazing editing tool. Just gotta learn now how to go about editing that mountain shot. Thanks a lot.

argyle
Cream of the Crop
8,187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 02, 2012 07:12 |  #11

JazmineHeart wrote in post #13632920 (external link)
I've downloaded the trial version for Nik Color Efex. Wow, it's an amazing editing tool. Just gotta learn now how to go about editing that mountain shot. Thanks a lot.

Since you're a beginner, my advice would be to learn the basics of composition and exposure BEFORE dropping any money on editing software. I've said this a million times...a shot that has been properly composed and exposed should require very little editing. No amount of software will turn a crappy picture into a work of art. Keep shooting, keep practicing...as someone said previously, there's no magic pill.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Jan 02, 2012 07:45 |  #12

As was just mentioned....getting it right in camera makes editing much simpler. Get a copy of "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

Fill flash= http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Fill_flash (external link)

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

sponsored links

1,831 views & 0 likes for this thread
more help
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.