Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 19 Dec 2011 (Monday) 11:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My wedding photographer... OMG :-( !

MakisM1
Cream of the Crop
5,654 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 24, 2011 08:28 |  #106

Replaces wrote in post #13593120 (external link)
those are absolutely stunning with a "sub-par" equipment. bw!

If you call the Nikon D700 'sub par equipment'...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Gerry
Canon 5D MkIII/Canon 60D/Canon EF-S 18-200/Canon EF 24-70L USM II/Canon EF 70-200L 2.8 USM II/Canon EF 50 f1.8 II/Σ 8-16/ 430 EXII
OS: Linux Ubuntu/PostProcessing: Darktable/Image Processing: GIMP

sponsored links
cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 24, 2011 08:49 |  #107

Tareq wrote in post #13574699 (external link)
If you pay me about 400-500 pound then i will shoot with my 350D or 30D and kit lens or 50 1.8 or 10-22 or Sigma 12-24, if you pay me 1000 pound then i will use my 5D classic or 1D2n and 24-105L or 16-35L or 50 1.4, if you pay me 1500 pound then i will use 1DsIII and 1D3 with 24-70L and 70-200 f2.8 and 135L, if you willing to pay even little more then in addition to the last gear i will include my H4D-60 there, according to the price you pay i will use the gear and the level of photos, the more you pay, the better you get.

I'd pay for the 30D kit. Here's why, though--The quality of the photography is not linear to your equipment. While I have not seen your work, I'll bet that your 1D work is NOT 300% better than your 30D work. A photographer with an eye for composition can make a pinhole camera produce masterpieces. A hack like me can't reliably get a snapshot out of a 1D3 and lenses with little red lines on them.

I know a photographer who has an amazing ability to compose interesting pictures. He finds colors and patterns everywhere that captivate me. However, the IQ and focus just don't cut it. He's a super artist, but he doesn't have the techniques of using his tools as well as his eyes.

Thread applicability: He has shot weddings full of creative poses and perspectives, but the IQ looks like my low light Instamatic 110 film shots from 40 years ago.

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 24, 2011 12:12 |  #108
bannedPermanent ban

MakisM1 wrote in post #13593608 (external link)
If you call the Nikon D700 'sub par equipment'...
IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/html'

Of course it is, it only has 12mp's! :mrgreen:

Wedding photography (external link)

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,921 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 24, 2011 13:41 |  #109

cpam.pix wrote in post #13593669 (external link)
I'd pay for the 30D kit. Here's why, though--The quality of the photography is not linear to your equipment. While I have not seen your work, I'll bet that your 1D work is NOT 300% better than your 30D work. A photographer with an eye for composition can make a pinhole camera produce masterpieces. A hack like me can't reliably get a snapshot out of a 1D3 and lenses with little red lines on them.

I know a photographer who has an amazing ability to compose interesting pictures. He finds colors and patterns everywhere that captivate me. However, the IQ and focus just don't cut it. He's a super artist, but he doesn't have the techniques of using his tools as well as his eyes.

Thread applicability: He has shot weddings full of creative poses and perspectives, but the IQ looks like my low light Instamatic 110 film shots from 40 years ago.

Then i will use 30D with lens cap on, hehehehe

Well, i know the equipment doesn't matter, but there are people thinking about gear as quality more than artistic way, like i want clean clear photos, when i shoot with 350D and H4D and show him/her, WOW, this H4D shots are unbeatable, ok, you pay me $300 so you will not get it, i will give my my best shots of 350D, you can print 4x8 up to 16x20 so decent.

Well, i was joking about the prices according the gear, but my point was that if i use my best gear and doing my top best artistic high quality, i will do that for low price one or two times only, then i will automatically reject any low prices without taking the contract, i did accept once or twice low price just to make people looking at my work and know what i can do, but if the prices they pay is low then i am sorry, i should look for those rich or well-budget couples who have bucks to pay well, even with low price i will work my best and don't think because i will use my cheap least gear means i will do nothing, who knows, i may get better results than high end expensive complicated gear, H4D is not great at high ISO and not focusing quickly, so even 30D will beat it in this class, but if the clarity at low ISO and the DR and color rendition of MF is something else that will make me to keep those for people who willing to pay more to get top best of the best, even with P&S i will do proper exposure and good composition.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Nick_Reading.UK
THREAD ­ STARTER
836 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 24, 2011 15:30 as a reply to  @ Tareq's post |  #110

The misses and i went back to the same place we got married last week here in Brazil (yeah, i'm still ere!! LOL )
Anyway, we went to a 15year olds birthday (Apparently its like an 18th B-day in the UK) and the pro photog with a Nikon FF was taking pics and we were collaborating quite abit even though he didn't speak English (Some people !! ;-)a ) Anyway, after some heavy translation from the misses, he had been in the business for 40 years, but viewing his shots on his display he wasn't using DOF on portraits AT ALL. maybe I am missing something here?
If i remember correctly he was using something like a 18-105mm with 3.5-5.6
But you should have seen his face when i got my 50mm 1.8 mk1 out when he was viewing my display... :cool:
also, i was using extended off camera flash and he was using popup flash.
------
I have a flash cable and i do find holding the flash above my head while taking pics, very useful for NO shadows on people shots. Anyone else do this or any better tips on this?

EOS 5Dmk3 X2, 60D, EF24-70mm f2.8L mk2, EF70-200mm f2.8L IS mk2, EF85mm f1.8, EF50mm f1.4, EF50mm f1.8 mk1(350D with 18-55mm Sh"kit" lens).
Speedlite 600EX-RT, 430EX II Flash. manfrotto 190XDB tripod, Giottos GTMML 3290B Monopod, B+W 77mm 110 Single Coated filter, Hama 77mm Variable Neutral Density Filter.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 24, 2011 17:39 |  #111
bannedPermanent ban

j-dogg wrote in post #13588747 (external link)
Don't feel too bad. I offered to shoot my brother-in-law's wedding for 1000 US dollars. His bride, as usual cutting corners in the cost department, found a girl to do it for 300. 2 days before the wedding AFTER the contract was signed she upped her price to 500.

Sure enough, the wedding day came and went. I wasn't there, but I should have been, because her Rebel + kit lens and onboard flash took about 400 photos of NOTHING. Someone forgot to put a memory card in their camera. She has ZERO wedding pictures. I didn't care about gear, some of my best work is on my Rebel and a Tamron superzoom. But I remembered my memory card for those shots.

My brother's wedding photographer used an 18-105 and a d7000, but DIRECT FLASH. I was there with a 35mm Elan 7e and 50 1.8 and got better lighting on Neopan 1600. I wanted to grab a napkin and a rubber band and put it on his flash when he wasn't looking. Argh.

Now the crew who did my cousins wedding were awesome. 5DII and 85L, 100L macro, and their work looked fantastic. They're hired if I ever get married.

It has to be more than just forgot to put memory card in the body. She didn't bring ANY memory card with her. You would realize you didn't have a memory card when you can only record and review/chimp one photo at a time!!!!

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Dec 24, 2011 17:47 |  #112
bannedPermanent ban

Dr.D wrote in post #13590517 (external link)
Not sure you should worry. This is my friend's site and I think he does a awesome job. When I went out shooting with him the first time I thought he was joking when he pulled out his XTI with a 18-55. I asked him what other lenses he had and he didn't have any. I held his camera for a min. while he climbed over something and noticed a ton of dust on the lens. I suggested he cleaned it and he told me he should wear glasses since he couldn't see the dust, WTF! I personally think he does some awesome work with what he has.
http://www.veniality.c​om/ (external link)

Well, your friend isn't shooting weddings with his XTI and kit lens. Looks like he is more into artistic photography. Some of his shots he applied some glow into them. That tends to soften the look. Couple of them have blown out highlights. I wish his samples are bigger.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

sharkwave
Hatchling
6 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Dec 25, 2011 11:17 |  #113

Tareq wrote in post #13574699 (external link)
If you pay me about 400-500 pound then i will shoot with my 350D or 30D and kit lens or 50 1.8 or 10-22 or Sigma 12-24, if you pay me 1000 pound then i will use my 5D classic or 1D2n and 24-105L or 16-35L or 50 1.4, if you pay me 1500 pound then i will use 1DsIII and 1D3 with 24-70L and 70-200 f2.8 and 135L, if you willing to pay even little more then in addition to the last gear i will include my H4D-60 there, according to the price you pay i will use the gear and the level of photos, the more you pay, the better you get.

Seriously?

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,921 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 25, 2011 11:54 |  #114

sharkwave wrote in post #13597090 (external link)
Seriously?

No, not really

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

*mafia*hitman
45 posts
Joined May 2010

Dec 25, 2011 14:32 |  #115

Sounds like you got hit by a "Fauxtographer"

Canon 7D Gripped Canon 5D Mk II Gripped 70-200 f4 L 85mm f1.2 L Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L 70-200 f2.8L IS II 60mm f2.8 50mm f1.4 28-135mm f4-5.6 Lensbaby Composer single/double glass optic swap 580 EX II flash Bogen tripod with Manfrotto pistol grip ball head
Alien Bees Einsteins With remote commander trigger

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 25, 2011 19:23 |  #116

RhysPhotograph.Me wrote in post #13591924 (external link)
I don't know what you've been told, but size matters baby!

A few from my first wedding...

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I'm going to be quite surprised if the Op's wedding photo's don't suck tbh, although the Op is at fault tbh for not being more involved in the selection process.

Yes you can shoot a wedding with the below camera like the Op's wedding tog... and produce some nice images even, but your swimming upstream. A master tradesman picks the best tool for the job, rather than just makes do with the tool he happens to have in his hand.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Could not tell whether is was crop or full frame until I read the EXIF data.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

form
"inadequately equipped"
4,929 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Dec 26, 2011 02:17 |  #117

If you don't care about the quality of the wedding photos, none of the photogs behavior should matter. If you didn't participate in making the decision or doing any research, then you basically let everything go as if you didn't care. Shame on you for not doing more to try to get better photography - you have nobody to blame for your blasé approach and end results except yourself for being lazy.

I have absolutely 0 sympathy for anyone who does no research before choosing a vendor (suggesting indifference about quality) and then complains about quality issues related to the vendor. You had a chance to avoid problems.

Don't be passive about a decision and then claim to care about the result. It's like voting.

Las Vegas Wedding Photographer: http://www.joeyallenph​oto.com (external link)

imjustdave
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 26, 2011 07:28 |  #118

When I got married, I was really poor and well our photos came out of 1 35 MM roll of film, that was handed to us by the photagrapher, I had to develop them myself, I have to say I did get some half way decent prints.

CyberPet
Hiding Under a Rock
4,052 posts
Joined May 2005

Dec 26, 2011 12:03 |  #119

Congratulations on your marriage.

I do have a little question though. I thought photography was a language you didn't need words for. So you could been involved in the process of picking a photographer by looking at their work, before deciding on who to hire. No need to know Portuguese for that. When you had found a photographer who's work you liked, the rest could have been handled by your now wife, like booking, etc.

So, my question is... were you really not interested at all in your wedding? ;)

/Petra Hall
Click here to view my geeky gear list
I shoot as much as possible in available light... sometimes, my flash is available – Joe Buissink

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,084 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 26, 2011 12:42 |  #120

CyberPet wrote in post #13600616 (external link)
Congratulations on your marriage.

I do have a little question though. I thought photography was a language you didn't need words for. So you could been involved in the process of picking a photographer by looking at their work, before deciding on who to hire. No need to know Portuguese for that. When you had found a photographer who's work you liked, the rest could have been handled by your now wife, like booking, etc.

So, my question is... were you really not interested at all in your wedding? ;)

Give him a few years to truthfully answering this question. Lol. Jk

Hopefully everything turns out for the best. Good news is your going in with ver low expectations which might be a blessing.

Please keep us updated and all the best to you and the misses.

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

sponsored links

84,560 views & 1 like for this thread
My wedding photographer... OMG :-( !
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.