Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Dec 2011 (Monday) 12:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Finally going to learn lighting. New some pointers.

Buylongterm
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 26, 2011 12:18 |  #1

I'm finally going to take the plunge and learn lighting. I've put it off for months. It is very overwhelming and intimidating. :-)

In order to give me a push, my brother was kind enough to buy me a cheap lightbox kit for Christmas. (see link) I know it's cheap, but I believe to achieve ones goal or greatness, you gotta start at the bottom and work your way up. Besides, if he didn't buy it for me, I'd probably keep putting it off.

Light box kit (external link)

I also have the following gear

Tripod
Flash: 580 EX II
Yongnuo triggers.

I've taken a few picks, (which I'll post up). Some are ok, others are completely blown out.
I'm mainly going to take pictures of lenses, old cameras, macro work, etc

If anyone has some advice or pointers,(perhaps a few rule of thumbs when using a litebox) I'd really appreciate it. If there is a beginner book, I'll be happy to start ther

Some newbie questions I do have are

1. Can I or should I, be implementing my 580 EX flash on or off the camera? If so, where do I position it?

2. Cheap kit lights. How far away should they be from the tent?

3. Is there a rule of thumb what apeture I should be using, or does it really depend on what the subject is? I've seen a few videos on YouTube where guys have said the like to use F/4.

4. General lighting. I placed the lite box on top of a dining room table which has hanging lights above it. Should I turn them completely off?

5. White balance. Should I leave it on auto or should I set it up to custom? I have a cheap white balance cap that I also received for Christmas.

6. Mertering & AF modes?

What I did quickly learn was how the environment plays a HUGE role when using a light box. We had a red table cloth on the table and when using a black background to shoot an old Kodak camera, I actually saw how the table cloth effected the outcome of the picture.

Im also happy to purchase lightening or equipment that can help me along in my journey. (I just don't have much room to work with).

Thanks in advance. Not sure what I'd do without this site.

Happy holidays,

Christian

Christian
flickr (external link)
@WerthLiving (Follow me on Instagram)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,426 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 26, 2011 13:03 |  #2

some of the questions Aren't lighting related and someone using 7d with nice glass like you list should already know IMHO.

Now I don't like those cheaply tent and lights. Why not get $50 softbox for your flash and put it off camera. Indoors probably you can even use the flash controller in your 7d to trigger the off camera flash.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

wizard13
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Dec 26, 2011 13:10 |  #3

The questions you are asking have alot to do with personal preference of what is being shot. So there really is no answer to them.

I agree with bobbyz that a softbox for your 580 would probably get you a bit more versatility and pick up a black / white sheet for a backdrop.

Search around the forum for various lighting threads. There is a ton of information on these forums about all things related to lighting. Start reading and you will answer your own questions.

Photography = a constant learning process
Website (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Gear/Feedback

Albert ­ Nam
393 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 26, 2011 13:11 |  #4

I'd thank your brother for being so thoughtful then trash the kit. ;)

This is a good place to start: Strobist - Lighting 101 (external link). It's a lot of information to digest, but take it in steps and make sure you understand it, and it'll be immensely helpful.

Gear
flickr (external link)

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 26, 2011 13:44 |  #5

Very Good Info here for you....

http://strobist.blogsp​ot.com/ (external link)

Buylongterm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 26, 2011 15:43 |  #6

I will begin reading! thank you guys so much. I did take a bunch of shots with off camera flash. My girl is dragging me off to lunch, so I will download pics when I get back.

Christian
flickr (external link)
Canon EOS 5D MK III Gripped | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS MK II |100mm f/2.8L Macro | 24mm-105mm f/4.0L |

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 26, 2011 15:48 |  #7

Other good read are "understanding flash photography" by Bryan Peterson (same person who wrote understanding exposure) and Neilvn.com (he has two books out on flash as well. One for on camera one for off camera)

Buylongterm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 26, 2011 22:14 |  #8

gremlin75 wrote in post #13601371 (external link)
Other good read are "understanding flash photography" by Bryan Peterson (same person who wrote understanding exposure) and Neilvn.com (he has two books out on flash as well. One for on camera one for off camera)

Bryan Peterson is fantastic. I thought I read somewhere that the book is outdated when it comes to the newest features found in flash???.

Christian
flickr (external link)

gremlin75
Goldmember
2,727 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 27, 2011 00:14 |  #9

Buylongterm wrote in post #13602824 (external link)
Bryan Peterson is fantastic. I thought I read somewhere that the book is outdated when it comes to the newest features found in flash???.

The book just got released this year and he uses the Nikon SB900 flash (think 580ex II but for Nikon). Only thing I don't like is his constant talk of the distance scale on the flash as I use Yongnuo flashes and they don't have the feature :( LOL

Buylongterm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 27, 2011 22:48 |  #10

Heres a few pics. I took a ton, but I am quickly finding out that just using the 580 EX II remotely, does a lot better job than the lights that came with the kit.

The compositions aren't the greatest. Wasn't expecting to keep any of them, so I shot Jpg's, but they actually came out better than I expected. I did some touch up with lightroom. (Which I have no clue how to use)

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7159/6586395055_574c11d10b_z.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7174/6586427775_dafd518922_z.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7148/6586426905_203753ec83_z.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7163/6584674901_9b3c4cd580_z.jpg

Christian
flickr (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,828 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 28, 2011 22:54 |  #11

4. General lighting. I placed the lite box on top of a dining room table which has hanging lights above it. Should I turn them completely off?

If you have 50 similar things to shoot, a light box is a handy thing to have. If only 1 or two, you'll get more control if you look at the knife & Browning threads here: FAQ - Studio Lighting

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Buylongterm
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,080 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Dec 29, 2011 01:47 |  #12

^^
photoguy,

Thank you for the advice. I'll take a look ASAP.

Christian

Christian
flickr (external link)

sponsored links

1,892 views & 0 likes for this thread
Finally going to learn lighting. New some pointers.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.