Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 25 Dec 2011 (Sunday) 21:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Setting white Balance on the court?

C_Heath31
409 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 25, 2011 21:22 |  #1

Do u guys walk out, hand your grey to a player on the court and snap a shot? I just started shooting M with a 7D and is what Ive been told they do. Thanks!

Canon 7D, 1DmkIII, canon 1.8 prime, 70-200 2.8L

sponsored links
cecilc
598 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Dec 26, 2011 07:31 |  #2

Take a read of this thread from many years ago over at Sportsshooter.com:
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com …ge_display.html​?tid=20873 (external link)

Guy Rhodes gives you the skinny on shooting under stadium/gym lights and trying to get a satisfactory/correct white balance in those situations ....

The truth of the matter is that you CANNOT get an accurate white balance setting for EVERY shot while shooting under stadium/gym lights if you don't strobe the venue. The lights cycle, and if you don't negate that cycling with strobes, then the cycling lights will give you a different color balance for almost every frame.

Cecil
SportsShooter Portfolio (external link)

C_Heath31
THREAD ­ STARTER
409 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 26, 2011 08:57 |  #3

Thx!

Canon 7D, 1DmkIII, canon 1.8 prime, 70-200 2.8L

Big ­ K
Goldmember
2,021 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Dec 26, 2011 18:43 |  #4

C_Heath31 wrote in post #13598586 (external link)
Do u guys walk out, hand your grey to a player on the court and snap a shot? I just started shooting M with a 7D and is what Ive been told they do. Thanks!

I typically just go stand near an area where I plan to focus and hold the card myself out in front of the lens. Angle it about 45 degrees so it is getting even light and set it from there.

I generally won't bother a player but might grab a kid from the front row to have go hold it. Most of the time they think its cool to be on the floor and are eager to help.

As mentioned, it will never be perfect for all shots anyway but at least it gets you in the vicinity and you won't have as many shots to dramatically correct in post.

Name: Kevin
Follow my daily work at www.ks-images.com (external link) and feel free to C&C anything I post.
Gear List
More money than skill - but I'm working on it

firefighter4u
Goldmember
1,160 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 27, 2011 09:06 as a reply to  @ Big K's post |  #5

i normally go place my card on the floor near where I am going to shoot. Isn't perfect because of the mentioned light cycles, but I'm getting much more acceptable shots.

R6; 6D; 7D; 450D; Canon 85 1.4L; 50 1.4; 70-200 2.8L II; Tamron 17-50 2.8; Tamron 18-270 VC; Genesis 200; 430EX; YN 560II

mrwilt
474 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 27, 2011 11:26 |  #6

What's worked for me so far is to go to where I'm going to be sitting and then take a picture of my white sock I'm wearing. I read about it from someone on this forum and figured I'd give it a try.

Canon EOS 1D MKIII | Canon EOS Rebel T1i Gripped | EF 50mm f/1.8 II | Ʃ 70-200mm f/2.8 II APO EX DG Macro
smugmug (external link)
facebook (external link)

arich
401 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 29, 2011 20:44 |  #7

I set a custom kelvin balance

http://andrew-richardson.net (external link)

Rocketdun
295 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 01, 2012 10:42 |  #8

The majority of my shooting is done on AWB. The venues I shoot at or in are poorly lit, and I try to resolve the color balance with Lightroom or PS5. I am shooting basketball now and the color at one end of the floor is 180 degrees different than the other end of the floor. I use two camera bodies, and set one with a 70-200 mm lens for the far end of the floor. I take the other camera with a a 18-55 lens, yes I know kit lens, but I have it on a Sony A55, the frame rate is 10 FPS, so I get a great many photos to choose from when edit time comes.
I also have used the dome cover from a Gary Fong white cloud to set custom white balance
I also have used an Expo Disc white balance filter a hint here is that it works well if you buy one purchase the size for the largest lens you shoot with, so if you own a 70-200 lens purchase the Expo Disc filter for that lens size and if you use it on a smaller lens thou can hold it against that lens and hold the edges.

A great photo only starts with the shutter release,
1DS Mark ii,7D , 40D, 24 mm 2.8, 50mm 1.8, 50 mm 1.4, 28-138, 18-200, 70-200 2.8, 100-400 4.5-5.6 , 580 EXII,
My stuff: http://deseventphotos.​zenfolio.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,748 views & 0 likes for this thread
Setting white Balance on the court?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.