Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Dec 2011 (Monday) 18:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

CR2 not the right file type?

ashvdub74
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 26, 2011 18:55 |  #1

I just purchased a Canon EOS 7D. I filled 2 Sandisk 4GB CF cards and went to download them. I tried opening them on 2 separate computers and got the same message in both Photoshop CS2 and CS4: Cannot open this file because it is not the right file type. It is a CR2 file so I'm confused as to why it wont open.
I received a disk with my camera for installation of the following: EOS disk utility, Picture Editor and Digital Photo Professional. I installed all the programs and now can only open my images with those editing software. Even in those programs I can edit the images, but i cannot save them in any file type that I could also open them in Photoshop; it will only let me save in PSF files.
Any suggestions?

sponsored links
CamFan01
Goldmember
4,623 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 26, 2011 18:59 |  #2

Update your RAW converter file from Adobe. Your computers are not recognizing because the camera and RAW files are newer than your software.
Go here if running windows - http://www.adobe.com …duct=106&platfo​rm=Windows (external link)

Steve
1DMk4, 5DMk3, D4s, D800
300 f2.8L IS II, 400 f2.8G ED VR, 500 f4L IS, 600 f4L IS II, 600 f4G ED VR....and a few others.

www.pixallphoto.com (external link)

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 26, 2011 19:00 |  #3

CS2 does not support your 7D. I believe CS4 does but you might have to update your ACR TAW converter. In PS, look under "Help" and click on check for updates.

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 26, 2011 19:01 |  #4

CamFan01 beat me to it:-)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 26, 2011 20:12 |  #5

I'm not sure if CS4 supports the 7D Raw files or not, but as was said, it's easy to check for an update -- start Bridge and go to Help/Updates and the utility will check for you.

A couple of brief points:

First, you are mistaken about Digital Photo Professional (DPP) -- it has two ways of producing a "Photoshop-friendly" image. After you are done with whatever processing you want to use DPP for, you can use the Tools/Transfer to Photoshop function and it will open the image in Photoshop as a "tiff" although a file won't be saved unless and until you Save it in Photoshop.

Or, you can use the DPP File/Convert and Save function and DPP will give you a few choices for jpeg and or tiff file type.

What you need to understand about DPP is that it was designed to process/develop Raw files, and as such does not "write over" your Raw images, so that doing a "Save" does not work the way it does with normal image editors. The way of getting images converted into usable image files is either through Convert and Save, Batch processing, or Transfer to Photoshop.

One other method of bringing a Raw image into CS4 is to use the Adobe DNG converter and convert your Raw CR2 files to DNG (digital negative) files. The DNG format was designed by Adobe to be a "universal" Raw file format. There are only a few Raw apps out there that support the DNG format (DPP does not, for example) but the Adobe Camera Raw plugins as well as Lightroom will support it.

So, if the CR4 ACR update doesn't work with your 7D files (and it certainly won't work with the newest cameras) what you will want to do is find the Adobe DNG converter for your CS4 version of Camera Raw -- I believe it's 5.x. So you will convert to a file that is CS4/ACR5.x-compatible.

Know, though, that a 5.x-compatible will not work with your CS2 ACR...

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,932 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 26, 2011 21:05 as a reply to  @ tonylong's post |  #6

CS2 can not handle the 7D RAW files, but CS4 can as long as you update ACR to 5.7. click for PC (external link) or click for Mac (external link). Also, you can do as Tony suggested - Bridge/Help/Updates.

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

ashvdub74
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 27, 2011 14:01 as a reply to  @ 5Dmaniac's post |  #7

Success! Thank you!

sponsored links

1,645 views & 0 likes for this thread
CR2 not the right file type?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.