Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 25 Dec 2011 (Sunday) 23:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best tablet for editing in CS5?

avimagery
421 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 25, 2011 23:15 |  #1

I received an amazon.com gift card for christmas and am thinking of getting a tablet for editing my pictures. I've never used one before and would like some input on what you all think is a good way to go; what features I should look for, etc. I've been told by a friend that I should look at Wacom tablets, but I don't know why they arebetterthan something else. Any input would be appreciated.

Andrew-Vincent Imagery
www.andrew-vincent.com (external link)
IG: avimagery
Canon 7D Mk ii & 60D, EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Tamron AF70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF), AlienBee B1600, Misc other gear

sponsored links
the_weird_one
169 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 26, 2011 02:50 |  #2

People recommend Wacom tablets as they are the industry standard, and the cheaper none Wacoms can leave you frustrated and wondering why people rave about using them for photo or drawing work, as their positioning and pressure sensitivity are not as good.

However if you've never used a tablet before I'd recommend one of the Bamboo range http://www.amazon.com …TF8&qid=1324888​991&sr=8-2 (external link) to see if you can even get on with them, there is a fair learning curve to using a tablet as they feel very different to using a mouse.

If you feel like going right into the deep end though the Intuo4 Medium http://www.amazon.com …TF8&qid=1324889​307&sr=1-1 (external link) is the tablet to have, the programmable buttons and speed ring have basically stopped my need to use a keyboard in Photoshop

| Canon EOS 7D + Battery Grip | Canon Speedlite 430EX II | Canon 24-105 f4L IS USM | Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f1.8 | Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM | Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX DG OS | Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 Di VC USD |
My Flickr (external link)

hihohito
225 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 26, 2011 07:07 |  #3

Get your self a wacom intuos. They are awsome.

Heath
Goldmember
2,332 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 26, 2011 08:21 |  #4

I just watched this video and then bought the Intuous 4 Small.
http://phlearn.com …ly-better-at-editing-pt-1 (external link)

Heath
"Some photographers push the envelope. Some sit behind a keyboard and criticize their accomplishments." (seen in the comments of a photo article)
Blog (external link)-Twitter (external link)-Zenfolio (external link)-500px (external link)-Pinterest (external link)-Gear List

Beau ­ Hudspeth
-Cool Title-
2,837 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 27, 2011 00:58 |  #5

hihohito wrote in post #13599754 (external link)
Get your self a wacom intuos. They are awsome.

Agreed. They are truly awesome.

Photoshop Action SetMy Flickr (external link)

mtuepker
228 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 27, 2011 16:20 |  #6

Just opened up my intuos4 small, so far Im a fan. Quite the learning curve. I saw a video that mentioned this, and I would totally agree...save the money and just buy a small. The tablet area represents your screen in size, so if you're at full 1080 and using something bigger than the small, you're going to have to make a HUGE stroke to go across the screen.

Camera, lens, lens, lens lens, lens, flash.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Dec 28, 2011 05:53 |  #7

Don't agree. I have an a6 Graphire and an A5wide intuos4.
I much refer the larger one (since I run dual screen)

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=13322200

Then again, I also use an Intuos A3+, and that is too big to comfortably reach the keyboard IMO.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

mtuepker
228 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 28, 2011 07:13 |  #8

René Damkot wrote in post #13608870 (external link)
Don't agree. I have an a6 Graphire and an A5wide intuos4.
I much refer the larger one (since I run dual screen)

https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=13322200

Then again, I also use an Intuos A3+, and that is too big to comfortably reach the keyboard IMO.

It probably comes down to personal preference. Im using dual screen as well, and really love the small size. If you do not have friends that a tablet, best bet would be find some place w/ a generous return policy and find out what works best for you (advice to the original poster).

Camera, lens, lens, lens lens, lens, flash.

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 28, 2011 13:28 as a reply to  @ mtuepker's post |  #9

I have a Bamboo and an Intuos4 medium size. I use the Bamboo to travel with but prefer working on the Intuos4. If you have never used a tablet then learning on either of them will take some time but it is well worth the effort. I know when I first used a tablet I thought it was way too time consuming and now I wouldn't be without one. Whether it is a large surface or a small surface, whatever you learn on will be the one you know and are comfortable with. As noted above you could get one where you could return it if you aren't happy so that you can get a different size.

Wacom is the industry standard for tablets and work incredibly well with Adobe products.

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery (external link) | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

avimagery
THREAD ­ STARTER
421 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 29, 2011 02:15 |  #10

Thanks for all the input. Since I'm just going for "trying out to see if I like it" I bought the Bamboo. I figure it's a good entry point. I should have it in a couple of days, and hopefully it clicks with me.

Thanks again.

Andrew-Vincent Imagery
www.andrew-vincent.com (external link)
IG: avimagery
Canon 7D Mk ii & 60D, EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Tamron AF70-200mm f/2.8 Di LD (IF), AlienBee B1600, Misc other gear

Seamus69
788 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 29, 2011 08:36 |  #11

I have one. You will like it.

Canon 60D, 5Diii, 24-105, 24-70ii, 70-200 f2.8 ii is, 580ex, (2)430ex

sponsored links

3,945 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best tablet for editing in CS5?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.