Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 24 Dec 2011 (Saturday) 21:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A question for the ladies, regarding saftey while shooting

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Dec 27, 2011 06:34 |  #31

Absolutely Fabulous wrote in post #13595767 (external link)
See over here they.....

Where is "over here"? You don't your location shown in your personal info (seen at the left of posts) so we don't have any idea.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links
MesserschmittMan
358 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 27, 2011 11:35 |  #32

quiksquirrel wrote in post #13603911 (external link)
I would NEVER risk my life over something as irrelevant as a camera. If you would, your life must be worth very little.

Well look if I had 6 ganstas towering over me I wouldn't try & be a hero, if it was a somewhat level playing field I wouldn't hand my gear over without a struggle is all I'm saying.

Canon 7D | Canon 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 70-200mm f4 IS L

Miki ­ G
Goldmember
1,123 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 27, 2011 12:22 |  #33

I'd totally be against carrying guns as a defense, mainly because, assuming the other guys are also armed, they will be much more likely to use them if they are threatened & probably wouldn't even care about killing you. If you are not willing to use it, don't carry it. I would much prefer to be able to report a robbery than to have a police officer calling to my home to say I won't be coming home.

tonyniev
Cream of the Crop
11,453 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 27, 2011 13:40 |  #34

Miki G wrote in post #13605191 (external link)
I'd totally be against carrying guns as a defense, mainly because, assuming the other guys are also armed, they will be much more likely to use them if they are threatened & probably wouldn't even care about killing you. If you are not willing to use it, don't carry it. I would much prefer to be able to report a robbery than to have a police officer calling to my home to say I won't be coming home.

I do not want to hijack the thread, but you guys in the UK, Canada and Australia gave up your rights to carry a pistol for self defense, sorry your opinions on carrying a gun is worthless, you cannot....we have the 2nd amendment rights here in the USA, we carry because we can, Nevada is a must issue state for the Concealed carry permit.

As I stated before you give up the equipment , but use the gun only to protect your life. (although in many states the castle doctrine protects the gun owner use to protect his home)

Cheers,
Tony
Leica M10 & M3
Sony A7R & A6000
Canon 5D2 & 7D

Atsumi
594 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 27, 2011 14:18 as a reply to  @ SkipD's post |  #35

I'm similar to the OP (see avatar image) and I think I'd hand over my gear before trying to fight for it. I've downplayed the cost of my gear before, and generally avoid shooting alone.

I've also thought getting a concealed weapons permit, but I would only whip that out in a life threatening situation; not if someone wanted my camera.

-Tiffany
Canon 5D Mark II / Rebel XT / 18-55mm / 24-105mm f4 L IS/ 50mm f1.8 / 70-200mm f4 L / 85mm f/1.2 L II /100mm f2.8 macro / 430EX II
[[Flickr (external link)]] [[Twitter (external link)]]

DinosaurioAllie
525 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 27, 2011 22:39 |  #36

I'm a young photographer, and whenever I get asked I simply say it's professional grade equipment and if they ask how much, I just tell them I'm not at liberty to discuss the value of my camera, whether I'm carrying my 7D or my Rebel.

Canon 7D | Canon 100mm f/2.8 | Canon 40mm f/2.8 | Mamiya RB67 | Mamiya Sekor 90mm f/3.8 | http://www.flickr.com/​mosbeckphotography (external link)
"There's a common misconception that all photographers want to photograph famous people, to be a paparazzi. To me that's like selling my soul. My photographs give thanks to people who have helped me out. Thats not selling my soul, that's gaining it." -Bob Campagna

2mnycars
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 13, 2012 15:56 |  #37

Old post...when asked I've said, bought it used, or pawn shop. Didn't pay much.

Years ago, building super robbed other tenants. Think he thought he couldn't fence my stuff for much, because I responded that way.

Carry weapons? Anyone faster or tougher, can grab them and use them.

Be careful out there!

Dave

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 13, 2012 21:54 |  #38

Rule one for working alone in public with obvious and expensive equipment:

Don't.

Really simple rule to follow in most cases. Find two or three friends who share similar interests, and make an outing of it. Keep aware of what is going on around you, and be prepared to start packing things up if you get uncomfortable with a situation. Having at least one tall bearded guy helps. Apparently being tall and wearing a beard is like carrying around a decent telephoto lens: People assume you're professional or have a clue what you're doing.

Works very well with events like sidewalk astronomy. Different groups I've done events like that with openly talk about the value of gear, and I knew one guy who would even print off lists to hand out to people who were interested in starting out. But being alone in a dark area with ten thousand dollars in gear? Not the smartest choice.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Bishop ­ Gideon
77 posts
Joined Dec 2004

May 13, 2012 22:41 |  #39

Rule 1 - Never go out alone unless you feel comfortable in the situation.

Rule 2 - Always give up your gear. It is not worth your life. Ever. Neither is your wallet, neither is your purse, neither is your phone, neither is your car. Nothing is worth your life.

I find it interesting that people carrying guns and thinking that it will help them. More often than not, if a person is planning on robbing you, you don't have time to drop the camera (assuming you were using the straps correctly, reach behind you (or into your bag or at your hip) raise the gun to an aiming position (while having any chance to hitting what you're aiming at, one handed grips do not make a proper aiming stance), and then fire on the "thief" before he either runs up to you and stabs you or shoots you dead. And if you give up your gear, and he's fleeing the scene of the crime, to shoot him would most likely put you in legal trouble. You try telling the judge "Yes he just robbed me, he was leaving, but I feared for my life so I pulled my gun and shot him in the back."

It's just not worth it. Insure your gear, and don't put your self in sketchy situations. If you see something that looks sketchy, WALK AWAY. Heck, RUN AWAY if you have to.

I've pulled up places and said "Yeah, not getting outta my car." to take photos, just because the place looked sketchy. And I'm not a small weak looking person by any stretch of the imagination.

(or if you prefer the Internet tough guy response)

Hell, never give up you gear to anyone! No matter what! Personally, I carry a Beretta Model 21 Bobcat in each of my pockets, Px4 storm at the small of my back, a S&W .44 Magnum on each hip in low hung quick draw holsters and a Benelli M3 slung across my back. I'm a 4th Dan black belt in Krav Maga, a member of a top secret fighting force that I can't tell you about and I've fought in the Kumite against Frank Dux, so I know what I'm talking about and doing!

:)

Bishop Gideon
---------------
7D :: 18-50 f/2.8 - 70-200 f/2.8 - 1.4 ext - 580exII - 420EX
Sears 32B :: 58mm f/1.7 - 135mm f/2.8
http://www.DigitalFree​ze.com (external link)

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 13, 2012 22:57 |  #40

Bishop Gideon wrote in post #14427417 (external link)
I've fought in the Kumite against Frank Dux, so I know what I'm talking about and doing!

Even if that was true it wouldn't hold much weight since Frank won! :p

Joel

KeithS
266 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Jul 2009

May 13, 2012 22:59 |  #41

Rule 1 - You are responsible for your own safety.

Rule 2 - When seconds count, the police are minutes away.

Rule 3 - A percentage of the people in the world are predators.

And, before retirement, I was a state level firearms instructor, and a Probation Officer for 38 years....I dealt with these people.

See rule - 1.

edit: It would be helpful to see where everyone is from.....to give a perspective to their rationale.

Bishop ­ Gideon
77 posts
Joined Dec 2004

May 13, 2012 23:01 |  #42

joeblack2022 wrote in post #14427476 (external link)
Even if that was true it wouldn't hold much weight since Frank won! :p

(here's some internet tough guy back peddling for ya...)

That's what the movie version showed, in reality I beat him and he's working in a McDonalds as a fry cook in Mansfield, OH. :lol:

Bishop Gideon
---------------
7D :: 18-50 f/2.8 - 70-200 f/2.8 - 1.4 ext - 580exII - 420EX
Sears 32B :: 58mm f/1.7 - 135mm f/2.8
http://www.DigitalFree​ze.com (external link)

joeblack2022
Goldmember
3,005 posts
Joined Sep 2011

May 14, 2012 02:41 |  #43

Bishop Gideon wrote in post #14427493 (external link)
(here's some internet tough guy back peddling for ya...)

That's what the movie version showed, in reality I beat him and he's working in a McDonalds as a fry cook in Mansfield, OH. :lol:

I will have to give your account at least equal weight as Frank's since all facts have not been verified to this date. (Except that a movie got made out of it...) :D

Joel

olafs ­ osh
I am a nice and fluffy dude
1,918 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Apr 2012

May 14, 2012 03:50 |  #44

Have to agree with that small bit about camera straps - Canon and Nikon logos do attract the eyes. I have a nicey shoulderbag and at first I used to leave the strap out - camera in / zip / go further. But nowadays I spent that extra seconds to put the strap tucked in, too and looking for a nice upgrade from Blackrapid.

just thought about another "mask" - if you have 600d or 60d, just put some ****ty sticker on the other side of flipscreen and make it look old. You will never see that sticker anyways, but to others it will make your cam look overused and ages old.

- Olafs Osh
fb (external link) | instagram (external link) | YT (external link)|OLAFSOSH.COM (external link)|
Give us "Street Photography" sub-forum in P.O.T.N. !

birderman
Goldmember
1,039 posts
Joined Mar 2011

May 14, 2012 07:02 |  #45

Whilst the question of this thread is towards woman, I do feel that it should include men as well. Its a sad reflection on human civilisation when issues like this need to be considered. In additiona to circumstances whilst photographing I have had similar issues whilst out fishing or birdwatching and I have evaded unnecessary confrontation by packing up and leaving the scene saying I can't speak got get home to keep the wife happy and make a hasty retreat.....Also in addition to things like this at the venue also at times I feel insecure and unsafe when carrying expensive equipment to location using public transport so I tend to use a standard looking bag rather than something that advertises the expensive gear contained inside. I much prefer to rely on my own transport rather than public transport.

Birderman
London, UK
my photos on Flickr (external link)
My Website (external link) or my Facebook - KishWphotos (external link)

sponsored links

10,528 views & 0 likes for this thread
A question for the ladies, regarding saftey while shooting
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.