Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 27 Dec 2011 (Tuesday) 00:55
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bought a used lense at NEW price at B&H

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 27, 2011 12:48 |  #16

If you're not happy, return it. Pretty simple.

sponsored links
modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 27, 2011 13:12 |  #17

I bought a NEW 100 f2.8 L macro and 100-400 L in a shop in my local town. I went in with my camera and asked if I could have a look at the 2 lenses and slip them on my camera for a few shots to see if I liked them etc. They happily obliged and took the lenses out of the display cabinet for me to try. I decided to buy them straight away and expected them to get the boxes out of the cabinet to pack them. I was pleasantly surprized when the assistant went into the back of the shop and brought out 2 brand new lenses in brand new boxes that were still factory sealed. If a small shop like this can do that, surely a large shop which is part of a huge business should do the same. Moral of the story, go take it back and get a NEW one, and check it in the shop before you leave. Their policy might not be to check it, your policy is to check it and be happy before you leave.

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

WylunCustoms
THREAD ­ STARTER
170 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 28, 2011 04:21 |  #18

nice input guys... i ended up returning the product at B&H... then I went to adorama and got it there.. the salesman at Adorama was very nice and i told him what happened to me and when he brought out the box, he let me open it to check if it was brand new, (funny how that goes against everything i think right?).. i knew it was brand new and un-opened b4 more because the box itself was very crisp and the openings of the box was very hard to i guess "pry open" ... hard to explain but yes bottom line it was new! and it felt good, bought, happy, good,

got my tamron 70-300mm vc and im good! ADORAMA!

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 28, 2011 05:56 |  #19

Sounds like you had some bad luck at BH Photo, the salespeople and customer service at BH is abrupt but in my experience with them they are reasonable and do their best to make things right.

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 28, 2011 07:07 as a reply to  @ smorter's post |  #20

This annoys me. The first response was right. I work in retail and people often shop by box. It's a $400 lens and people get upset about about the $2 box. I understand the resale issues, but in many cases the box is opened to show a customer and then if that customer doesnt want it, then it is ruined for everyone.

It also sounds like they made a mistake. BH has a great reputation. Abes of maine starts and stops sales multiple times a day. The lens I was looking at last week was full price then 8% off, then full price, then 6% off.... all in 2 days. Its full price today.

Adoramas used prices being the same or greater happens when a rebate or a sale price lowers the new price, when you buy a used item from them you are picking a specific piece, not just a random unit from the used pile.

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

jrbdmb
Goldmember
1,291 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 28, 2011 07:30 |  #21

Unless the box is trashed, or there is visible signs of use on the lens, I would have been OK with the opened lens B&H sold you. When you pay for a new lens you are getting the lens, accessories, and a full warranty, all of which you got.

Now with the info you added later (missing warranty card) I would take the lens back, but the initial things you saw (box not "crisp", plastic bag wrinkled) seem like trivial reasons to return a lens.

Tools: 70D, 10-22, Tamron 24-70 VC, 70-300L, 135 f2L

Unregistered.Coward
884 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 28, 2011 07:58 |  #22

So you expect the store to take a loss on a lens simple becasue the box had been opened? Perhaps the buyer suffered remorse, decided it didn't fit his need, inadvertently purchased the wrong item, recieved it as a gift.

Would you prefer the store charge you a hefty restocking fee to compensate for a more liberal return policy?

....the best camera is the one you have on you at the time.

richardfox
Goldmember
1,883 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 28, 2011 08:11 |  #23

Every piece of equipment I've bought from B&H on-line has been brand new, packed in original box and included warranty card. I've bought a ton of stuff from them on-line without a single issue. Your case sounds like an oddity. ANYBODY can goof up sometime. Mistakes happen when humans are involved. B&H has an impeccable reputation with me, and no, I don't work there or know anyone that does! I live in Ohio, and even large items that are shipped by ground get here in 2 days. Amazing service!

Canon 50D gripped, EF 50/1.8, EF-S 10-22, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L, 100/2.8 macro, 100-400L, 300 2.8L, Canon 500 f8 mirror with chipped EF mount, 580EX, 1.4x and 2x Canon teleconverters, Canon EF Life-Size converter.

boufa
494 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Dec 28, 2011 08:14 as a reply to  @ Unregistered.Coward's post |  #24

It should also be pointed out that the common theme on these boards is to "take it back". Nearly every "which lens" thread and "good copy" discussions involve either a) trying a lens and if it is not exactly what you wanted take it back or b) open up the box in the store and try it before you buy it or leave.... this is all good advice, however it does end up leaving boxes that are opened but not "used".

BTW on that "NEW" car you got.... why do you think that it had 20 miles on it already?

Of course if it was damaged, showed any sign of wear, missing pieces, etc then 100% take it back.

Canon EOS 7D & 40D | Σ 10-20mm Wigma | Σ 150-600mm | Σ 18-250mm Macro | Canon 18-135 STM | Canon 55-250 STM
Gallery/Website/Blog - TowPathPhoto (external link)
Social Media - - - on Flickr (external link) . . . on Twitter (external link)
Creator of @OhioBirdAlert (external link) on Twitter

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
13,336 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 28, 2011 08:16 |  #25

KenjiS wrote in post #13603427 (external link)
Going to point out what i usually point out

Camera equipment is a bit of a special case when it comes to new/used things, Never had this happen with B&H but I will attest that all my local camera stores sell what many folks would classify as "used" lenses as "new" lenses, Most of the lenses they have in stock are opened and handed out to prospective customers and that to play with and try, and there is no open box discount when someone then goes to buy one of them...

It's sort of like buying a new car. How many people have test drove this car? If it's got 60 miles on it then it's been driven a few times but it's still new I suppose.

Photographer (external link) | The Toys! | Facebook (external link) | Video (external link) | Flickr (external link)
Shampoo sounds like an unfortunate name for a hair product.
You're a ghost driving a meat-coated skeleton made from stardust, riding a rock, hurtling through space. Fear Nothing!

bfg444
52 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 28, 2011 08:45 |  #26

boufa wrote in post #13609161 (external link)
It should also be pointed out that the common theme on these boards is to "take it back". Nearly every "which lens" thread and "good copy" discussions involve either a) trying a lens and if it is not exactly what you wanted take it back or b) open up the box in the store and try it before you buy it or leave.... this is all good advice, however it does end up leaving boxes that are opened but not "used".

Excellent point.

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 28, 2011 08:49 |  #27

It was just a mistake.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,421 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 28, 2011 09:07 |  #28

I wonder why the OP did not open and inspect the lens at B&H before buying it?

I've made a few trips to NYC and B&H never gave me a hard time about inspecting an item before purchasing.

I live in Maryland but often shop and buy in places not close to my home, so opening/inspecting before buying is something I always do.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 28, 2011 09:49 |  #29
bannedPermanent ban

I guess it depends how much you value your time. If the lens works ok, I would just keep it rather than having the aggravation of taking it back just to get a nice box...but that is me who values his free time more than a shiny box.

smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 28, 2011 10:26 |  #30

I nearly cried when a family member "accidentally" ripped apart my 200 f/2L IS box :(

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

sponsored links

5,574 views & 0 likes for this thread
Bought a used lense at NEW price at B&H
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.