Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 27 Dec 2011 (Tuesday) 13:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just A Thought....Ultimate Wedding Setup

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
24,738 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 27, 2011 22:13 |  #16

Armans Photography wrote in post #13607500 (external link)
=Arman's Photography;13607500]W​OW, I am insulted :) don't let this workhorse rot in your bag

Sorry, didn't mean to insult. ;):lol:

I shouldn't say I never use it, but it's very rarely used. What can I say? I am a prime whore. :lol:

sponsored links
memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 27, 2011 22:17 |  #17

Armans Photography wrote in post #13607500 (external link)
=Arman's Photography;13607500]W​OW, I am insulted :) don't let this workhorse rot in your bag

Mine lives in my bag a lot... only when I need the flexibility of a zoom does it come out.

Peter

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 27, 2011 23:35 |  #18

SMP_Homer wrote in post #13606736 (external link)
you've never shot a wedding

and

you should never shoot a wedding

Why is that?
Because I like to ask questions and think out side of the box?
Im not sure what your issue is or if it is just the fact that you lack reading comprehension.
Maybe you are the type of person who does not ask questions or experiment much? Either way, it might be beneficial to you to ask questions and take advice from others to help you with things such as your cross-processing.

This was just a question that I thought of after reading Jeff Ascough blog post "ZOOMS OR PRIMES? (external link)"

I did not see any reason for you to insult me with your statement just because I asked a question.

Photographer + Cinematographer
LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

Peacefield
Goldmember
4,023 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 28, 2011 06:28 |  #19

nicksan wrote in post #13607294 (external link)
That said, I never use my 24-70L, opting for primes instead.

Off topic, I know, but wanted to say that I'd love to get here someday. I much prefer the IQ and wide apertures of primes. And the less weight and bulk. This is why I think of adding the 24 if not maybe even the 14.

That said, I just feel that I always need that zoom capability to react quickly to situations; especially during the bride's prep and reception. I suppose it's a crutch that I need to wean myself off of.

The 24-70 focal length is very useful to me, though; especially going back and forth between FF and 1.6.

Robert Wayne Photography (external link)

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all

SMP_Homer
Cream of the Crop
5,709 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 28, 2011 07:06 |  #20

ChadAndreo wrote in post #13608146 (external link)
I did not see any reason for you to insult me with your statement just because I asked a question.

please do point out an insult in my post... there isn't one because one wasn't meant - anything you feel as a result of my post is something else you may or may not need to deal with, I have no idea, I really don't know you or your background, can't help you there...

All I'm saying is that anyone that thinks a single long mm range lens can be considered "ultimate wedding setup" was dreamed up by someone that's never shot a wedding, and someone that shouldn't do so, at least not with that setup!

EOS R6’ / 1D X / 1D IV (and the wife has a T4i)
Sig35A, Sig50A, Sig85A, Sig14-24A, Sig24-105A, Sig70-200S, Sig150-600C
100-400L, 100L, 100/2, 300 2.8L, 1.4x II / 2x II
600EX-II X3, 430EX-III X3

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 28, 2011 15:03 |  #21

In my opinion, not only is it insulting to tell someone "...you should never shoot a wedding" just because they asked a question that you might of found "idiotic", but it is also counterproductive because responses like that are one of the main reasons why people are scared to ask questions on forums and/or in real life. Also, you made a statement off of an assumption by saying "you've never shot a wedding".
I dont mean to ramble, but I love to learn and think outside of the box and I take it personally when someone tries hinder that.

LETS CONNECT - SOCIAL PHOTOGRAPHY SITE LINKS | Website (external link) | Wedding Site (external link) |
| Flickr  (external link) | Gear | 500px  (external link) | Tumblr (external link)

jcolman
Goldmember
2,656 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 28, 2011 15:53 |  #22

Ultimate wedding setup for me would be:

Full frame 30mp camera able to accurately track focus in very dark rooms. 10 fps and ISO of 125,000. Built in ETTL radio transmitter. Internal blade type shutter that syncs at any shutter speed. Camera would be weather sealed and weight no more than 3 lbs. Battery life capable of delivering 3000 shots per charge.

Lens would be a 14-250mm f/1.2 zoom that weights about 1.5 lbs and is image stabilized. Retractable lens hood standard.

Lighting would be battery powered speedlights, capable of producing 3000 medium power shots per charge with a recycle time of .3 seconds at full power. Built in ETTL receiver that not only controls power settings (in manual mode) and/or ETTL mode, but also motorized swivel and tilt function on the head.

That should pretty much cover it. ;)

www.jimcolmanphotograp​hy.com (external link)

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 28, 2011 15:55 |  #23

...here we go
LOL

bigarchi
962 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 28, 2011 16:18 |  #24

jcolman wrote in post #13611361 (external link)
Ultimate wedding setup for me would be:

Full frame 30mp camera able to accurately track focus in very dark rooms. 10 fps and ISO of 125,000. Built in ETTL radio transmitter. Internal blade type shutter that syncs at any shutter speed. Camera would be weather sealed and weight no more than 3 lbs. Battery life capable of delivering 3000 shots per charge.

Lens would be a 14-250mm f/1.2 zoom that weights about 1.5 lbs and is image stabilized. Retractable lens hood standard.

Lighting would be battery powered speedlights, capable of producing 3000 medium power shots per charge with a recycle time of .3 seconds at full power. Built in ETTL receiver that not only controls power settings (in manual mode) and/or ETTL mode, but also motorized swivel and tilt function on the head.

That should pretty much cover it. ;)

and is all 'reasonably' priced :)

~Mitch

my gear and feedback

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 28, 2011 17:45 |  #25

ChadAndreo wrote in post #13605564 (external link)
What do my fellow POTN'rs think of this setup, budget willing?
1D Mark IV or 1Dx (when its released) combined with the Canon 28-300L and a second body with a fast prime of your choosing.
I would think that this setup would cover 90% of most wedding photographers needs especially with the high iso technology that these cameras now have and when low light becomes an issue, you could always switch over to fast primes.

Did it ever occur to you that if this was even vaguely a practical or realistic possibility some people would already be using it? The very fact that there are several threads on this forum alone all with kit recommendations from wedding photographers with no one suggesting anything similar to what proposed speaks volumes.

Peter

memoriesoftomorrow
Goldmember
3,846 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Dec 28, 2011 17:47 |  #26

bigarchi wrote in post #13611466 (external link)
and is all 'reasonably' priced :)

It wouldn't have to be that reasonable if you think about it... how much you'd save on other kit.

Peter

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 28, 2011 18:06 |  #27

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #13611859 (external link)
Did it ever occur to you that if this was even vaguely a practical or realistic possibility some people would already be using it? The very fact that there are several threads on this forum alone all with kit recommendations from wedding photographers with no one suggesting anything similar to what proposed speaks volumes.

Yes I did. There have been no discussions or threads on here about this setup. All you see are post about 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 35mm and 85mm for a wedding kit.
Try googling "Canon 28-300L and Weddings" and you will find a few who use and like this setup.
Although this is my favorite photography forum, just because someone ask a question that's not the norm here doesn't mean there's something wrong with it. Photography is definitely one of those "more than one way to skin a cat" things.

jonwhite
Goldmember
1,279 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 28, 2011 19:31 |  #28

Never seen a wedding photographer who uses a 28-300L and I definitely wouldn't use it myself, no matter what camera you pair it with I would consider it too slow.

Wedding togs tend to stick to 2.8 and wider aperture lenses as we quite often find ourselves pushing the ISO limits of our cameras or wanting to separate our subjects from the background with a nice wide aperture.

Wedding Portfolio Website (external link) | Wedding Photographer Blog (external link)

DMPRO78
23 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 29, 2011 01:40 as a reply to  @ jonwhite's post |  #29

Lens snobbism is rampant. Many photographers can "make do" with these extreme zooms that are "slow". One that comes to mind is Mark McCall from Lubbock, TX. He routinely uses a Tamron 28 - 200 f/3.8-5.6 to create, in his own words, merit winning images in PPA competitions. He swears by, not at, his Tamron lenses.

It's not what you have, but what you do, with these lenses. Don't knock 'em if you just aren't capable of using them to best effect. It seems others can.

Dave Prouty
De gustibus non est disputandum!

ChadAndreo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,879 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Dec 29, 2011 02:02 |  #30

DMPRO78 wrote in post #13613680 (external link)
Lens snobbism is rampant. Many photographers can "make do" with these extreme zooms that are "slow". One that comes to mind is Mark McCall from Lubbock, TX. He routinely uses a Tamron 28 - 200 f/3.8-5.6 to create, in his own words, merit winning images in PPA competitions. He swears by, not at, his Tamron lenses.

It's not what you have, but what you do, with these lenses. Don't knock 'em if you just aren't capable of using them to best effect. It seems others can.

Thank You
bw!

sponsored links

5,644 views & 0 likes for this thread
Just A Thought....Ultimate Wedding Setup
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.