Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Dec 2011 (Thursday) 20:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Firmware for EOS 5D

gwilliamsphoto
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jul 2011

Dec 22, 2011 20:27 |  #1

Hello all, new to this forum. I recently posted this topic on Photo.net and wanted to share with you all here that may be owners of the original 5D. Great camera; I use them professionally for weddings, events and family sessions. I cant justify purchasing/ replacing them with the MK II's from a business investment standpoint as my original 5D's are still cranking out great images that are generating bookings! So for me, like a lot of other colleges are saying, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Here's what my thoughts are on trying to get an Auto ISO firmware update from Canon:

Hello all, I like many out there are still using the original EOS 5D with great results. And while the the Mk II is and awesome camera with it's laundry list of features and upgrades, I just can't justify getting it especially when the original just keeps delivering. I shoot professionally with these great cameras and I've always appreciated the Auto ISO feature of some of the newer Canon bodies out there. With Auto ISO enabled I can concentrate on shooting and not having to stop and adjust the ISO for each shot when in different lighting situations. Sure, it's easy to tap the ISO button and adjust as needed, but not having to do so would be great and a time/ effort saver. I've gotten pretty fast at it, but it still requires one to take your eye off the action/subject or potential subject and jack with ISO's manually. With it I wouldn't run the risk of potentially missing shots dickering with manual ISO settings. In my humble opinion, those days are over. Even back in the day when I shot my two EOS 1V's doing photojournalism, I didn't jack with ISO's, I grabbed the camera body loaded with the appropriate ASA film needed for the situation. So in saying all that, I'm wondering if anyone else can appreciate this need/want and has wanted this feature available on their original 5D? I mean heck, the old 10D even has Auto ISO (iso 100-400).
Recently, during a phone call inquiry to Canon, I made a suggestion for a firmware update for Auto ISO selectable in the "M, Av, Tv, & P" modes ranging from 100-1600. They were very nice and forwarded my suggestion! What are your thoughts about this? This would be great for current owners of the classic, trusty 5D. It may save someone out there like me from having to upgrade to another Canon body just to have this feature, and /or switch to another brand if they're contemplating that. Anyone else willing to follow suite and shoot this suggestion to Canon as I did? I'm still getting paid bookings using this great DSLR and maybe others out there would like as I do; get the most milage out of their 5D...it's still a winner. Who knows, maybe if more people ask for it, they will produce a firmware update!

Greg Williams
www.gregwilliamsphotob​log.com (external link)

sponsored links
macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Dec 29, 2011 03:04 |  #2

Don't hold your breath. I don't think that a new firmware is in the cards. It would be nice if they would update it, even if only to update the lens table with the names of the newer lenses. The lack of autoISO isn't a design defect, and they already have your money. Updating the 5D would take sales away from the mkII and the newer 1Ds series cameras.

The 5D came out in 2005, and they last updated the firmware in early 2008, almost four years ago. There are many newer features that they could implement if they were to rework the firmware but they haven't even written a device driver for Windows 7 64-bit for doing tethered shooting which was supported in previous operating systems. XP-mode must be installed for that now.

I'm afraid that free firmware support is long over.

Photo Gear

5Dmaniac
Goldmember
1,303 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 29, 2011 03:11 |  #3

Won't happen. Canon has long stopped updating the firmware for the 5Dc. They have more urgent things to work on right now. I am also one of those who still uses the original 5D.

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,488 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 29, 2011 04:14 |  #4

There will be icicles in the Devil's beard first. They didn't even put Auto ISO into the 5D2's M mode, despite the fact that M in video shooting has it and it would be an easy adaptation.

Elie / אלי

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 29, 2011 09:00 |  #5

No way, they won't expend resources on something that old. Maybe you could get something from the Magic Lantern folks...

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 29, 2011 09:04 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

Yeh, they'll give you new firmware and will throw in a new camera all for just $2000. They will call this new firmware 5d2.

duntov
463 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 29, 2011 09:12 |  #7

What about a secondary source of Firmware for the 5D classic. I'm sure someone out there pushes out some quality firmware for them...

Canon 7D,Canon 5D, Canon 40D, Canon Rebel XT, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 50 1.4 Canon 100-400 mm L, Canon 70-200 F4 L, Canon 17-40 F4 L, Canon 24-70 F2.8, Canon 100 Macro 2.8, Speedlite 430EX (X 2), Elinchrom D-Lite 4 set to go

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
2,065 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 29, 2011 09:18 |  #8

Won't happen. Wake up, if the person on the phone was receptive to your suggestion, they just did a good PR move. Companies the size of Canon don't really care what you think; they have a stable of pros they commission to use the cameras and come back with improvements. The 5D is no longer being evaluated for improvements. All you might see someday would be some fix to a repeatable problem.

multidisciplinary visual guy | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5D4, 70-200LII zeiss distagon 15, 21, 25, 28, 50ƒ1.4 milvus; vario-sonnar N 24-85; makro planar 50, 100 mirrorless leica Q2 fujifilm XT-2, 16, 56; zeiss distagon 12, planar 32 film canon 1n hasselblad 501cm, 50, 80

Accessoire
Goldmember
1,119 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 29, 2011 09:32 |  #9

for kicks, I asked Canon as well, this is the response I got: (I highly doubt it was sent to the engineers, though...)

Thank you for contacting Canon product support. We value you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you with your EOS 5D and it's ISO functions.

Currently, only when you are in Full AUTO mode will the ISO be set automatically. I have sent your request to our engineers for review. Please keep an eye on our website for any firmware updates that may come available to resolve this issue.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance with your EOS 5D. Thank you for choosing Canon.

but, its all good, after using auto ISO on my last body, it only took me about a year to get it into my thick skull to set it before I start shooting.

WaltA
Goldmember
3,868 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Feb 2006

Dec 29, 2011 10:19 |  #10

I think the only possible updates to firmware for the 5Dc at this late date will come from 3rd party developers, like Magic Lantern or CHDK/400Plus groups.

You might want to check out this forum and express your interest There are a few people that have done so already . http://chdk.setepontos​.com/index.php?topic=2​163.15 (external link)

Walt
400D, 5D, 7D and a bag of stuff

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
20,426 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 29, 2011 11:27 |  #11

Won't happen. Thought it would be nice to have some of the newer features in older cameras as long as hardware can support it. For example MA.

I used to have a old panasonic FZ1. After some time someone at panasonic released a new firmware for it and got some nice features. Think the big bosses didn't like it and no more new firmware releases after that.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
15,813 posts
Gallery: 173 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, now in Washington state, road trip back and forth a lot, with extensive detouring

Dec 29, 2011 11:45 |  #12

I too have a 5D classic, and also use it professionally. Personally, I have no use for auto ISO. I can't think of any situation in which it would be of any use to me.
I would have no interest in this firmware upgrade, even if it were available for free.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
2,065 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Dec 29, 2011 16:25 |  #13

Tom Reichner wrote in post #13615407 (external link)
I too have a 5D classic, and also use it professionally. Personally, I have no use for auto ISO. I can't think of any situation in which it would be of any use to me.
I would have no interest in this firmware upgrade, even if it were available for free.

Whew, I'm glad you wrote that. I just read a post where the person apparently used Auto ISO, and therefore auto-everything, if I read another post correctly. I was starting to flip.

I'm glad I had pre-coded 35mm, roll and sheet film experience where there was no choice but to meter and read and set everything. Although I have used Auto ISO a couple times where I set an extreme aperture and didn't want to run out of shutter. Might have been my 5DII in AP mode. I believe, Auto ISO starts at 200 and adjusts from there. Not bad, but 93% worthless.

multidisciplinary visual guy | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5D4, 70-200LII zeiss distagon 15, 21, 25, 28, 50ƒ1.4 milvus; vario-sonnar N 24-85; makro planar 50, 100 mirrorless leica Q2 fujifilm XT-2, 16, 56; zeiss distagon 12, planar 32 film canon 1n hasselblad 501cm, 50, 80

sponsored links

2,801 views & 0 likes for this thread
Firmware for EOS 5D
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.