Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Dec 2011 (Thursday) 00:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D classic still relevant?

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,856 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 29, 2011 09:58 |  #16

Stay away from cameras which were trashed. It shows only one thing - previous owner wasn't using it properly.
You could find 5Dc in perfect condition for 900-1000 easily.
But if you were interested in 7D why do you need very different camera?

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

sponsored links
RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 29, 2011 10:00 |  #17
bannedPermanent ban

Compact Diss wrote in post #13614835 (external link)
Perfect timing for this post!

I found a used 5D on Adorama.
http://www.adorama.com​/US%20%20%20%20469771.​html (external link)

It's $749.00, their used description :Appears to have been used heavily, showing multiple dings, scrapes/scratches, cracks and heavy brassing but functions correctly.

Adorama will give a 90 day warranty. I have been saving for the 7D, but this is buyable for me, I am interested in the FF as I am getting away from sports and into portraiture.

Any thoughts? I'm not interested in the 7D vs. 5D debate, just wondering if it's a good deal reading the condition it's in.

Thanks!!

I personally would be looking for one in good condition and would pay a little extra for that. But it's a personal choice. As for 7D vs 5D, for portraiture the 5Dc is better suited.

Wedding photography (external link)

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 29, 2011 10:03 |  #18
bannedPermanent ban

kf095 wrote in post #13614864 (external link)
Stay away from cameras which were trashed. It shows only one thing - previous owner wasn't using it properly.
You could find 5Dc in perfect condition for 900-1000 easily.

Sometimes the opposite is true. Sometimes camera's are in great condition because there is something wrong with them so the owner didn't use it much. I would feel more comfortable buying a camera with a fair amount of clicks on the shutter than a pristine camera with 1K on the shutter.

Compact ­ Diss
Goldmember
1,432 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Dec 29, 2011 10:11 |  #19

kf095 wrote in post #13614864 (external link)

Probably because I am an impulsive buyer and I have the money. I have been reading all night about the FF sensor and it has got me thinking that's the way to go for a better quality image, it's obvious it's the way to go. So when I saw the price I figured it was a good deal, but like someone said, a couple of hundred more and I can get a better conditioned camera.

Boston Street Photographyexternal link
Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,744 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 29, 2011 10:14 |  #20

TeamSpeed wrote in post #13614113 (external link)
You would lose video and 1/2 the resolution, but for many, video is not important, and 12 mpx gets the job done. The 5D2 does high ISO better, but the 5D classic doesn't start to give up until around ISO 3200 and up.

Wait, is there a way to get a 5Dc up over 3200? Mine only goes from 50-3200 (with expansion enabled).

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 29, 2011 10:18 |  #21

Compact Diss wrote in post #13614835 (external link)
Perfect timing for this post!

I found a used 5D on Adorama.
http://www.adorama.com​/US%20%20%20%20469771.​html (external link)

It's $749.00, their used description :Appears to have been used heavily, showing multiple dings, scrapes/scratches, cracks and heavy brassing but functions correctly.

Adorama will give a 90 day warranty. I have been saving for the 7D, but this is buyable for me, I am interested in the FF as I am getting away from sports and into portraiture.

Any thoughts? I'm not interested in the 7D vs. 5D debate, just wondering if it's a good deal reading the condition it's in.

Thanks!!

Having not seen it, and going on your description I think you can do better. The "cracks" would concern me. You can find these in very good condition for $800. I recently picked up a 5d, canon grip, 4 batteries, strap, boxes and docs, mirror fix done, RRS L bracket, under 11k clicks for $800. It looks new.

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,534 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 29, 2011 10:19 |  #22

Compact Diss wrote in post #13614933 (external link)
Probably because I am an impulsive buyer and I have the money. I have been reading all night about the FF sensor and it has got me thinking that's the way to go for a better quality image, it's obvious it's the way to go. So when I saw the price I figured it was a good deal, but like someone said, a couple of hundred more and I can get a better conditioned camera.

Check your PM's. I have one for sale thats likely in much better condition than this one at Adorama with about 10k clicks on it. Im only looking for $825.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
R6, EF16-35 f4 IS, EF 50 1.2, EF 100 2.8 IS Macro, 150-600C

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
39,319 posts
Gallery: 116 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Dec 29, 2011 10:20 |  #23

Mistabernie wrote in post #13614951 (external link)
Wait, is there a way to get a 5Dc up over 3200? Mine only goes from 50-3200 (with expansion enabled).

Just do the 2nd stop of expansion manually. The camera in expanded ISO mode just packages up the steps for you in a neat little setting. The camera shoots at ISO 1600 1 stop underexposed, then bumps the resulting raw file up 1 stop in exposure, thus ISO 3200.

You can do this manually, but with 2 stops each way, giving you 6400.

Summary: Shoot 2 stops underexposed at ISO 1600, then take the raw, and push the exposure up 2 stops, then convert to JPG. It won't be great, the 5D starts to band when doing this, much like what you would see on the 20D-50D, but not quite as bad.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Mistabernie
'Camera Unicorn McSparkles'..
2,744 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 29, 2011 10:37 |  #24

AH, yeah, I hadn't thought of doing it that way.. Thanks as always TS!

Donate if you love POTN! | Smugmug (external link) | Gear List & POTN Marketplace Feedback
Feel free to call me Bernie.
LIVING PROOF WHY YOU DON'T MENTION THE TITLE FAIRY...

Accessoire
Goldmember
1,119 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 29, 2011 10:38 |  #25

I thought I saw one in the "sell" section, might want to take a gander.
Got mine here, second hand, its one of the "newer" ones made in '08, had the mirror recall and 8,000 actuations for $1K. Was a great deal for me.

Numenorean
Cream of the Crop
5,013 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 29, 2011 10:59 |  #26

Man those CF cards suck so bad...I must need to get rid of he 5DII since it still uses that outdated crap! lol.

My 40D still takes good pictures. So does my 20D. The 10D that I sold years ago to a friend still takes good photos.

The better question would be if the photographer is relevant.

Gear List

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 29, 2011 11:02 |  #27
bannedPermanent ban

Also wouldn't worry about it only having 12mp, full frame files are usually a fair bit sharper to begin with, show less severe faults like chromatic aberrations, so they tend to hold up better when cropping. Also the 5Dc is very sharp for a FF camera, as it enjoys the benefits of a weak AA filter.

7D files won't even be that much bigger, as mega-pixels are calculated the same way as you calculate area. For instance, it can look impressive if a camera has double the amount of megapixels, but that only equates to a 40% linear increase in image size.

RhysPhotograph.Me
504 posts
Joined Nov 2011

Dec 29, 2011 11:06 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

Numenorean wrote in post #13615164 (external link)
Man those CF cards suck so bad...I must need to get rid of he 5DII since it still uses that outdated crap! lol.

Yeh, I didn't get that one either, and doesn't the 7D use CF cards as well? Lol
Hmm, guess the Op is likely looking to upgrade his rebel.

kf095
Out buying Wheaties
6,856 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 29, 2011 11:13 |  #29

RhysPhotograph.Me wrote in post #13614890 (external link)
Sometimes the opposite is true. Sometimes camera's are in great condition because there is something wrong with them so the owner didn't use it much. I would feel more comfortable buying a camera with a fair amount of clicks on the shutter than a pristine camera with 1K on the shutter.

Sometimes, sure. Weird things happens sometimes for sure.
Normally if something is wrong with camera people fix it.
Most of the times it shows two things. Used camera is in great condition if:
- nothing is wrong with camera, it was in use in the same studio.
or
- nothing is wrong with camera, it was purchased, but owner didn't really used it a lot.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Glenn ­ NK
Goldmember
4,630 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Dec 29, 2011 11:15 |  #30

Hogloff wrote in post #13614652 (external link)
Two features of the 5d2 that made me move from a 5d is liveview and sensor cleaning. These two features are indispensable when out in the field shooting landscapes for a week. The extra pixels definitely is a big
Improvement for large prints.

There were numerous comments five or so years ago about the 5DC being a dust magnet, and the LV is very useful when using a TSE.

I always smile when it seems to be implied that because it's old, it doesn't take good images - is this because the pixels are dying off or because someone's brain cells are dying off? :D

CF card is an issue? Wake up little Snuzie. :rolleyes:

Glenn

When did voluptuous become voluminous?

sponsored links

11,319 views & 6 likes for this thread
5D classic still relevant?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.