Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Dec 2011 (Thursday) 07:13
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

LCD Display vs Viewfinder

dariad
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 29, 2011 07:13 |  #1

I find it very difficult to use the T3i's viewfinder (I wear trifocals and can't focus properly), and find myself always using the LCD screen. Do I have to cover the viewfinder when I use the LCD screen or does using one negate the other?

sponsored links
greenjeans
Goldmember
2,245 posts
Gallery: 272 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 29, 2011 08:45 |  #2

I have heard folks say to cover the viewfinder because stray light will enter and slightly throw off exposure, but I have no experience either way. Canon does put the cover for the viewfinder on the strap, so there must be times when it should be used. Haven't checked my manual about this.

Gripped 6D, gripped 6D2, gripped 70D, 80D, 24-105 F4L, 50mm 1.8 STM, 55-250mm, 18-135mm, 60mm EF-S macro, 70-200 F4L IS, 400mm F5.6L, 18-55mm IS STM, Canon 85mm 1.8, Sigma 150-600mm C., Sigma 100-400mm C, Canon 70-300 IS USM, Samyang 8mm 3.5 fisheye, Sunpak DF3600U Flash (2)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 29, 2011 08:52 |  #3

have you looked into one of those rubber hood things for eyeglass wearers?

Albert ­ Nam
393 posts
Joined May 2011

Dec 29, 2011 08:57 |  #4

In live view the mirror is locked up so you shouldn't have to cover the viewfinder.

Gear
flickr (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Dec 29, 2011 09:38 |  #5

I heard some people have this problem. I am a pro these days and never use the live-view. I like the viewfinder and it's easy to compose for me that way. But with any gear you purchase, just work with it as best you can and see what happens.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,605 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 29, 2011 09:45 |  #6

greenjeans wrote in post #13614541 (external link)
I have heard folks say to cover the viewfinder because stray light will enter and slightly throw off exposure, but I have no experience either way. Canon does put the cover for the viewfinder on the strap, so there must be times when it should be used. Haven't checked my manual about this.

Interesting that this should come up. Earlier this week I was trying to capture the constellation of Orion. I was using the 5DMkII, 50mm f/1.4 and long exposures, 30sec. Well the first few pics came out blown out, totally overexposed. I kept adjusting the shutter speed and ISO until I got a picture. Thing is that the exposure was so short that you could barely see the stars. I finally figured out that the landscape lights that were behind me were bright enough so that the light entering the VF was being captures. I covered the VF and was back shooting at 30 sec.

So, if you are taking long exposure pics, I would definitely worry about how much light enters the VF. If the exposure times are short, I would worry much less. But if you are using the LCD to compose, focus, and take the pic, why take chances, cover the VF.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

tzalman
Fatal attraction.
13,482 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Dec 29, 2011 09:51 |  #7

Albert Nam wrote in post #13614588 (external link)
In live view the mirror is locked up so you shouldn't have to cover the viewfinder.

Not only is the mirror up and blocking light from the optical vf, but also the normal metering system is turned off and exposure is calculated from the digital image from the sensor.

Elie / אלי

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,260 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Dec 29, 2011 10:02 |  #8

Albert Nam wrote in post #13614588 (external link)

Exactly. Metering is limited to evaluative and is read from the sensor. The viewfinder is blocked by the mirror so the usual metering method (a sensor reading the focusing screen) is disabled.

hania
919 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 29, 2011 12:40 |  #9

greenjeans wrote in post #13614541 (external link)

I was photographing some birds on the nest , setting AV; I decided on a depth of field and iso and reckoned that any small differences in exposure wouldn't matter much

photos I took myself were fine (blocking the viewfinder) , those taken at a distance using a wireless shutter release were all over the place - the exposure was affected by light bleed! Never thought it could have such an effect.

Apparently, I should have set the camera on manual to make sure this didn't happen.

Gear List

sponsored links

1,084 views & 0 likes for this thread
LCD Display vs Viewfinder
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.