Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 29 Dec 2011 (Thursday) 21:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First Attempt At Stacking - Moon

nvchad2
329 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 29, 2011 21:47 |  #1

I have absolutely no idea if I did this correctly at all, but I like the result I ended up with. I know you guys will tell me the good (if any) and everything I need to improve on. I've been wanting to get some shots of the moon for a while, but never tried. Saw the information on stacking and thought I would try it.

Taken at:
300mm
ISO-800
1/200 sec

I used 5 shots and 5 "darks" but no idea if what I did was correct.

Let me know what you think. All C&C welcome. New to this, want to learn.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i912.photobucke​t.com …TN/MoonFirstSta​ckEdit.jpg (external link)

Sony a300

Sony: 50/f1.8 | 18-55/f3.5 | 18-70/f3.5
Sigma: 70-300/f4
Opteka: 500/f8

nvchad2
THREAD ­ STARTER
329 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Dec 29, 2011 22:22 |  #2

I looked at this shot over and over and the more I looked the less I liked it. I decided to go back to PS and do SOMETHING with it. Ended up just desaturating it. I've been reading more and it seems stacking isnt needed with the moon typically, and stacking needs more than just 5 shots. I spent a lot of time outside tonight shooting all sorts of stuff. The moon was last on my list and each shot came out decent so I didnt bother shooting a bunch.

DeepSkyStacker is an interesting program, but i'm still trying to figure it out. I tried to follow some tutorials (including http://www.asignobserv​atory.com …=article&id=84&​Itemid=125 (external link)) but it didn't seem to make much of a difference, even with really wide shots. The moon was really the only one that ended up good. If anyone has other tutorials or suggestions or anything really, please let me know.

Anyway, below is the edit of my first post.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i912.photobucke​t.com …N/MoonFirstStac​kEdit2.jpg (external link)

Sony a300

Sony: 50/f1.8 | 18-55/f3.5 | 18-70/f3.5
Sigma: 70-300/f4
Opteka: 500/f8

spit
311 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Dec 30, 2011 03:25 |  #3

ill comment- it really doesnt look very clean or sharp- i see by the original image the histogram and color are way off, shouldnt use DSS for stacking lunar- try registax- i dont think you need the darks, keep at it- youll improve the more you do

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

748 views & 0 likes for this thread
First Attempt At Stacking - Moon
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.