Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 29 Dec 2011 (Thursday) 22:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Renting a Waste of $$$ ?

Kylemorgan88
423 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 29, 2011 22:06 |  #1

Why rent when lenses hold value so well? I see a lot of experienced photographers recommending to the newbies they experiment by renting a few lenses before deciding which to purchase. This really seems like a waste of money. Trying out just a handful of lenses for a very short period of time adds up quickly.

A 70-200 2.8L IS II costs $140 (nearly 10% of the purchase price) to rent for just one week after paying for shipping and insurance.

I'd rather patiently search the used market for a good price and have the lens for a couple months. If I decide after thorough testing the lens isn't a good fit, I can sell it for little or no loss.

Am I missing something?

sponsored links
charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 29, 2011 22:07 |  #2

Some (most?) people don't have the $2000+ up front.

Kylemorgan88
THREAD ­ STARTER
423 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 29, 2011 22:13 as a reply to  @ charro callado's post |  #3

I'm not talking about renting because you can't afford to buy, I'm talking about renting to find out if you want to buy.

Several photogs are renting prior to purchasing just to make sure they are making the right decision. Seems like a waste of $ to me.

charro ­ callado
Goldmember
1,144 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 29, 2011 22:14 |  #4

Kylemorgan88 wrote in post #13618334 (external link)
I'm not talking about renting because you can't afford to buy, I'm talking about renting to find out if you want to buy.

Several photogs are renting prior to purchasing just to make sure they are making the right decision. Seems like a waste of $ to me.

Ah. Well, then yes, I tend to agree.

3Rotor
783 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined May 2009

Dec 29, 2011 22:21 |  #5

Yea, if you're a high roller and have money to throw at lenses, you could just buy them all up and not worry about the ones that don't suit your needs. The average person is not going to have $2000 to throw down multiple times to "try out" a lens, let alone once. Renting allows the shooter to experiment with lenses that they would typically no look at.

Instagram (external link)
www.jessemak.com (external link)

bassman69
Mostly Lurking
18 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 29, 2011 22:30 as a reply to  @ 3Rotor's post |  #6

I have been thinking about a 24-70 or 24-105 but I already have a Tamron 17-50 and a 28-75 which were a third the price of an L and arguably about as good. No way I drop $1200 on an L to find out its not much better than what I have. I am probably renting the 24-70, it's like $90 for a week. That's well worth it to me.

Kylemorgan88
THREAD ­ STARTER
423 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Dec 29, 2011 22:40 as a reply to  @ bassman69's post |  #7

Again, I understand the need and desire to rent a lens because purchasing is not a financially viable option.

But for those actually in the market to purchase a lens, but are unsure which to purchase, renting seems like a good way to deplete the purchasing funds.

For example, let's pretend I want a 70-200 f4, but am not sure if I need the IS version. Obviously I have $1K to spend or I would not be considering these two lenses. Renting both will cost me $200 which is 40% of the entire purchase price of a used non-IS 70-200 f4.

mike_d
Cream of the Crop
5,315 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2009

Dec 29, 2011 22:41 |  #8

Find a local shop that will let you rent them for a day. I wouldn't pay $140 to rent a lens for a week, but I'll pay $20-40 to rent one for the weekend. That's enough time to get a feel for whether or not its a lens I'm really interested in.

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,064 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Dec 29, 2011 23:18 |  #9

if you buy new the hit you'd take by having to sell a lens that didn't work for you is probably going to be more than the rental cost...

yes if you're buying used then it doesn't make that much sense...but not everyone is comfortable buying used gear

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Timsxsi
159 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Dec 29, 2011 23:40 |  #10

I have rented a few lenses. All the lenses I have rented were Canon L series glass.I am just an amature who wants to take high quality pictures. After reading countless threads about differnt lenses it is tough to decide on which ones to buy.For example, some say primes are much sharper than zooms. There seems to be no clear consensus on this so I rented some prime lenses to find out for myself. I found out that I would rather have zoom lenses. The local shop rents Canon lenses for about 30 dollars for the weekend.It was 30 dollars well spent to find out I prefer zoom lenses.

JAbberwocky
373 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Dec 30, 2011 00:14 |  #11

I've picked up at a lens rental places several times. Most of the time, the other customer was a hired gun doing a shoot. Makes perfect sense for them: the price of renting is small compared to what they make, no need to mess with ebay or craigslist, lenses guaranteed to work, and they probably have better things to do than mess around with selling it back out.

Photography is not defined by what gear you own.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,642 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 30, 2011 01:48 |  #12

I've rented the 600mm when I'm shooting surfing on the north shore of Oahu. A week with it is under $400. If I needed it more often, I'd find one to purchase but it's a once a year kind of thing (November).

FEChariot
Goldmember
4,422 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Dec 30, 2011 02:05 |  #13

Kylemorgan88 wrote in post #13618334 (external link)

I absolutly feel the same way. Used lenses go for 10% lower than Amazon/ BHphoto prices around here if they are mint. The rental is a guarantied loss of 10%. At least with buying new there is a good chance you will end up liking the lens and loose nothing. Buying used is a free rental. I bought a Tammy 28-75 used, had it for 2 years and sold it at a profit.

Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 100/2.8 IS L, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,429 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 30, 2011 10:22 |  #14

If I wanted to test a lens I buy it use it for a month or more and sell if I don't like it. Much cheaper than renting. I can't find how the lens behaves and whether I like it or not by renting it for a weekend.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Dec 30, 2011 10:26 |  #15

Renting is perfect when you can bill the client for it... ;)

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links

7,561 views & 0 likes for this thread
Renting a Waste of $$$ ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.