Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 30 Dec 2011 (Friday) 15:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New DSLR User ( Let Me Know What I Did Wrong)

JM45ACP
660 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 30, 2011 15:03 |  #1

First post I just bought a 60d with the EF-S 18-135mm IS lens.
The dog was sleeping so I thought I would try to take a B&W shot.Tell me what I did wrong.
Thanks John

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i1237.photobuck​et.com …f461/JM45ACP/IM​G_0402.jpg (external link)

John
7D Mark II==7D == EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM == EF 100mm f/2.8LMacro==70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM == EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM UD == EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM==Speedlite 430 EX II == Benro A1980F Tripod W/ Opteka GH1 Gimbal Head==Manfrotto Monopods 680B==294-4==Various Cables Wireless Triggers and Other Stuff== PHOTO EDITING OK

sponsored links
cmh512
221 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 30, 2011 15:06 |  #2

What you did wrong is to not post the EXIF info on the shot so people can give advice.

It looks like you focused OK on the dogs face. If you wanted all of the dog in focus, you'll need to step down the aperture.

Enjoy your new DSLR. I just ordered one myself - a T3i.

T3i, 18-55, EFS 10-22, 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS. Fuji XT-1, 18-55 F2-4.
flickr (external link)

DThriller
Goldmember
1,989 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 30, 2011 15:12 |  #3

You might think of getting a more interesting angle and also if you showed a little background it might give it a little more depth. Just take a lot of shots from a lot of angles and you'll find what looks good.

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)
@DPhillipsStudios
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCgAZ5-OKdg1YXONAjGu91zQ (external link)

frugivore
Goldmember
3,089 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Dec 30, 2011 15:14 |  #4

Exif is in the image file:

F-stop: f/5.6
Exposure time: 1/60 sec.
ISO speed: ISO-400
Focal length: 92mm
Flash mode: Flash, compulsory

I prefer color in my photographs in most cases - it tends to make the image more 'real'. Black and white is good when the background detracts attention from the subject, such as a person against a red background. Do you have a color version?

cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 30, 2011 15:15 as a reply to  @ cmh512's post |  #5

Luckily, the EXIF data is there. ;)

Shot at 1/60 second. Was it handheld? With a 92mm focal length on the lens, this is a bit on the slow side (if you didn't use a tripod). As a rule of thumb, use the reciprocal of the focal length as the slowest handheld shot. (for example: for a 100mm focal length, shoot at 1/100 second or faster).

Aperture: f/5.6. You can see that even with that aperture, that the depth of field is still quite shallow.

Wrong? Nothing. And, you let a sleeping dog lie. [Unless the flash woke him up.]

We'll be looking for more.

dave

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,482 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Dec 30, 2011 15:20 |  #6

Why black and white? With that lens....you might want to stop it down to f/8 to get a reasonable degree of sharpness.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,170 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Dec 30, 2011 15:32 as a reply to  @ cpam.pix's post |  #7

Well, it's a little soft around the eye, which is where you want to focus. I see that you were in portrait mode, does that work like full auto and insist on having all the focus points active? If so, you can't be sure where the camera is going to decide to focus as you are letting it decide where is most important and it won't recognise the subject or that it should lock onto an eye. If you use single point AF, and place it over the eye, you should get focus where it is needed.

1/60th is fine at 92mm, so long as you have the IS turned on and the subject isn't moving significantly. That old rule of thumb is just a guide and was written long before IS was invented.

Did you shoot this in colour or b&w? You can generally get a better b&w image by shooting in colour and then using the colour channels to adjust the image (after turning down the saturation). Shooting it in b&w throws away all the colour information and gives you much less options when editing.

cpam.pix
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 30, 2011 15:43 |  #8

sandpiper wrote in post #13621717 (external link)
[Snip]
1/60th is fine at 92mm, so long as you have the IS turned on and the subject isn't moving significantly. That old rule of thumb is just a guide and was written long before IS was invented.
[Snip]

Good points.

1D-III with stuff to stick on it:
70-200L, 28-70L, 24-105L, 300L, 50, 10-17 fish, 2.0x TC
Image editing OK, encouraged, and expected. Thank you for helping me learn!

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 30, 2011 15:53 |  #9

cmh512 wrote in post #13621602 (external link)
What you did wrong is to not post the EXIF info on the shot so people can give advice.

Actually, he did nothing wrong. cmh512, I suggest you use the Firefox Exif Viewer. All you have to do is right clic on an image and select Exif Viewer and there you go : EXIF DATA.

cpam.pix wrote in post #13621640 (external link)
Luckily, the EXIF data is there. ;)

Shot at 1/60 second. Was it handheld? With a 92mm focal length on the lens, this is a bit on the slow side (if you didn't use a tripod). As a rule of thumb, use the reciprocal of the focal length as the slowest handheld shot. (for example: for a 100mm focal length, shoot at 1/100 second or faster).

Aperture: f/5.6. You can see that even with that aperture, that the depth of field is still quite shallow.

Wrong? Nothing. And, you let a sleeping dog lie. [Unless the flash woke him up.]

We'll be looking for more.

dave

Great advice from Dave

sandpiper wrote in post #13621717 (external link)
Well, it's a little soft around the eye, which is where you want to focus. I see that you were in portrait mode, does that work like full auto and insist on having all the focus points active? If so, you can't be sure where the camera is going to decide to focus as you are letting it decide where is most important and it won't recognize the subject or that it should lock onto an eye. If you use single point AF, and place it over the eye, you should get focus where it is needed.

Did you shoot this in color or b&w? You can generally get a better b&w image by shooting in color and then using the color channels to adjust the image (after turning down the saturation). Shooting it in b&w throws away all the color information and gives you much less options when editing.

Great advice from Sandpiper.

Basically, just keep shooting and you will learn. As mentioned above, always shoot in color and then process to B&W. You can always convert a colored image to B&W but you will have a very hard time converting a B&W image to color, it will take hours.

Try working with different apertures, you will get nice depth of field (also known on these forums as DOF). Try taking the pictures at angles not normally viewed on a daily basis, it gives a different perspective and it can be very attractive to the eye.

Welcome to the forums. And....don't ever let anyone tell you what you are doing is wrong...unless you are hurting anyone or anything or breaking a law. Imagine if someone told Picasso what he was doing was wrong...

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,252 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Dec 30, 2011 16:02 |  #10

cpam.pix wrote in post #13621640 (external link)
Shot at 1/60 second. Was it handheld? With a 92mm focal length on the lens, this is a bit on the slow side (if you didn't use a tripod). As a rule of thumb, use the reciprocal of the focal length as the slowest handheld shot. (for example: for a 100mm focal length, shoot at 1/100 second or faster)...

Why...Seriously?
It's not a hard and fast "rule" as some people seem to make it out to be.
There's no visible or obvious camera shake so it wasn't needed in this shot.
Use whatever shutter speed you want on whatever focal length with whatever lens you like if you've got a steady hand.

Nice looking dog.
What is it? Looks like a Blue/Red Heeler (Australian Cattle Dog)

Regards, Phil
2013/14 CAMS Gold Accredited Photographer | 2010 & 2011 V8 Supercars Aust. Accredited Photographer | 2008, '09, '10 South Aus. Rally Photographer of the Year | Catch Fence Photos - 2009 Photo of the Year (external link)Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office" | www.freewebs.com/philw​illmedia (external link)

cmh512
221 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 30, 2011 18:39 |  #11

Joe.Recon wrote in post #13621807 (external link)
Actually, he did nothing wrong. cmh512, I suggest you use the Firefox Exif Viewer. All you have to do is right clic on an image and select Exif Viewer and there you go : EXIF DATA.

I stand corrected. I didn't know I had to install an Exif Viewer plug in. I now have it and see the exif info. Thanks!

T3i, 18-55, EFS 10-22, 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS. Fuji XT-1, 18-55 F2-4.
flickr (external link)

JM45ACP
THREAD ­ STARTER
660 posts
Gallery: 39 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 30, 2011 21:36 as a reply to  @ cmh512's post |  #12

Thanks I downloaded the Firefox viewer shows all the info.Ill try the suggestions mentioned. The dog is a Blue Heeler mix (shelter told me it was Blue Heeler/Corgie)
Thanks again
John

John
7D Mark II==7D == EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM == EF 100mm f/2.8LMacro==70-200mm f2.8L IS II USM == EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM UD == EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM==Speedlite 430 EX II == Benro A1980F Tripod W/ Opteka GH1 Gimbal Head==Manfrotto Monopods 680B==294-4==Various Cables Wireless Triggers and Other Stuff== PHOTO EDITING OK

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 30, 2011 22:32 |  #13

cmh512 wrote in post #13622508 (external link)
I stand corrected. I didn't know I had to install an Exif Viewer plug in. I now have it and see the exif info. Thanks!

No problem

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

sponsored links

1,791 views & 0 likes for this thread
New DSLR User ( Let Me Know What I Did Wrong)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.