Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 29 Dec 2011 (Thursday) 18:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Real Estate photography

Joe.Recon
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 29, 2011 18:18 |  #1

Hi,

I need advice ! I have been doing some real estate photography lately as I am learning portrait, candid and sports photography. Real estate photography has helped my pay for all my gear...I can't complain !

My question is this: I am working on my website and want to post a portfolio of Real Estate photography that I have done. I work with three RE agents and their clients have houses with prices that range from 160000$ to 2.4 million. My "bread & butter" is houses in the 250000$ to 500000$ range. Should my portfolio only show images of high end houses or should it show images of all price ranges ? I don't want to scare away RE agents that only sell the mid range houses as they are the ones with the most activity. But, at the same time, I don't want to show images of lower end houses as they are not always the most appealing.

Thank you for your advice.

*PS: I would love to hear from any RE Photographers out there !

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

sponsored links
impact_blu
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Dec 29, 2011 18:30 |  #2

I would show your best shots, regardless of what the price range is. There is a thread dedicated to RE photography somewhere on here.

bcd01
Goldmember
2,428 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Dec 29, 2011 18:33 |  #3

impact_blu wrote in post #13617336 (external link)
I would show your best shots, regardless of what the price range is. There is a thread dedicated to RE photography somewhere on here.

ditto

bcd01 - devices of enjoyment list :D

Joe.Recon
THREAD ­ STARTER
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 29, 2011 18:58 |  #4

That's what i was thinking also. Thank you both of you !

Canon 5D MkIII powered through the following Canon lenses: 16-35 f2.8 L MkII, 24-70 f2.8 L MkII, 70-200 f2.8 L MkII, 17mm TS-E f4 L, 24mm TS-E f2.8 L MkII and 85mm f1.2 L MkII.
Feedback

Ronny ­ Geenen
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 30, 2011 00:01 |  #5

Joe.Recon wrote in post #13617286 (external link)
Hi,

I need advice ! I have been doing some real estate photography lately as I am learning portrait, candid and sports photography. Real estate photography has helped my pay for all my gear...I can't complain !

My question is this: I am working on my website and want to post a portfolio of Real Estate photography that I have done. I work with three RE agents and their clients have houses with prices that range from 160000$ to 2.4 million. My "bread & butter" is houses in the 250000$ to 500000$ range. Should my portfolio only show images of high end houses or should it show images of all price ranges ? I don't want to scare away RE agents that only sell the mid range houses as they are the ones with the most activity. But, at the same time, I don't want to show images of lower end houses as they are not always the most appealing.

Thank you for your advice.

*PS: I would love to hear from any RE Photographers out there !

Photographers who have an interest in Real Estate photography have a future.
Because of the internet people interested in buying or even selling are browsing the net and the first thing they look at is pictures.
It is also a fact that Realtors can not take pictures. Any person with photography as a hobby and who has a decent wide angle lens will take better pictures.
I have 25 years Real Estate experience and have also an engineering background.

Here are a few tips.

Tell the Realtor and/or owner the time and day you will come by and take the pictures.
That give them time to clean and stage that home. At least half of the homes on the market has been lived by families with children. Hide dirty laundry, close closets, close the toilet seats, clean the kitchen and sink, hide newspapers and magazines, turn TV off, turn all the lights on, close the garage door and move the cars from the driveway, water the lawn and plants, clean the driveway, and so on.

As a photographer ask the Realtor to walk you through the house and tell the agent what you like and not, meanwhile start adjusting the lights coming from outside in by playing with the drapes and or blinds.
Also walk around the backyard and site of the house.

Get your gear and start preparing your shoot. I use most of the time the Canon 10-22mm zoom, add the 430EXII flash and a monopod to my 40D. The walk around gives you an idea how and where to start. Remember shoppers on the internet want to have an idea how the flow of your house is.

Start taking pictures from the side front of the home to give it some depth. When the front is in a dark shaded area, use a flash, but reduce it with about two stops.
Take a closer picture from the front door. Do the same from the inside, a picture from the hall and front door. Follow the flow of that house. I often use also bracketing with 2 stops minus and plus and AV settings. Take pictures from every room and keep your camera and lens horizontal. Try to keep the walls and windows vertical and not skewed when you shoot with say 12mm wide.

For an average home of 1500 to 18oo sq ft with 3 to 4 bedrooms and two bath I mostly end up with about 80 to 90 pictures. Our MLS lets the Realtor to upload up to 35 pictures per home. That means, after selecting and some corrections I give that agent a cd with 35 pictures. If you do not have 35 pictures, take a picture from the street and street name, a neighborhood school and/or shopping center.

TheBrick3
Goldmember
2,094 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Dec 30, 2011 00:27 |  #6

Do you do it with a 1D IV and 24-70 combo? Just curious, because that's not a terribly wide angle.

1D III 5D II 5D | 580 EX II x 2
17-40L | 35L | 100L | 70-200 II | 17-35 f/2.8-f/4
Website (external link)

GadgetRick
Goldmember
1,081 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Dec 30, 2011 06:25 as a reply to  @ TheBrick3's post |  #7

Post your best photos. Doesn't matter how expensive the house is.

Good luck.

Joe.Recon
THREAD ­ STARTER
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 30, 2011 07:38 |  #8

Ronny Geenen wrote in post #13618721 (external link)
Because of the internet people interested in buying or even selling are browsing the net and the first thing they look at is pictures.
It is also a fact that Realtors can not take pictures. Any person with photography as a hobby and who has a decent wide angle lens will take better pictures.

Here are a few tips.

Tell the Realtor and/or owner the time and day you will come by and take the pictures.
That give them time to clean and stage that home. At least half of the homes on the market has been lived by families with children. Hide dirty laundry, close closets, close the toilet seats, clean the kitchen and sink, hide newspapers and magazines, turn TV off, turn all the lights on, close the garage door and move the cars from the driveway, water the lawn and plants, clean the driveway, and so on.

As a photographer ask the Realtor to walk you through the house and tell the agent what you like and not, meanwhile start adjusting the lights coming from outside in by playing with the drapes and or blinds.

Get your gear and start preparing your shoot. I use most of the time the Canon 10-22mm zoom, add the 430EXII flash and a monopod to my 40D. The walk around gives you an idea how and where to start. Remember shoppers on the internet want to have an idea how the flow of your house is.

Start taking pictures from the side front of the home to give it some depth. When the front is in a dark shaded area, use a flash, but reduce it with about two stops.
Take a closer picture from the front door. Do the same from the inside, a picture from the hall and front door. Follow the flow of that house. I often use also bracketing with 2 stops minus and plus and AV settings. Take pictures from every room and keep your camera and lens horizontal. Try to keep the walls and windows vertical and not skewed when you shoot with say 12mm wide.

For an average home of 1500 to 18oo sq ft with 3 to 4 bedrooms and two bath I mostly end up with about 80 to 90 pictures. Our MLS lets the Realtor to upload up to 35 pictures per home. That means, after selecting and some corrections I give that agent a cd with 35 pictures. If you do not have 35 pictures, take a picture from the street and street name, a neighborhood school and/or shopping center.

Thank you for the advice Ronney.

TheBrick3 wrote in post #13618792 (external link)
Do you do it with a 1D IV and 24-70 combo? Just curious, because that's not a terribly wide angle.

The 24-70 is not wide enough for interiors. My 1DMk4 has a 1.3 crop on it so you have to multiply that 24 x 1.3. I use it for some exteriors only. I always use the Tokina 11-16 for interiors.

Feedback

Joe.Recon
THREAD ­ STARTER
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 30, 2011 07:40 |  #9

GadgetRick wrote in post #13619470 (external link)
Post your best photos. Doesn't matter how expensive the house is.

Good luck.

Roger that ! Thank you.

Feedback

Ronny ­ Geenen
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 30, 2011 10:47 |  #10

TheBrick3 wrote in post #13618792 (external link)

No, I have a 40D and the Canon 10-22mm wide.
Cheers

nccb
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Dec 31, 2011 21:22 |  #11

Ronny Geenen wrote in post #13618721 (external link)

Here are a few tips.

Some follow up questions...

-how long does your typical shoot take?
-How (much) do you price your work? Square footage? # of Rooms? Your time? It's easy to compare family portrait pricing but I haven't seen any for RE photogs.
-Word of mouth the best way to get started? Knowing someone? Do you work directly with agents, or larger broker houses?

5D3 | 24-105mm L | 85mm 1.8

Joe.Recon
THREAD ­ STARTER
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 31, 2011 22:40 |  #12

nccb wrote in post #13627536 (external link)
Some follow up questions...

-how long does your typical shoot take?
-How (much) do you price your work? Square footage? # of Rooms? Your time? It's easy to compare family portrait pricing but I haven't seen any for RE photogs.
-Word of mouth the best way to get started? Knowing someone? Do you work directly with agents, or larger broker houses?

1- 45 minutes to 90 minutes
2- 80$ for under 2000 s/f, 110$ for 2000-3000 s/f, 150$ for 3000 and over
3- started out with word of mouth and work with agents only.

Feedback

Ronny ­ Geenen
125 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 31, 2011 22:59 |  #13

Joe.Recon wrote in post #13627758 (external link)

To market myself I started in the office I have my RE license and did some small homes and condos for $50. Then I did homes for $70. Now I do homes for Realtors of other offices for $90, but they have to be in a radius of 6 miles. Beyond that I ask $10 more.
My time spent is about the same as mentioned aqbove.

Joe.Recon
THREAD ­ STARTER
674 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 31, 2011 23:43 |  #14

There are new photography services specially designed for R/E agents in my area and they charge 75$ per house, render 65 photos and offer to host the photographs on their server and supply a website for it, such as www.123jumpstreet.com (external link)

It's hard to compete with that...but my images are far better than theirs as mine are exposure blending and hdr. Theirs are not. But it's so less trouble for the agents as they don't have to worry about the hosting, image transfers and so on.

I have to find a better solution for the agents...or wait until they notice that the pictures from those companies are really bad.

Feedback

Gatorboy
Goldmember
2,483 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 07, 2012 19:56 |  #15

Joe.Recon wrote in post #13627758 (external link)

You are not charging enough. $150 should be your minimum.

This blog post may help you out:
http://photographyforr​ealestate.net …shoot-you-have-a-problem/ (external link)

Dave Hoffmann

sponsored links

2,227 views & 0 likes for this thread
Real Estate photography
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.