Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 02 Jan 2012 (Monday) 06:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

High-Key portrait advice

Qbx
Goldmember
3,958 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 02, 2012 06:48 |  #1

This is a crop of a model who was holding a translucent drape that was lit from behind and another light providing some direct light from camera right. The first image is SOOC; it shows a heavy right shift in the histogram. The second image is my attempt at editing it. This was a real challenge. I'd like any advice on how to shoot and how to process these kinds of shots. Also any other takes from the original are welcome.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

sponsored links
SimpleJack
839 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 02, 2012 07:20 |  #2

Well the facial expression is weird. the color is not looking right to me at all. she needs to wax under her arms are you can just edit that out.

Canon PowerShot S100

Bond_Savingsbond
893 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 02, 2012 08:58 as a reply to  @ SimpleJack's post |  #3

I have not tried high key lighting myself but I found two videos that might be helpful for your two light set up.

Search for "Digital Photography 1 on 1: Episode 42: High Key & Low Key Lighting: Adorama Photography TV" on youtube starts at the 4:00 mark. Although this involves 2 strobes and 2 modeling lights, it might help. You can probably find hotlights at a home Depot.

It is possible to use just one light for high-key I believe. On Zack Arias' DVD he shows how to give high-key.

"OneLight DVD Disc 1 - Sample Montage" @ 2:37 mark. He placed a barebulb Sunpack light just behind the model.

I guess once the high key issue is resolved then move on to the fabric.

500px (external link)
My website (external link)
CAMTOGRAPHY (external link)
Fuji X-T2, xf18-55, Samyang 135 (heavy), Nikon 105(dirty), Vivitar 75-205, Helios 56(Fixed),Pentax 50 F1.9 (dirty)

mblobster
42 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 02, 2012 09:41 |  #4

have a white paper background, put two flashes pointed on the background, have the model stand forward of the flashes such that she is not lit up by the flashes. then add another flash with a light modifier like an umbrella or octobox, use that to light up your model, adjust your flash power as necessary

joedlh
Cream of the Crop
5,328 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Location: Long Island, NY, N. America, Sol III, Orion Spur, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Cluster, Laniakea.

Jan 02, 2012 15:02 as a reply to  @ mblobster's post |  #5

According to the traditional definition of high key, these are not high key. Nor is taking a normally exposed subject against a white background. High key is a greatly overexposed shot. The histogram should be quite narrow and very far to the right. It's one of those terms that has been incorrectly overused.

Joe
Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now. :rolleyes:
http://photo.joedlh.ne​t (external link)
Editing ok

windpig
Chopped liver
14,944 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 02, 2012 15:24 |  #6

High key is where most of the tones are above middle gray.

Would you like to buy a vowel?
Go ahead, spin the wheel.
flickr (external link)
I'm accross the canal just south of Ballard, the town Seattle usurped in 1907.

Qbx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,958 posts
Gallery: 49 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 02, 2012 23:38 |  #7

Thanks to all that responded with good advice. I will check the links.
The histogram of her face suggests to me that this is indeed a high-key shot - although poorly done I'll admit. I guess I need more frontal light. There was a large softbox behind her aimed directly at her. Would a paper bg lit by strobes be any different?

HOSTED PHOTO

-- Image Editing OK --

sponsored links

1,363 views & 0 likes for this thread
High-Key portrait advice
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.