Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 01 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 12:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Abstract beach shot - long exposure

rusty.jg
855 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 01, 2012 12:50 |  #1

Hi all,

My photography is gradually moving to a more abstract feel at the moment. Here is a long exposure taken on a wintery beach in Southern England. I was aiming to capture the bleak, rather empty nature of the beach. By chance really the approaching wave slid around the rock but the foam didn't join on the other side before it retreated. Because it didn't join it looks a little like a shadow cast by a light source but it isn't - however I did want to kind of use that as a bit of a main focus point. I have also only sharpened the stone to a heavy extent to provide a point of detail and possibly to bring people in closer to study it.
I have enhanced and slightly colourized (with white balance) the background foam as it slides over the sand.

Anyway, let me know what you think - I am primarily creating work such as this to be printed medium size (A2/A3 size).
My first post in this forum as I think its time I started to get some feedback as to what is potentially interesting or a dead-end:D

Cheers.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

to be OR NOT to be = 1 (which is "to be" so that one's cleared up at last ;-)a)
www.VividCornwall.co.u​k (external link) (external link)
Sony Nex-5n (x2) / Metabones EF-NEX Smart Adapter / Canon 10-22mm / Canon 100mm Macro / Sigma 18-50mm

sponsored links
chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 01, 2012 17:01 |  #2

Some sky might have helped and slower SS.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 02, 2012 03:05 |  #3

rusty.jg wrote in post #13629599 (external link)
Because it didn't join it looks a little like a shadow cast by a light source but it isn't - however I did want to kind of use that as a bit of a main focus point.

It did look like a shadow until I read your explanation.

Anyway, if you want to the viewer to focus there, what do you think about cropping it vertically, removing some of the non-"shadow"-containing empty beach?

Another way to make the "shadow" stand out more is to desaturate the rest of the photo so the green and blue hues are gone.
(However, I actually like the blue in the foreground. Maybe just the green from the background?)

???

Above water: 7D | 400D | 10-22 | 17-55IS | 15-85IS | 85/1.8 | 100L IS | 70-200/4L IS | 70-300IS | 100-400L | 580EX II
Underwater: S95 + WP-DC38 + dual dive lights | Olympus OM-D E-M5 (await housing)
Full Gear List
Need/Want: More time for photography (And some talent would be nice.... :lol:)

rusty.jg
THREAD ­ STARTER
855 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 02, 2012 09:14 as a reply to  @ RetroBlader's post |  #4

Like the idea of cropping to a portrait to align the frame with the direction of the shadow - I'll give that a go. As for the colours, I did actually choose the yellow/green primarily because there was blue in the foreground and I wanted a complimenting colour to go with it. I am trying to create and mix pastel colours into my work but I think in this case it probably was not necessary and an example of doing something for the sake of it. I had already desaturated the entire photo almost as it was a heavy blue throughout.

As for displaying some sky I did think about it. Only thing is, the sky was pretty much overcast and completely grey so no real value-add there. The only thing it would have done was introduce a horizon line. I decided not to do that as I don't think a horizon would add anything to my intent for the image. I wanted all focus on the stone and then a bit of a discovery of the patterns created by the foam. Having a horizon would pull the center of gravity (if you like) away from the focus point and edge it towards a classic landscape image which I didn't want.

I must admit I didn't investigate varying speeds. I will try several more attempts next time each with varying lengths. Unfortunately I had no filters with me so I was somewhat limited to the shutter I could have. The image above was at 4 seconds which is all I could manage with just the lens. Thanks for the comments guys.

to be OR NOT to be = 1 (which is "to be" so that one's cleared up at last ;-)a)
www.VividCornwall.co.u​k (external link) (external link)
Sony Nex-5n (x2) / Metabones EF-NEX Smart Adapter / Canon 10-22mm / Canon 100mm Macro / Sigma 18-50mm

mblobster
42 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 02, 2012 09:46 |  #5

whats the focal point of the pic?

RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 02, 2012 12:44 |  #6

rusty.jg wrote in post #13633436 (external link)
As for displaying some sky I did think about it. Only thing is, the sky was pretty much overcast and completely grey so no real value-add there. The only thing it would have done was introduce a horizon line. I decided not to do that as I don't think a horizon would add anything to my intent for the image. I wanted all focus on the stone and then a bit of a discovery of the patterns created by the foam. Having a horizon would pull the center of gravity (if you like) away from the focus point and edge it towards a classic landscape image which I didn't want.

Don't include a horizon, because then viewers will instantaneously be prompted that this is meant to be a landscape shot, and I'm sorry, but this will make a very boring landscape shot.

As you said in opening, this photo has more strength as an abstract display of shapes, curves and lines. Having a horizon will definitely make it less abstract (and less strong as an image).....

:cool:

Above water: 7D | 400D | 10-22 | 17-55IS | 15-85IS | 85/1.8 | 100L IS | 70-200/4L IS | 70-300IS | 100-400L | 580EX II
Underwater: S95 + WP-DC38 + dual dive lights | Olympus OM-D E-M5 (await housing)
Full Gear List
Need/Want: More time for photography (And some talent would be nice.... :lol:)

sponsored links

1,581 views & 0 likes for this thread
Abstract beach shot - long exposure
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.