Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 13 Jan 2005 (Thursday) 08:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

STICKY: Photography Books

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 17, 2011 05:39 |  #346

ShootaBike wrote in post #13411963 (external link)
Having read "Understanding Exposure" I have to say I really like his writting, but the approach is somewhat limiting.

What I mean is the book tells us how he got an awful lot of shots in various situations, but as you grow you need to formulate your own thinking process and not replicate the decisions of someone else. So, for me, there's a step missing here.

It's a great reading for anyone, but advanced readers will need extra help to get going...

i think that is what makes his book perfect.
after all it's really a beginners book
for some in the beginning too much information is daunting
and the fact that it is one of the most read/purchased/downloa​ded books on "understanding exposure" says it all....on photography for that matter

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

sponsored links
ShootaBike
337 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Nov 18, 2011 02:26 |  #347

You-by-Lou wrote in post #13412144 (external link)
i think that is what makes his book perfect.
after all it's really a beginners book
for some in the beginning too much information is daunting
and the fact that it is one of the most read/purchased/downloa​ded books on "understanding exposure" says it all....on photography for that matter

Well, I agree with you!

I guess the mistake is all mine since I read it at a stage I already had enough experience of my own...

I really liked some of the examples and found some tips cool. I tried the "sky brother" tip with success and I also found his advice on measuring the green stuff and then compensate to get the face right, spot on.

It's an enjoyable reading as well, which is not the case with other photography books I've read.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a book to improve my portreture skills?

I need something to expand my horizons and better my technique. Especially lighting use...

Canon EOS 7D | Canon 580EX II | Metz Mecablitz 58 AF1 | Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM | Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM |Yongnuo YN-622C | Lots to learn...
Lowepro S&F Modular Carrying System | Naneu Pro Military Ops - Bravo Backpack
C μ on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/shootabike/ (external link)

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
1,691 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Nov 21, 2011 15:30 |  #348

ShootaBike wrote in post #13416416 (external link)
Well, I agree with you!

I guess the mistake is all mine since I read it at a stage I already had enough experience of my own...

I really liked some of the examples and found some tips cool. I tried the "sky brother" tip with success and I also found his advice on measuring the green stuff and then compensate to get the face right, spot on.

It's an enjoyable reading as well, which is not the case with other photography books I've read.

Does anyone have a suggestion for a book to improve my portreture skills?

I need something to expand my horizons and better my technique. Especially lighting use...

whilst I've not read....maybe Scott Kelby's 2&3? 1 was really good. his style is simple......do this etc. works for me the none technical type

other than that ......Practice! that's the book i'm working on.

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
6,495 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Dec 01, 2011 10:40 |  #349

I just recently got Understanding Exposure last week and must say I am a bit dissapointed so far. There are a few nice tips/tricks here and there, but it really just tells me stuff I already know (for beginners would be great).

I HATE how he stresses f/22 so much. 80% of all the photos in his book are at f/22... And f/11 and f/13 are his "who cares" apertures. Really? I see f/5.6 or f/8 as a "who cares aperture", but f/11 or f/13? And he stresses using "Cloudy" setting for WB all the time. I dunno...

Some weird quirks I do not care for so much. About halfway through the book, hoping the second half gets a bit more useful.

Don't get me wrong a great book for somebody starting out... But for me, it may be a bit too basic. It was only $17 or something, I plan to just sell it when im done and get most of my money back lol

-Steve
Facebook (external link)
Flickr (external link)

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Dec 02, 2011 09:35 as a reply to  @ Invertalon's post |  #350

I read Annie Liebovitz's new book Pilgrimage last night. Loved it but the mingling of text and photos is poorly designed. But, my gosh, the photos are stunning! And best of all, the book was on sale, I had a coupon and B&N membership points, got the book at a very, very good price.

Anyway, I recommend it.

koolkarear
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Dec 06, 2011 20:49 as a reply to  @ post 416652 |  #351

Hello, This is my first reply. But I was caught here when you said you were new as well. Also looking forward to getting into my digital photography. I have been using a Lumix. I really like it for it seems to think for me. Which for now I need.

www.herestoolife.com (external link)
Linda

KarlGB77
556 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 26, 2011 20:15 |  #352

Looking for some comments on photography books.
Digital Exposure Handbook by Hoddinott.

The Complete Guide to Light & Lighting in Digital Photography by Freeman

Basics Photography 02 Lighting by Prakel

Digital Landscape Photography: In the Footsteps of Ansel Adams and the Masters by Frye

Just curious what you think about these if you have come across.

Thanks
Karl

Canon 5D Mark III, 5D Mark II, T2i (2), 24-105 f4LIS, 17-40 f4L, 70-200f4L IS, 70-200 2.8L IS II, 100 2.8, 85 1.8, 50 1.4, 50 1.8, 15-85 f4-5.6 IS, 60 2.8, 18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 430 EX II, 580 EX II, Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod w/ 498RC2, Calumet 8121 Tripod, Manfrotto 679B Monopod w/ 234 RC2 head

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
15,894 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Dec 26, 2011 20:23 |  #353

Glad I was finally shown this thread! I have a lot to read now! Both IN the thread and the books recommended!

[Gear List | Flickr (external link) | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection (external link) /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

mblobster
42 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 02, 2012 09:58 |  #354

thanks for a great reference

S.n.a.f.u.
Goldmember
2,769 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 05, 2012 13:45 |  #355

I been looking for a book that covers in-depth info on histograms and Filters can anyone thing of a good book that would cover this info sufficiently ?

also is the scott kelby trilogy really that great of an investment? or are the bryan peterson books comparable? I've a gift card that would cover the 3 volume set from amazon and just not wanting to spend the money if there is tons of over lap or is his style and explanations worth the investment?

thanks for the input.

I'm Russ. Gear List
Life is too short to drink bad wine
-ching chai
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately it kills all pupils
-Louis Hector Berlioz

JersFocus
572 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 08, 2012 03:09 |  #356

Thanks, this should get me started!

Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites
Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera
Digital Photographers Handbook
Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Volumes 1, 2, and 3

bw!

Gear & Feedback
Go Oilers!

sweetpea44
289 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 10, 2012 20:37 as a reply to  @ JersFocus's post |  #357

Just picked up 'Understanding Exposure' - thanks for the recommendations

My Blog (external link) My Flickr (external link)
T3i // Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM // Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non VC // Canon 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS // Canon 50mm 1.8 II // 430ex :cool:

photogdesign
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 12, 2012 11:14 as a reply to  @ sweetpea44's post |  #358

Hi!
I just recently came across this e-book filled with good tricks. It has changed my point of view on making special camera effects.

Look at the official page of this e-book on the link in my signature.

bw!

E-book on photography, full of tips & tricks:
Trick Photography And Special Effects E-book (external link)

DeejayKnight
172 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 12, 2012 23:36 |  #359

JerInCanada wrote in post #13666512 (external link)
Scott Kelby's Digital Photography Boxed Set, Volumes 1, 2, and 3

I have this full series and LOVE them! I'm going to flip through them again just because of this thread!

JerInCanada wrote in post #13666512 (external link)
Understanding Exposure, 3rd Edition: How to Shoot Great Photographs with Any Camera

I've heard far too many suggestions for this book to not pick it up. It's going to be my next book purchase. Thanks for the reminder!

D'Juan
Flickr (external link) | djuanDesign Photography (external link) | djuanDesign on Facebook (external link) | 500px (external link) | ModelMayhem (external link)
Gear List: Canon Rebel T1i/500D, Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS, Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II

DesertBlooms
66 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 16, 2012 11:44 |  #360

I just recently picked up and am almost finished reading "Photographically Speaking: A Deeper Look at Creating Stronger Images" by David duChemin. I highly recommend it, it's already changed the way I look at making photos. I'm a very visual learner and really like the last section of the book, where he takes 20 of his photos and breaks them down, using the concepts and terminology discussed in earlier chapters. The author has a few other titles I'll be checking out in the future.

sponsored links

282,014 views & 7 likes for this thread
Photography Books
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.