Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 12 Dec 2011 (Monday) 22:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need Free Web Hosting site

Tim ­ S
Goldmember
1,488 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 01, 2012 20:50 |  #31

tim wrote in post #13557237 (external link)
If you're just testing why do you need it on the internet? Just install apache on your own computer. Or if it's a PHP site use WAMP (windows) or MAMP (mac).

The reason for not having a free site with ads is two fold:
- it's not very professional, having big flashing ads on your website

- some less reputable ad servers are full of spyware and trojans

And you have no control over the content of the ads....think worst case scenarios.

Tim
Equipment

sponsored links
toastyphoto
302 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 01, 2012 22:53 |  #32

Tim S wrote in post #13631450 (external link)
And you have no control over the content of the ads....think worst case scenarios.

Not to mention the ads served will probably be for your competition. ;)

5D II | 24-70 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 50 1.4 | 430 EX II x2 | PW ControlTL

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jan 02, 2012 02:57 |  #33

nccb wrote in post #13631223 (external link)
...what he said...

Are you technically inclined? If so, you can (for free) download VMware player, a linux OS image, and get your website up & running using a LAMP stack (linux, apache, mysql, php) on a VM (which won't affect your current system or require a new one) and completely testable right on your machine. Get it just right, then upload to your host of choice when you are ready to pay.

If this is too technical for you, then, well... you may need to pay $5/mo. I've always liked Site5 ( http://www.site5.com/ (external link) ) . they have a 30 day free trial.

chances are you'll pay more than $5 per month in added electricity to keep a server up and running 24/7 ;)

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

nccb
425 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 02, 2012 11:23 |  #34

JacobPhoto wrote in post #13632645 (external link)
chances are you'll pay more than $5 per month in added electricity to keep a server up and running 24/7 ;)

Agreed - very true - then there's backup, etc. But I was just suggesting he do this as a temporary thing on his own existing PC until he made the transition.

5D3 | 24-105mm L | 85mm 1.8

rhommel
187 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 02, 2012 13:12 |  #35

JacobPhoto wrote in post #13632645 (external link)

dunno about that, chances are, his machine's already been running 24/7 anyway.... might as well put it to good use :)

Don't Click This (external link)

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 02, 2012 13:19 |  #36

rhommel wrote in post #13634571 (external link)
dunno about that, chances are, his machine's already been running 24/7 anyway.... might as well put it to good use :)

Will his regular net connection be able to handle the load of hits to his computer as a web server?

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Jan 02, 2012 14:47 |  #37

kjonnnn wrote in post #13634608 (external link)
Will his regular net connection be able to handle the load of hits to his computer as a web server?

As long as he has a decent one. It's not like he's going to get Amazon traffic.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

alexcaro
118 posts
Joined Aug 2011

Jan 02, 2012 18:39 |  #38

You guys are funny...

Try wordpress, it's free and once you are ready you can upgrade and pay for more options/layouts. Also look into ipage, have used them for two different host with zero issues and pretty cheap. My boss just got hosting with them for $1 for his first year, $6.month after, of course does not include domain and a few premium options. No everyone needs cheese on their hamburgers.

5d MKii : Canon 17-40mm L : Canon 35mm L : Canon 135mm L : Canon 200mm II L : Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro : Sigma 50mm f1.4 : Sigma 85mm f1.4 :

Brandon_Hall
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 02, 2012 21:35 |  #39

I use www.Weebly.com (external link) I love it and its free
my site is here
www.hallandphotography​.weebly.com (external link)

Canon t2i
50mm 1.4
50-200mm f/4 L USM
430ex II

adilh
468 posts
Joined May 2011

Jan 03, 2012 12:30 |  #40

Try, it's free....I've used them before for some forums and such that I made...when my websites got big, I had to upgrade to Premium....
http://www.000webhost.​com/ (external link)

you've got a lot of suggestions here so do what works for you! good luck!

1Ds Mkii | 5DMkii | 50D | 7D |17-40 L|70-200 2.8 IS L |24-70 2.8 L| 50&85 1.8|100 2.8 | & Still Suffering from Gear Acquisition Syndrome
Flick (external link)er|Facebook (external link)]|Adil Photography website (external link)| Feedback1|Feedback2|
Zenfolio 10%off : F18-9FY-CYX

ifeellucky
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 06, 2012 03:07 |  #41

Guys you can get hosting for as cheap as $8-$10 per month and a domain for $5 per year....
If you want to test your website you can get hosting for just 1 cent for one month and test it........
Its better paying few bucks than risking your content, pics and time with free hosting provider :)

sponsored links

4,777 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need Free Web Hosting site
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.