Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 18 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 00:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

OFFICIAL: Canon 1D X announced

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 02, 2012 01:17 |  #2401

jwcdds wrote in post #13632407 (external link)
:lol: I have a feeling the cow doesn't care.

Yeah.. I was going for a conservative estimate with my "dozens". I find myself surrounded by Canon Rebels everywhere I go. Not sure why but I see more women/moms with Canon Rebels than I do with Nikon entry-level cams. I guess Ashton Kutcher advertising is not having as big of an affect.

I've noticed that lately, they don't have AK pushing SLRs anymore...

Guess nobody was buying him as a serious "artiste" huh? :lol:

It is interesting to see how the "basic" level of understanding about photography is moving slowly but inexorably north. I see more and more "soccer moms" taking the time to shepherd the kids into open shade to use the pop up flash instead of blazing away under the noon-time sun with a 15-stop DR.

More and more are also becoming acutely aware of what's behind their subjects and I often see people taking three, four and even five "takes" in order to try to maximize their keeper rate.

This truly isn't your Father's world of photography any more...

Jay
Crosswind Images (external link)
Facebook Fan Page (external link)

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links
jdizzle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 02, 2012 01:24 |  #2402

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #13632418 (external link)
I've noticed that lately, they don't have AK pushing SLRs anymore...

Guess nobody was buying him as a serious "artiste" huh? :lol:

It is interesting to see how the "basic" level of understanding about photography is moving slowly but inexorably north. I see more and more "soccer moms" taking the time to shepherd the kids into open shade to use the pop up flash instead of blazing away under the noon-time sun with a 15-stop DR.

More and more are also becoming acutely aware of what's behind their subjects and I often see people taking three, four and even five "takes" in order to try to maximize their keeper rate.

This truly isn't your Father's world of photography any more...

Hehe! I still see those moms that use flash to capture a jelly fish in those dark aquariums. :p:lol:

jdizzle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 02, 2012 01:27 |  #2403

Jessid9 wrote in post #13632446 (external link)
Gonna get this right when it comes out.

Are you on a preorder list? :)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 02, 2012 01:28 |  #2404

jdizzle wrote in post #13632443 (external link)
Hehe! I still see those moms that use flash to capture a jelly fish in those dark aquariums. :p:lol:

Some aren't quite as smart as the jelly fish but the pendulum is slowly swinging... :lol:

I still see a ton of amateurs who insist on using the "claw" grip though with their left hand. What's up with that? :shock:

Jay

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

jdizzle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Darth Noink
69,419 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 02, 2012 04:14 |  #2405

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #13632451 (external link)
Some aren't quite as smart as the jelly fish but the pendulum is slowly swinging... :lol:

I still see a ton of amateurs who insist on using the "claw" grip though with their left hand. What's up with that? :shock:

Yes, I see too much of that in the wild. :)

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Jan 02, 2012 05:07 as a reply to  @ post 13632407 |  #2406

jwcdds wrote in post #13632363 (external link)
For every "professional" and semi-pro out there, there are probably dozens of "soccer moms" that have bought into owning an entry-DSLR to take photos of their kids.

When we started shooting youth sports in 2005 the SLR was a rarity--Now you can count on dozens of them at any given event.

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #13632383 (external link)
I had this discussion with someone the other day regarding the state of photography because of the "P&S Crowd" (his term) but I reminded him that it's not the folks with point and shoots that have dinged the business. It's the people with higher end gear (often much higher end gear) that (by skill or luck) start to build a presentable portfolio and then fall victim to the "Oh, you should go pro..." feedback loop from friends and family.

Of course, in their hearts, they honestly know they aren't ready so they keep their day jobs and just dabble on the weekends. Having the day job means they can get away with charging little to nothing for their efforts (wash, rinse, puke, repeat...)

Short story long: There are (probably) a surprising number of Lexus driving, Rolex wearing Moms and Dads out there for whom another $500 for a "nice camera" is no sweat. The key (as it is now) is marketing it so they realize that to beat the Joneses, they really need that 3Dx for $2250 instead of the 7DMkII for $1800.

My wife and I are 2 of those, empty nesters with good paying professional jobs complete with benefits and retirement. Why would you give that up to try and scratch out a living in an over saturated market?--take a look at our gear list.

Working for the public school system we have gotten to know all the local PJ's and independents so we refuse to crap in their back yards but have no problem doing a little second shooter or stringer work as time allows.

In the more prosperous areas these parents are already using 7D's and L glass--and some know exactly how to use them.;)

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jan 02, 2012 08:15 |  #2407

I'm on a preorder list for .... :)

jdizzle wrote in post #13632448 (external link)
Are you on a preorder list? :)

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

theviper
615 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 02, 2012 08:53 |  #2408

Originally Posted by theviper
Interested what 1 series bodies you are shooting with now. Also what lenses are you using with them?
All the very best.
Vinny.

Canonswhitelensesrule wrote in post #13621454 (external link)
I do not own any 1-series bodies, as of yet. However I have shot with the 1D Mk III, 1D Mk IV, and also the 1Ds Mk III, and love them all.

I own the Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 lens, the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L lens, and the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 1:1 Macro lens.

I have also used the Canon EF 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon EF 24mm f/3.5L TS-E II, Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L I.S. II, Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L, and Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L I.S. lenses with the aforementioned 1-series bodies.

What any of this has to do with the fact that I love 1-series bodies, or that I want a 1-series body, I have no idea.

A person doesn't need to OWN something to know that they WANT it, or like it.

But whatever. (I apologize if your questions were not meant to be sarcastic. I've been receiving quite a bit of flack recently for my affliction for the 1-series bodies, so I'm just a bit edgy. I mean you no disrespect.)

Well, here is my original message and your reply. Tell me how you got any sarcasm out of my original message? So, I guess anyone can just post something nasty then just put on apology on the bottom to make it ok? I saw your apology before I replied. Just can not for the life of me see how you could ever think what i posted was being sarcastic in any way.
You are seriously paranoid or a troll.
Only watching this thread as I am very interested in buying this camera. Still waiting to hear about how many wireless flash zones it can control on camera......
Vinny.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/vinnyburns/ (external link)
http://www.viperarthou​se.co.uk/ (external link)

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 02, 2012 10:49 |  #2409

Hey, gang, are we having fun:)?

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 02, 2012 10:52 |  #2410

dave kadolph wrote in post #13632848 (external link)
My wife and I are 2 of those, empty nesters with good paying professional jobs complete with benefits and retirement. Why would you give that up to try and scratch out a living in an over saturated market?--take a look at our gear list.

Working for the public school system we have gotten to know all the local PJ's and independents so we refuse to crap in their back yards but have no problem doing a little second shooter or stringer work as time allows.

In the more prosperous areas these parents are already using 7D's and L glass--and some know exactly how to use them.;)

Your second sentence takes you out of the catagory about which I'm talking. There are more and more people "dabbling" in photography who don't hesitate to "crap in the backyard" of other photographers.

It smells bad and leaves the rest covered in sh*t...

Jay

Canonswhitelensesrule
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 02, 2012 12:49 |  #2411

theviper wrote in post #13633340 (external link)
Well, here is my original message and your reply. Tell me how you got any sarcasm out of my original message? So, I guess anyone can just post something nasty then just put on apology on the bottom to make it ok? I saw your apology before I replied. Just can not for the life of me see how you could ever think what i posted was being sarcastic in any way.
You are seriously paranoid or a troll.
Only watching this thread as I am very interested in buying this camera. Still waiting to hear about how many wireless flash zones it can control on camera......
Vinny.

Okay, I guess I was just being paranoid.

As I mentioned, I had previously been sarcastically questioned on a few occasions as to what equipment I own that gives me the right to comment on certain equipment when I don't even own it, and when I first read your question, this is what I thought you were doing as well.

Anyone who had experienced the same thing, would more than likely have had the same initial reaction.

I obviously overreacted, which I now realize.

I don't know what else to say. :confused:

Photographers do it in 1/1,000th of a second...but the memory lasts forever! ;)
"It's only cheating if you get caught!" - Al Bundy
People who THINK they know it all really annoy those of us who DO!

x_tan
Cream of the Crop
8,147 posts
Gallery: 137 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 02, 2012 13:33 |  #2412

? Still no one post any sample shoot :lol::lol::lol:

Canon 5D3 + Zoom (EF 17-40L, 24-105L & 28-300L, 100-400L II) & Prime (24L II, 85L II, 100L, 135L & 200 f/2.8L II; Zeiss 1,4/35)
Sony α7r + Zeiss 1,8/55 FE
Nikon Coolpix A; Nikon F3 & F100 + Zeiss 1,4/50
Retiring  (external link)

solara
620 posts
Joined Feb 2010

Jan 02, 2012 13:35 |  #2413

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #13633946 (external link)
Your second sentence takes you out of the catagory about which I'm talking. There are more and more people "dabbling" in photography who don't hesitate to "crap in the backyard" of other photographers.

It smells bad and leaves the rest covered in sh*t...

Nothing wrong with non-full-time photogs trying to make money on the side (way too much work for the money imo - but then again I'm not very good and need to spend more time post-processing). At least they have their primary job to pay the bills, so they can still enjoy photography without the stress (I am in neither category - just a hobbyist taking pics of my kid/family). As for competition - that's always a good thing. If full-time photogs are not good enough to even compete with part-time photogs, then maybe they should be in a different field - or find a primary job to pay the bills. Just because someone spends all their time doing photography does not mean they're any good and that they should continue to make that their career.

A good photog should be able to produce stunning photos with moderately-priced equipment, so saying that full-time photogs are being cr#pped on by those with high disposable incomes because of their money and equipment is inaccurate since we all know having expensive equipment does not equate to stunning photos (not saying that that's what you're implying).

5D III, 7D | 17-55 f/2.8 | 16-35 f/4 | 24-105 f/4 | 85 f/1.8 | 135 f/2 | 70-200 f/4 IS | 580EX II | YN-560 | Manfrotto 190XPROB+498RC2

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 02, 2012 14:38 |  #2414

solara wrote in post #13634697 (external link)
Nothing wrong with non-full-time photogs trying to make money on the side

Nothing wrong with it at all so long as they're not predatory and they don't work in a "scorched earth" fashion (like some do.)

Failing to work in a professional way goes far beyond simply "take the money and run." Some can't be bothered to follow up in a professional manner and they'll often leave their customers hanging for weeks and even months because they either can't, won't or don't know to devote the time to proper communication (a large part of being "professional.")

At least they have their primary job to pay the bills, so they can still enjoy photography without the stress

As I said above, "free of stress" sometimes means devoid of a sense of responsibility to their clients. Granted, not every part-timer is this way but there are enough that it makes the pages here and we read where clients got burned (not specifically by POTN members)

As for competition - that's always a good thing. If full-time photogs are not good enough to even compete with part-time photogs, then maybe they should be in a different field - or find a primary job to pay the bills. Just because someone spends all their time doing photography does not mean they're any good and that they should continue to make that their career.

I'm all for fair competition but, as is the case even between nations, let alone photographers, the playing field is rarely level. I personally hate the "if you aren't good enough" argument simply because I know I am as good or better than many against whom I "compete" but the reality is that much of it is driven by relationships and "back scratching." This is a time-honored tradition and I'm ok with that aspect but when someone else rolls in to your backyard with money, time, resources or name recognition and pimps my local market, it's damn frustrating.

A good photog should be able to produce stunning photos with moderately-priced equipment, so saying that full-time photogs are being cr#pped on by those with high disposable incomes because of their money and equipment is inaccurate since we all know having expensive equipment does not equate to stunning photos (not saying that that's what you're implying).

Ultimately, it's not about the gear, you're right. But, "better" gear in the hands of an amateur is more likely to accelerate the Blind Pig Theory. A HS Freshman really wanting to get into sports using a 50D and a Sigma 150-500 won't feel pressure from a Mom or Dad with their Rebel and Kit Lens but what about the Mom or Dad with their 1DMkIV + 400mm f/2.8L IS? Is that really fair?

Jay

AzzKicker
Goldmember
1,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003

Jan 02, 2012 16:44 |  #2415

I don't know why but I have a feeling in the future no one will really want to pay $$$ for a expensive pro photographer. I honestly don't even like doing weddings anymore just for the reason that EVERYONE and their MOTHER and SISTERS and DAUGHTERS and Brothers and grandparents have SLR's and big Flashes and they all feel they have a right to be next to you taking pics while you pose your clients. AND NO MATTER what the contract says or how much you STRESS to back the )*)(&()* off they will still do it.

Ruben D. Zamora
Canon 6D Mark II, Canon 20-35L,Genesis 200 Strobe

sponsored links

525,932 views & 0 likes for this thread
OFFICIAL: Canon 1D X announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.