Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Jan 2012 (Monday) 23:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

This lens has (x)elements, and (y) groups...

mafoo
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 02, 2012 23:30 |  #1

Every time I see a lens described, it talkes about the number of elements, and the number of groups.

While I know what that means, I have no idea why I would care. Does anyone use this information for any reason when evaluating a lens?

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

sponsored links
RetroBlader
863 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 03, 2012 00:41 |  #2

mafoo wrote in post #13637455 (external link)
Every time I see a lens described, it talkes about the number of elements, and the number of groups.

While I know what that means, I have no idea why I would care. Does anyone use this information for any reason when evaluating a lens?

Short answer: I don't know, buy maybe someone does.

Longer answer:

Theoretically, the more elements, the more air-glass interfaces, and thus more prone to flare. However, some of the most revered Canon lenses have lots of elements but still delivers amazing results (e.g. the 70-200/2.8L IS II has 23 elements in 19 groups).

For gearheads/lens-geeks who need something to talk about between the announcement of a new lens and its first test report, information about the elements/groups gives them basis for 50 pages of speculation....

:lol:

Above water: 7D | 400D | 10-22 | 17-55IS | 15-85IS | 85/1.8 | 100L IS | 70-200/4L IS | 70-300IS | 100-400L | 580EX II
Underwater: S95 + WP-DC38 + dual dive lights | Olympus OM-D E-M5 (await housing)
Full Gear List
Need/Want: More time for photography (And some talent would be nice.... :lol:)

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,521 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 03, 2012 05:31 |  #3

mafoo wrote in post #13637455 (external link)

It's like knowing how many cylinders are in the engine of your car. What you really might care about can be described by the area under the torque curve, but most car owners seem to know how many cylinders they have.

I guess people like knowing this kind of stuff (and looking at the little section view of the lens) but for the potential user this information doesn't tell you much of anything.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

mafoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 03, 2012 07:35 |  #4

JeffreyG wrote in post #13638210 (external link)
It's like knowing how many cylinders are in the engine of your car.

But if you say a car has 8 cylinders vs 4, I can guess 95% of the time, the 8 cylinder car will get worse gas milage, and have more power from 60-80 mph.

I know how to turn cylinders into rule-of-thumb conclusions about an engine. I have no idea what more elements or more groups means in a lens.

Does it mean less CA, Faster Zoom, Better Lens Flair? Does it mean anything constant at all?

-Jeremy
5D Mk II | SL1 | 24-105 f4.0L IS | 70-200 f2.8L IS | S35 1.4 | 40 2.8 Pancake | Samyang 14 2.8 | 430EX II

bdp23
471 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 03, 2012 07:46 |  #5

RetroBlader wrote in post #13637694 (external link)
Short answer: I don't know, buy maybe someone does.

Longer answer:

Theoretically, the more elements, the more air-glass interfaces, and thus more prone to flare. However, some of the most revered Canon lenses have lots of elements but still delivers amazing results (e.g. the 70-200/2.8L IS II has 23 elements in 19 groups).

For gearheads/lens-geeks who need something to talk about between the announcement of a new lens and its first test report, information about the elements/groups gives them basis for 50 pages of speculation....

:lol:

Yep, no idea why anyone really cares, but it can point to how much was changed when a lens is revised and probably make it easier to find the patents relevant to the new lens which could be interesting reading if you're into that.

I'm not sure about the underlined sentence above.
I think the more groups then the more air-glass interfaces as elements can be sandwiched together to form groups.
Anyway, do some reading on Refractive Index (external link) and Pencil in Water (external link) if you're not already familiar with it, and note that there's a lot more going on in a lens than glass and air. Different types of glass and coatings make a very complex system, (kinda like the minds of the marketing team who think the elements/groups advertising is worth wasting ink on).

I like making photos and sometimes I think I'm getting better... then I realise it doesn't matter. I like making photos!

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 03, 2012 07:51 |  #6

mafoo wrote in post #13638453 (external link)
But if you say a car has 8 cylinders vs 4, I can guess 95% of the time, the 8 cylinder car will get worse gas milage, and have more power from 60-80 mph.

I know how to turn cylinders into rule-of-thumb conclusions about an engine. I have no idea what more elements or more groups means in a lens.

Does it mean less CA, Faster Zoom, Better Lens Flair? Does it mean anything constant at all?

8 cylinder car MIGHT get worse mileage depending on the weights of the cars being compared, the gearing, and the technology the engine uses. it will not only have more power from 60-80 but also from 0-150, especially since the 4 banger will only go 102.

also, the 8 cylinder will have less lens flare than the 4 cylinder.

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

bdp23
471 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 03, 2012 08:09 |  #7

Higgs Boson wrote in post #13638510 (external link)

and twice the number of red rings ;)

I like making photos and sometimes I think I'm getting better... then I realise it doesn't matter. I like making photos!

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,521 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 03, 2012 08:09 |  #8

Maybe my analogy was poor because you actually are reaching incorrect conclusions. In you experience, 8 cylinders are all those things, but this is actually because they are bigger engines in total. The number of cylinders has nothing to do with it.

If equally sized (total displacement), a lower number of cylinders will generally be more efficient.

So back to the lens question, the number of elements doesn't give you any specific information about how a lens will perform.

Oh, as for my analogy, I develop engines for a living so I probably think about them differently than most drivers.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

OneJZsupra
Goldmember
2,378 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 03, 2012 08:14 |  #9

Higgs Boson wrote in post #13638510 (external link)
8 cylinder car MIGHT get worse mileage depending on the weights of the cars being compared, the gearing, and the technology the engine uses. it will not only have more power from 60-80 but also from 0-150, especially since the 4 banger will only go 102.

It also has to do with the load and the speed being traveled, it takes a lot more for a 4 cylinder to move at 70 mph then it does a 8 cylinder, but for the most part the 4 cylinder will almost always get better mpg.... unless we're talking about towing stuff. The fact of the matter is most v8 cars carry higher weight which drags them down a good bit. An example of this is the New Camero and challenger.... Both of which are almost over 4000 lbs, the challenger being almost 4200 lbs.

The other thing is that I know of plenty of inline 4's that can hit the 160 mph mark, but i'll keep my straight 6 twin turbo = )

Gear List | Feed Back | My Site (external link)
YN RF-603 O-ring solution

Higgs ­ Boson
Goldmember
1,958 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 03, 2012 08:26 |  #10

seoul4korea wrote in post #13638611 (external link)
It also has to do with the load and the speed being traveled, it takes a lot more for a 4 cylinder to move at 70 mph then it does a 8 cylinder, but for the most part the 4 cylinder will almost always get better mpg.... unless we're talking about towing stuff. The fact of the matter is most v8 cars carry higher weight which drags them down a good bit. An example of this is the New Camero and challenger.... Both of which are almost over 4000 lbs, the challenger being almost 4200 lbs.

The other thing is that I know of plenty of inline 4's that can hit the 160 mph mark, but i'll keep my straight 6 twin turbo = )

I have a couple V8s in sub 2800 lb cars.....the new muscle cars are a prime example of terrible. and one can always add FI to a V8 so IMO FI vs NA comparisons are moot.

the new muscle cars are getting heavy, but so is everything, including civics, bmws, etc. btw, inline 6's are generally heavier than small block chevys....

here's one of my toys....

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

here's a pic i took of my brother:
IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

A9 | 25 | 55 | 85 | 90 | 135

modchild
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 03, 2012 08:33 |  #11

Short answer, the amount of elements (single glass pieces) and groups (multiple glass pieces) are placed at certain distances in the lens to cut down on as many abberations as possible to produce the clearest image available.

EOS 5D MkIII, EOS 70D, EOS 650D, EOS M, Canon 24-70 f2.8L MkII, Canon 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII, Canon 100 f2.8L Macro, Canon 17-40 f4L IS, Canon 24-105 f4L IS, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 85 f1.8, Canon 50 f1.4, Canon 40 f2.8 STM, Canon 35 f2, Sigma 150-500 OS, Tamron 18-270 PZD, Tamron 28-300 VC, 580EX II Flash, Nissin Di866 MkII Flash, Sigma EM 140 Macro Flash and other bits.

mafoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 03, 2012 09:37 |  #12

Sigh...

http://www.fueleconomy​.gov/feg/best-worst.shtml (external link)

all the top 10 are 4 cylinders, and all the worst 10 are 16,12,8 cylinders. I think it's a good guess that the ones on the worst list have a little more power, and performance then the 4 bangers.

Yes, I am sure you can make a 16 cylinder and a 4 cylinder car, where the 4 gets worse gas milage and better performance if you wanted, but the reality of the market can lead you to use cylinders as a rule of thumb. (why I used that term).

Rule of thumb says 170 pound men can run quicker then 300 pound men. That's a true statement. No one needs to post that Bruce Campbell at 315 pounds, runs a 4.85 40 yard dash, and would smoke 99% of the 170 pounders in the world. it's a rule of thumb.

Is there a rule of thumb for elements and groups?

-Jeremy

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 03, 2012 10:08 |  #13

Leaving cars out of it, the answer to the question is no. What those individual lenses are made of and/or coated with comes into play too so just looking at the number of lenses and groups doesn't tell you anything absolute.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

mafoo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,503 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 03, 2012 10:23 |  #14

yourdoinitwrong wrote in post #13639127 (external link)
Leaving cars out of it, the answer to the question is no. What those individual lenses are made of and/or coated with comes into play too so just looking at the number of lenses and groups doesn't tell you anything absolute.

Ok, so to word it differently.

If you were choosing a lens for some application, and you had 6 that "made sense" for whatever you were doing. Elements and groups would play zero factor in the lens you chose?"

If this is not true, what factor did it play?

-Jeremy

yourdoinitwrong
Goldmember
2,394 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 03, 2012 10:31 |  #15

mafoo wrote in post #13639213 (external link)
Ok, so to word it differently.

If you were choosing a lens for some application, and you had 6 that "made sense" for whatever you were doing. Elements and groups would play zero factor in the lens you chose?"

If this is not true, what factor did it play?

Exactly, I have never made a lens choice that had anything to do with the number of elements or groups. I only care about the image that comes out the other end so I will leave everything in the middle to the engineers. If it had 2 elements or 58 in 32 groups it would make no difference to me as long as it produces good images.

5D4 w/BG-E20, 24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L IS Macro, Sigma 50 f/1.4
Full List

sponsored links

4,296 views & 0 likes for this thread
This lens has (x)elements, and (y) groups...
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.