Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 25 Oct 2011 (Tuesday) 15:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 50d and portraits?

Meanderthal
532 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Nov 24, 2011 20:58 as a reply to  @ post 13414175 |  #16

Inst!nct, post some of your portraits in the Critique section, with EXIF data intact. And for each, describe exactly what you'd like to improve.

http://spitzhaven.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)Photo gallery (external link)

sponsored links
cebuRyda
109 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 15, 2011 00:27 |  #17

I did a photoshoot last weekend and used both my 7D and 50D (dual strap) a majority of my shots came from the 50D using a 70-2002.8L - You can check out my shoot here (external link)

A couple photos from the session...

IMAGE: http://www.cebuphotos.com/img/s11/v34/p350308746-5.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.cebuphotos.com/img/s11/v37/p1029643189-5.jpg

Inst!nct wrote in post #13305133 (external link)
So I have a 50d, 17-55, and 50mm 1.4. Right now, I've been looking around, and it seems like I've seen no great/good portraits taken with the 50d. I looked on flickr, searched through forum, and haven't even found one good example that the 50d can be used to take great portraits.

Literally if I see one or two pictures that prove me otherwise, I'll be content and not be eager to buy a 5d mk II. I'm not a great portrait photographer yet, but I'd like to be able to know that that can be achieved using a 50d.

Can anyone link or post an example of a good portrait taken with the 50d? You'd make me very happy, thanks

5DMKIII Gripped, 7D Gripped, 50D Gripped, Canon 50 1.4, 35 2.0, 85 1.8, 70-200L 2.8IS, 17-40L, 28-135, 100-300, 580EX, 580EXII & S100
Gallery (external link), My Blog (external link) and Facebook (external link)

DTBaan
"male gigolo"
14,238 posts
Gallery: 51 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Apr 2011

Dec 15, 2011 00:40 |  #18

So I have a 50d, 17-55, and 50mm 1.4. Right now, I've been looking around, and it seems like I've seen no great/good portraits taken with the 50d. I looked on flickr, searched through forum, and haven't even found one good example that the 50d can be used to take great portraits.

Literally if I see one or two pictures that prove me otherwise, I'll be content and not be eager to buy a 5d mk II. I'm not a great portrait photographer yet, but I'd like to be able to know that that can be achieved using a 50d.

Can anyone link or post an example of a good portrait taken with the 50d? You'd make me very happy, thanks

I dont have any samples but a 50d and 50 1.4 will do just fine. there's no need to see samples, go out and shoot and adjust settings to your likings like everything else you would shoot.

roosterslayer
994 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Dec 22, 2011 18:01 |  #19

if you cant take a decent shot with your 50d then you sure as hell wont be taking good shots with a 5dii. there's nothing wrong with your 50d.. nothing makes it less capable for portraiture. i use a 50 1.4 on crop all the time and get great shots.

i hope i didn't misunderstand your question.

flickr (external link)

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 22, 2011 19:49 |  #20

"Its not the camera its the photographer" works just as good when talking about bad pictures as it is when talking about good ones.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

cleyvosier
848 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jan 03, 2012 07:25 |  #21

i have a 50d & 70-200 non is............does it matter if i have is..........i have a tripod but want pointers on how to shoot free handed

Gear- Canon 50d, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM,Alien Bee 1600 & csr+ reciever, Sekonik L-358
Feedback

Ashura
117 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 03, 2012 10:38 |  #22

Keep an eye on your shutter speed when you shoot with available light, and that's kinda it.
IS is mostly useful in low light conditions, when even the large aperture can't keep up and you can't use flash.
I like to have IS when I shoot stage, but for portrait it's not that important.

flickr (external link)
50D, EF 24-105/4 L, EF 50/1.4, EF 35/2.0, EF-S 10-22/3.5-4.5, 430EX, D-Lite 4 It kit

sponsored links

6,291 views & 0 likes for this thread
The 50d and portraits?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.