Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
Thread started 01 Jan 2012 (Sunday) 22:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Exposure Blend vs Filters...

booju
Goldmember
2,333 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 01, 2012 22:01 |  #1

Exposure Blending vs. GND Filters

What are the pros and cons?
What is your preference and why?

sponsored links
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 01, 2012 22:11 |  #2

Like most things in photography, "it depends".

It is better to get things done in camera, then fanny around later in post. So, a GND is the better option, in theory. If there is a nice, fairly level, horizon with nothing protruding from the foreground, I would choose a GND every time.

However, when the subject is a building, maybe an old church, and the spire goes up way past the horizon, and you have some trees off to the left going all the way up the frame, it can be a different matter. Using a GND will give you a church spire that gets significantly darker half way up, trees that go from green and sunny lower down, to dark and almost black higher up. Neither effect looks right.

In that case, I would shoot two shots - one for the sky, one for the subject (possibly 3 shots if I had shadow detail somewhere I wanted to preserve) then blend them later in post, with layer masks. A bit more work than using a GND, but a more natural looking result.

So, I don't believe there is a one size fits all answer, like everything else you use what you need, to get the shot you have in your mind.

booju
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,333 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 01, 2012 23:52 |  #3

sandpiper wrote in post #13631787 (external link)
Like most things in photography, "it depends".

It is better to get things done in camera, then fanny around later in post. So, a GND is the better option, in theory. If there is a nice, fairly level, horizon with nothing protruding from the foreground, I would choose a GND every time.

However, when the subject is a building, maybe an old church, and the spire goes up way past the horizon, and you have some trees off to the left going all the way up the frame, it can be a different matter. Using a GND will give you a church spire that gets significantly darker half way up, trees that go from green and sunny lower down, to dark and almost black higher up. Neither effect looks right.

In that case, I would shoot two shots - one for the sky, one for the subject (possibly 3 shots if I had shadow detail somewhere I wanted to preserve) then blend them later in post, with layer masks. A bit more work than using a GND, but a more natural looking result.

So, I don't believe there is a one size fits all answer, like everything else you use what you need, to get the shot you have in your mind.

sandpiper,

Since writing this thread, I've been reading some really interesting articles on both methods...

I subscribe to your recommendation!!!

Thank you very much;)

I'm ready to get my feet wet and enjoy the time learning:D

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,437 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 01, 2012 23:57 |  #4

I'm in the "it depends" camp as well. As mentioned with a nice straight delineation between the light and dark areas, a gnd works great. The more complex the delineation, the less effective a filter is and it's easier to do so in post.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

galjoe
143 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 02, 2012 08:33 |  #5

Can someone explain the easiest way to blend exposures.i use lightroom 3 & elements 9.i really suck at p&p.

60d-450d-canon 70-200f4L-tamron 17-50f2.8-sigma 10-20.lee holder & filters.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,437 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 02, 2012 08:45 |  #6

galjoe wrote in post #13633273 (external link)
Can someone explain the easiest way to blend exposures.i use lightroom 3 & elements 9.i really suck at p&p.

There are several decent tutorials out there. here are two. Google "photoshop tutorial GND effect" and you'll get way more.

http://ronbigelow.com …nsity/neutral-density.htm (external link)
http://pshero.com …ed-neutral-density-filter (external link)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,836 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 03, 2012 09:01 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #7

with blends or HDRs:

because you have multiple negatives, you capture as much data as possible, that is always good
you still have your negatives from which to do other final images
you did not spend money on filters that add weight and can be scratched/broken

MNUplander
Goldmember
2,527 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 03, 2012 10:56 |  #8

MCAsan wrote in post #13638794 (external link)
with blends or HDRs:

because you have multiple negatives, you capture as much data as possible, that is always good
you still have your negatives from which to do other final images
you did not spend money on filters that add weight and can be scratched/broken

I agree with this. The ONLY trouble is that sometimes when you properly expose your foreground, your sky is so blown out that you get all kinds of fringing on your foreground edges that meet the sky - I see this even with my ZE21. Its a pain to deal with and sometimes I much prefer to deal with dodging some shadows caused by the GND than mess with fringes on edges that should be sharp.

Lake Superior and North Shore Landscape Photography (external link)
Buy & Sell Feedback
6D, 16-35 f4 IS, 50 1.2, 100L Macro, 150-600C

Gel
Goldmember
1,145 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jan 03, 2012 11:03 |  #9

It depends, not just on the image but the location.

It's easier to take 7 different exposures in rapid succession than using a graduated ND filter on a beach in 40 mph winds with seaspray coming at you.

Always best to get it right in camera though but it's whatever gets you the desired result.

Chris Giles Photography

ejenner
Goldmember
3,806 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Nov 2011

Jan 06, 2012 20:18 as a reply to  @ Gel's post |  #10

I use both and don't have a preference. Sometimes it's just easier to use a GND filter, sometimes (if things are moving) it's a necessity. Other times, I can do what I want with a filter and am not sure I'll remember exactly what I was going for in PP. Other times it's definitely better to blend.

I think it comes down to experience. If you're not sure, try doing both for a while, or as much as you can to develop a feel for when one is better (for you) than another.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,486 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 06, 2012 23:00 |  #11

galjoe wrote in post #13633273 (external link)

Watch this a few times, this is how I figured things out (to the extent that I have at least).

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=2zyGZlf7bWU (external link)

Flickr (external link)

galjoe
143 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Jan 07, 2012 07:49 |  #12

Thanks for the link patrick,he made it look really easy.i will give it a go later.

60d-450d-canon 70-200f4L-tamron 17-50f2.8-sigma 10-20.lee holder & filters.

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 08, 2012 08:47 |  #13

Gel wrote in post #13639381 (external link)
It's easier to take 7 different exposures in rapid succession than using a graduated ND filter on a beach in 40 mph winds with seaspray coming at you.

...but how do you deal with all the moving elements that naturally come with 40mph winds and a body of water when blending shots? ;)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

blackcap
415 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 12, 2012 01:06 |  #14

Gel wrote in post #13639381 (external link)

Why is that? If you attach the holder beforehand, then isn't the time taken to slot in the filter and take one shot going to be about the same or quicker than taking 7 shots? Especially when the light gets low and exposures get longer.

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,510 posts
Gallery: 47 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 12, 2012 01:15 |  #15

I have never had any luck at all with blending exposures to get anything even remotely right...so I stick with filters now.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

sponsored links

3,849 views & 0 likes for this thread
Exposure Blend vs Filters...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.