Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 03 Jan 2012 (Tuesday) 12:39
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

55-250 IS weird problem

huangyu84
88 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 03, 2012 12:39 |  #1

Hello all and happy New Year,

My problem is that the IQ delivered by 55-250 IS is not consistent. Keep long story short, I tried to use 55-250 is to image Orion nebula. I got very bad distortion away from center at around 200mm@f8 in the first night. I thought I might continue to collect data next day, so I tape the lens to keep the focal length unchanged. Weird thing happened in the second night, the image quality improved a lot. Most of the distortions were gong even at wide open. The third night, I reduced the focal length a bit, and the distortions were back there. All the conditions were same for the two shots except the temperature as far as I can recall.

Single 2min shot from 1st night

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

Single 2min shot from other night
IMAGE NOT FOUND

I already ruled out the focusing problem, tracking error by a series of tests afterwards and I could never reproduce the image quality as in the second night.

BTW, Many people refers the 55-250 is has the same image quality as 70-300 IS USM. In this case, I don't think so. the 70-300 IS USM performs much better. Whenever I use it to shoot stars, the image quality is quite consistent (and noticeable better edge performance).

sponsored links
Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 03, 2012 12:42 |  #2

Might want to toss this in the astrophotography section, they might have some better ideas if it's lens related or some kind of potential issue with the way you're doing things.

Everything seems to have more of a trail to it in the 1st shot, not just in the corner. Are you sure they were both 2 min exposures?

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 03, 2012 12:45 as a reply to  @ Virto's post |  #3

Your first picture shows an exposure time of 120 seconds (2 minutes) - what you're seeing are star trails. The EXIF on the second photo shows an exposure time of 30 seconds, so it makes sense that you'd get much less trailing in that image.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

Attomsk
152 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 03, 2012 12:53 |  #4

Veemac wrote in post #13639887 (external link)
Your first picture shows an exposure time of 120 seconds (2 minutes) - what you're seeing are star trails. The EXIF on the second photo shows an exposure time of 30 seconds, so it makes sense that you'd get much less trailing in that image.

This sounds right to me - unless the OP is using a tool to move the camera with the earth's rotation.

My flickr (external link) | 600D gripped | Σ17-50 2.8 OS | 50 1.8 | 70-200L f4 IS

Austin.Manny
Goldmember
1,040 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 03, 2012 12:54 |  #5

Exactly. Believe it or not, the night sky isn't static; it moves a lot faster than you think. The first picture had an exposure of two minutes, which captured a lot more movement than the 30 seconds of the second picture.

450D Gripped | Σ 30 f/1.4 | 85 f/1.8 | 18-55 IS
LumoPro LP180 | Yongnuo YN-460 |
RF-602

Flickr (external link)

huangyu84
THREAD ­ STARTER
88 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 03, 2012 13:00 |  #6

Thanks for your input,
I'm pretty sure it was not star trail. The camera was ridding on an Orion sirius EQ mount which is an overkill for this focal length. I also have 30 sec sub in the first night which showed the exactly same distortion.

here's the 10 sec exposure from 1st night (f5.6), same distortion.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,230 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 03, 2012 13:03 |  #7

maybe you're tracker isn't doing a good job...it definitely looks like it's related to the shutter speed

can't see the exif on your last shot, but considering you were wrong about the shutter on your second i wonder if you're right on the last one being 10 sec...

post up the 30sec shot the first night that shows the same distortion

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

huangyu84
THREAD ­ STARTER
88 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 03, 2012 13:05 |  #8

and 30 sec exposure (f8) from 1st night: (upper left corner)

IMAGE NOT FOUND

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 03, 2012 13:30 |  #9

huangyu84 wrote in post #13639952 (external link)
Thanks for your input,
I'm pretty sure it was not star trail. The camera was ridding on an Orion sirius EQ mount which is an overkill for this focal length. I also have 30 sec sub in the first night which showed the exactly same distortion...

Most definitely star trails, IMO. They're all in the exact same direction with identical lengths. Either your tracker isn't tracking at all, or you don't have it properly aligned.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

huangyu84
THREAD ­ STARTER
88 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 03, 2012 13:35 |  #10

DreDaze wrote in post #13639971 (external link)
maybe you're tracker isn't doing a good job...it definitely looks like it's related to the shutter speed

can't see the exif on your last shot, but considering you were wrong about the shutter on your second i wonder if you're right on the last one being 10 sec...

post up the 30sec shot the first night that shows the same distortion

Tracking may have small contributions to the distortion, but I believe the most part of distortions was from the lens itself. I uploaded three full size shots with exif information for you guys to compare.

55-250 IS 120s f8 1st night
http://imageshack.us …76/55250isf81st​night.jpg/ (external link)

55-250 IS 120s f5.6 2nd night
http://imageshack.us …1/55250isf562nd​night.jpg/ (external link)

70-300 IS USM f8 3rd night
http://imageshack.us …mages/545/70300​isusm.jpg/ (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,230 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 03, 2012 13:38 |  #11

maybe your tracker wasn't on the first night...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

huangyu84
THREAD ­ STARTER
88 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 03, 2012 13:40 |  #12

Veemac wrote in post #13640111 (external link)
Most definitely star trails, IMO. They're all in the exact same direction with identical lengths. Either your tracker isn't tracking at all, or you don't have it properly aligned.

Veemac,

They are not in the same direction. The image only shows upper left corner. But if you zoom in lower left coner, they are in different direction. And the center of the frame shows almost no trails at all. I'm confused...

HyperYagami
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 03, 2012 13:41 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #13

agreed with most comments. that doesn't look "distortion", more like trail of some sort due to movement. IS on or off?

5D3 and a few lens
es.

Veemac
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jan 03, 2012 13:45 as a reply to  @ HyperYagami's post |  #14

As Virto said earlier, I'd post this over in the Astrophotography section. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and experienced folks there who should be able to help you out.

Mac
-Stuff I Use-

RTPVid
Goldmember
3,365 posts
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 03, 2012 21:45 |  #15

huangyu84 wrote in post #13639858 (external link)
Hello all and happy New Year,

My problem is that the IQ delivered by 55-250 IS is not consistent. Keep long story short, I tried to use 55-250 is to image Orion nebula. I got very bad distortion away from center at around 200mm@f8 in the first night. I thought I might continue to collect data next day, so I tape the lens to keep the focal length unchanged. Weird thing happened in the second night, the image quality improved a lot. Most of the distortions were gong even at wide open. The third night, I reduced the focal length a bit, and the distortions were back there. All the conditions were same for the two shots except the temperature as far as I can recall.

Single 2min shot from 1st night
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Single 2min shot from other night
IMAGE NOT FOUND

I already ruled out the focusing problem, tracking error by a series of tests afterwards and I could never reproduce the image quality as in the second night.

BTW, Many people refers the 55-250 is has the same image quality as 70-300 IS USM. In this case, I don't think so. the 70-300 IS USM performs much better. Whenever I use it to shoot stars, the image quality is quite consistent (and noticeable better edge performance).

As others have said, the first exposure is 120 sec and the second is 30 sec, not the 120 sec you write (assuming your EXIF data is correct). The difference is star trails caused by the longer exposure, not the lens itself, it seems to me.

The advice about taking this to the astrophotography forum is sound.

Tom

sponsored links

2,728 views & 0 likes for this thread
55-250 IS weird problem
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.