Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
Thread started 21 Nov 2011 (Monday) 07:06
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "which is the better buy?"
S95
51.9%
S100
48.1%

104 voters, 104 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Buying from scratch... S95 or S100?

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Dec 31, 2011 23:51 |  #31

MDEphoto wrote in post #13490936 (external link)
I have been in the market for the S95 and have too noticed the price coming up. Although, it seems when the S100 becomes available, the S95 drops again. I think it is supply and demand on the S100 side - when there are no S100 available people decide to buy the S95 and thus the price jumps a bit.

Back to the original question, I chose the S95 because it is a backup camera and one the wife uses the most. I chose to take the $150 savings and put it towards another lens for my 5D II. Use your money wisely! =)

While that's smart thinking, $150 is about 7.5% of the price of a USED 5D2. Is that savings worth getting a significantly inferior camera for? For me, it wouldn't be. But, I've been waiting for the S100 since the S95 was announced (so about 2 years) and I don't plan on replacing it for years to come.

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

sponsored links
iazybandit
Goldmember
2,228 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 01, 2012 01:49 |  #32

Missed out on the S95 deal on Amazon. I was going back and forth between the S95 and S100. S95 for the lower price, many good recommendations from owners. But opted to spend the extra money for the S100 because of focal length, 1080p and ability to zoom while recording. I don't care for GPS so I'll have that turned off.

Canon :: R6 | RP | 5D Mark IV
Glass :: RF 24-70 f/2.8L IS | RF 35mm f/1.8 IS STM | EF 16-35 f2.8L II | EF 70-200 f2.8L III | EF 24-70 f2.8L II | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
FEEDBACK
FS: 3D Printed RF 35mm Lens Hood | Peak Design and ThinkTank Bags | Custom SLR M-Plate Pro, Alter RFS | SpiderHolster w/Speedbelt and Handstraps

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 01, 2012 09:01 |  #33

LowriderS10 wrote in post #13627945 (external link)
While that's smart thinking, $150 is about 7.5% of the price of a USED 5D2. Is that savings worth getting a significantly inferior camera

Another way of looking at it would be; is it worth spending another $150 when $299 already gets you an amazing little camera? ;)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 01, 2012 17:11 |  #34

Sirrith wrote in post #13628819 (external link)
Another way of looking at it would be; is it worth spending another $150 when $299 already gets you an amazing little camera? ;)

Yeah, that's very true as well...the way I looked at it is I've been waiting for a camera to come out that would address some of the things I missed from the S95...when the S100 came out, it solved everything! Is $150 worth saving for a camera I'm going to use for years and years? Not for me...the S95 is undoubtedly a better value (performance per dollar-wise)...but, I could happily justify the extra money for a camera I have been waiting and wishing for for two years.

-=Gear=-

Sirrith
Cream of the Crop
10,545 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 01, 2012 20:01 |  #35

LowriderS10 wrote in post #13630608 (external link)
Yeah, that's very true as well...the way I looked at it is I've been waiting for a camera to come out that would address some of the things I missed from the S95...when the S100 came out, it solved everything! Is $150 worth saving for a camera I'm going to use for years and years? Not for me...the S95 is undoubtedly a better value (performance per dollar-wise)...but, I could happily justify the extra money for a camera I have been waiting and wishing for for two years.

TBH I would have gone with the s100 as well if they didn't try jacking up the prices here in HK. The difference isn't $150 here, but close to $200. Thats more money than I'd ever pay for a compact. So I went with the s95 rather than wait for supply to get back to normal, since the best camera is the one you have with you ;)

-Tom
Flickr (external link)
F-Stop Guru review | RRS BH-40 review

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 01, 2012 21:03 |  #36

Sirrith wrote in post #13631211 (external link)
TBH I would have gone with the s100 as well if they didn't try jacking up the prices here in HK. The difference isn't $150 here, but close to $200. Thats more money than I'd ever pay for a compact. So I went with the s95 rather than wait for supply to get back to normal, since the best camera is the one you have with you ;)

Very true...the S100 isn't even out in Korea yet (I'm pretty sure I have the first one here haha...camera stores haven't even heard of it!!), but the S95 is still holding steady at 600,000 won (or about $540 Canadian). I shudder to think what the S100 will go for when it gets released here. Thankfully I got mine through a friend, so I got it at American prices...or...my S100 cost me about $100 less than the S95 would have, had I bought it locally in Korea.

-=Gear=-

StinkyGoalieGuy
37 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 03, 2012 18:00 as a reply to  @ LowriderS10's post |  #37

Tough call on this one. Since the S100 was out of stock in December, I ordered an S95 for my trip over the holidays. But even with next day delivery, I missed it by a few hours as I had to leave to catch my flight. So I ended lugging my DSLR on my trip. Now that the S100 is available, I snagged one. Guess it's time to sell the S95. That was my decision maker. :rolleyes:

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 03, 2012 18:44 |  #38

StinkyGoalieGuy wrote in post #13641650 (external link)
Tough call on this one. Since the S100 was out of stock in December, I ordered an S95 for my trip over the holidays. But even with next day delivery, I missed it by a few hours as I had to leave to catch my flight. So I ended lugging my DSLR on my trip. Now that the S100 is available, I snagged one. Guess it's time to sell the S95. That was my decision maker. :rolleyes:

Interesting that you would leave the DSLR at home to take the S95...says a lot about these little guys. I'm planning a trip across Eastern Europe this summer...and I'm trying to come up with enough reasons to justify taking the 1D3/16-35L II. It's a lot of gear to have stolen (let's be honest, petty theft is rampant in that part of the world)...whereas the S100 is stealthy, little and easy to hide...I'd love to hear back from people on how the S100/S95 does on extended trips as a sole camera...

-=Gear=-

StinkyGoalieGuy
37 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 03, 2012 18:57 |  #39

LowriderS10 wrote in post #13641847 (external link)
Interesting that you would leave the DSLR at home to take the S95...says a lot about these little guys. I'm planning a trip across Eastern Europe this summer...and I'm trying to come up with enough reasons to justify taking the 1D3/16-35L II. It's a lot of gear to have stolen (let's be honest, petty theft is rampant in that part of the world)...whereas the S100 is stealthy, little and easy to hide...I'd love to hear back from people on how the S100/S95 does on extended trips as a sole camera...

I try to travel really light since checked luggage is so expensive these days. So now I only have so much room for carry-on cameras. Also, now that I have kids I don't have a chance to venture out for 'artistic' photography, it's mostly just snapshots of family, etc. In that case, the S100 would have been more than adequate, yet still usable for the occasional spontaneous 'artistic' moment. So it really depends on the trip. There are times when I might bring both the DSLR and the P&S. Call me crazy.

DStanic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 03, 2012 21:36 |  #40

For a vacation like going to Europe or something I think a M4/3 camera would be nice. Sure it's a little bulky in size compared to a P&S, but there is the weight savings over a DSLR (about 1/3rd the weight of a xxD body with equivalent lens from my quick calculation). But I don't shoot enough or have enough money to afford a P&S and 2 separate interchangeable lens systems. lol

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 03, 2012 21:43 |  #41

StinkyGoalieGuy wrote in post #13641906 (external link)
I try to travel really light since checked luggage is so expensive these days. So now I only have so much room for carry-on cameras. Also, now that I have kids I don't have a chance to venture out for 'artistic' photography, it's mostly just snapshots of family, etc. In that case, the S100 would have been more than adequate, yet still usable for the occasional spontaneous 'artistic' moment. So it really depends on the trip. There are times when I might bring both the DSLR and the P&S. Call me crazy.

Haha you're not crazy, the DSLR + G9 has been how I've always travelled...but with the wide angle, fast lens of the S100 and the better low-light capabilities, it's really moved up my list haha

DStanic wrote in post #13642700 (external link)
For a vacation like going to Europe or something I think a M4/3 camera would be nice. Sure it's a little bulky in size compared to a P&S, but there is the weight savings over a DSLR (about 1/3rd the weight of a xxD body with equivalent lens from my quick calculation). But I don't shoot enough or have enough money to afford a P&S and 2 separate interchangeable lens systems. lol

A good idea, but I'm not a huge fan of M4/3s.

-=Gear=-

DStanic
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,148 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 03, 2012 21:59 |  #42

LowriderS10 wrote in post #13642730 (external link)
A good idea, but I'm not a huge fan of M4/3s.

If I hadn't bought my 5D, which I absolutely love, I could almost see switching to M4/3 (I have never used one, but the images look pretty good). The main thing I really loved about the Canon APS-C sensor was how good it shot at high ISOs, and I'm pretty sure the M4/3 have caught up with them (the older ones such as 30D anyways). But the 5D produces such beautiful sharp detailed images that a M4/3 will never quite be able to capture, no matter how good their image processors get (and I don't use my 30D much anymore, mostly as a backup or second camera for weddings.)

Sony A6000, 16-50PZ, 55-210, 35mm 1.8 OSS
Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 03, 2012 22:07 |  #43

DStanic wrote in post #13642825 (external link)
If I hadn't bought my 5D, which I absolutely love, I could almost see switching to M4/3 (I have never used one, but the images look pretty good). The main thing I really loved about the Canon APS-C sensor was how good it shot at high ISOs, and I'm pretty sure the M4/3 have caught up with them (the older ones such as 30D anyways). But the 5D produces such beautiful sharp detailed images that a M4/3 will never quite be able to capture, no matter how good their image processors get (and I don't use my 30D much anymore, mostly as a backup or second camera for weddings.)

While you're right, I have seen some good stuff come out of M4/3s, there are things that turn me off of M4/3s...

- Too big to be a compact...I mean something like a NEX-5 with a kit lens is dangerously close to a Rebel size/weight wise. Certainly a lot closer than an S100.
- No fast zooms...sure, you can get fast primes, but what's the point of a "compact" camera if you're just going to be carrying a bagful of primes around.
- Still more of a thief magnet than the very stealthy S100 (the MAIN reason I'm thinking of leaving the DSLR at home).
- Expensive...even the cheapest half-decent M4/3 setup will cost twice as much as the S100 and I'm not sure it would yield much superior images (ie: NEX-5 with kit lens vs. S100).

I could be wrong, I've never shot with a M4/3 and believe me I've tried to sell myself on the idea of one (I like gadgets), but I simply can't see the point...

-=Gear=-

s2kdriver80
420 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 04, 2012 01:10 |  #44

LowriderS10 wrote in post #13641847 (external link)

I've been to Europe a few times, including Romania twice in the last year. I had my T2i and T3i along with the 17-55, 10-22, 70-200, 2 Speedlites, and my little S95 with me (not to mention my tripod). Never had I felt threatened by the people over there, but that isn't to say it isn't possible to be robbed if you aren't careful. The S95 alone can get the job done but it's a serious compromise (focal length, dof, noise, good fill flash, etc) if you need or want maximum flexibility in taking pictures.

-Paul
Canon EOS 5D Mark III x2 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | Canon EF 70-200 f/4L IS II USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II x2 | Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT x2

B. ­ Wong
37 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 06, 2012 04:01 |  #45

S95 is an amazing camera for the price, I think as the S100 comes more available you may see people clearing out their old S95s to try and get S100s

sponsored links

13,164 views & 0 likes for this thread
Buying from scratch... S95 or S100?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.