Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 04 Jan 2012 (Wednesday) 01:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

First panning tryout...

Robinson ­ Crusoe
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 04, 2012 01:06 |  #1

It was really difficult, i took many pictures but couldn't get a result like i dreamed of...

Anyway, there was another difficulty for me. People were looking at me when i was chasing their car with my camera and didn't seem to like it. I must find a place to hide and take the shots without bothering the drivers :)

Exif Data:
Exposure 0.067 sec (1/15)
Aperture f/36.0
Focal Length 85 mm
ISO Speed 100

IMAGE: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7173/6633288335_bacb45d5cb_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.flickr.com …/71418423@N06/6​633288335/  (external link)
First Panning Tryout (external link) by rbnsncrs (external link), on Flickr

Gear List | Deviantart (external link) | Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Jan 04, 2012 01:15 |  #2

Try starting at 1/60 to get the motion and the framing down.....then gradually lower your shutter speed until you get the desired effect. Don't stop the camera the second you press the shutter button....continue to follow the car as if you were going to take a second shot until you hear the shutter close.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

whoty
Goldmember
2,073 posts
Gallery: 20 photos
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 04, 2012 01:15 |  #3

I've been trying panning shots for a while now. Still haven't gotten one that I liked. Sorry I can't give any advice. I'm pretty sure someone will chime in soon though.

There is nothing worse than a brilliant image of a fuzzy concept. - Ansel Adams
Instagram (external link)
Facebook (external link)
flickr (external link)

whoty
Goldmember
2,073 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 04, 2012 01:17 |  #4

Woolburr wrote in post #13643566 (external link)
Try starting at 1/60 to get the motion and the framing down.....then gradually lower your shutter speed until you get the desired effect.

is there a certain guide to follow? Something like shutter speed to mph? like,30 mph = 1/50? Idk,Im just shooting out stuff.

Facebook (external link)
flickr (external link)

philwillmedia
Cream of the Crop
5,253 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 04, 2012 01:21 |  #5

For a first effort, that's not really that bad.
I'm not saying it's great shot, because it's not, but it's a reasonable result for a first crack with such a slow shutter speed.
Rather than trying to start with such a slow shutter speed, start with something like 1/200th sec and work your way down.
Panning is a bit of an art form at times and it can take a while to get your technique right.
Even the photographers with lots of panning experience can have a bad day.
I have more than my fair share of them. Some days I couldn't pan to save my life.

If you haven't already, have a look through this thread https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=325181
You'll probably find some use tips and info.

Also, remember the parralax effect.
Depending on where the car is to you and how it moves through the frame, you may not be able to get the whole car sharp.
It's the laws of physics at work and you cant do anything about it unless you are perfectly parralell to what you are panning.
Different parts of the car move at a different rate to the sensor (film) plane.
This thread give a very good (probably the best and simplest) explanation I've ever seen.
Theres even diagrams which shows what occurs.
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=487139

Regards, Phil
2019 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year - Runner Up
2018 South Australian Country Press Assoc Sports Photo of the Year
2018 CAMS (now Motorsport Australia) Gold Accredited Photographer
Finallist - 2014 NT Media Awards
"A bad day at the race track is better than a good day in the office"

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 04, 2012 01:24 |  #6

Generally, your limiting factor is going to be how steady you can track the camera. You also have to deal with the light. A bright sunny day....going to be hard to get super slow shots without resorting to a ND filter or a polarizer to allow you show down your shutter. Some lenses only stop down to f/22....that will limit how low your shutter can go.

You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

Robinson ­ Crusoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 04, 2012 07:57 |  #7

I'll check the links and try with your suggested settings.

I was stubborn about not buying a filter. But it seems like a polarized filter is highly recommended. I'll investigate more and consider getting one for my 15-85 as it's most times on my camera.(I checked the forum before, a multicoated B+W will do the job i guess...)

Thanks for your helps...

frankxsi
118 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 04, 2012 08:41 |  #8

whoty wrote in post #13643575 (external link)
is there a certain guide to follow? Something like shutter speed to mph? like,30 mph = 1/50? Idk,Im just shooting out stuff.

yes there is first you need to stand firmly holding your speed meter in front of the car to determine the velocity of course the car is going to slow down thinking you are a police so you will need to take a second reading of its velocity :) once you have it take out you calculator and do some math then get you camera and and start taking pictures :lol:
it is joke please dont get mad :)

*mafia*hitman
45 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 04, 2012 09:13 |  #9

not to bad for a first try

Canon 7D Gripped Canon 5D Mk II Gripped 70-200 f4 L 85mm f1.2 L Canon EF 17-40mm f/4 L 70-200 f2.8L IS II 60mm f2.8 50mm f1.4 28-135mm f4-5.6 Lensbaby Composer single/double glass optic swap 580 EX II flash Bogen tripod with Manfrotto pistol grip ball head
Alien Bees Einsteins With remote commander trigger

drvnbysound
Goldmember
3,316 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jan 04, 2012 12:58 |  #10

I have only tried 1 panning shot myself (about 3 yrs ago of someone riding a bike), and I can't tell what the OP used but I wanted to add this anyway (future reference of someone maybe??) ...

While it seems logical, initially I did not think about it since I usually shoot relatively still objects, but you want to use AI Servo AF, rather than One Shot AF, so that the focus mechanism tracks with the movement of the object (vehicle). My first few shots were OOF until I realized I was using One Shot AF and made the change.

I use manual exposure settings on the copy machine
..::Gear Listing::.. --==Feedback==--
...A few umbrella brackets I own...

Robinson ­ Crusoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 04, 2012 13:19 |  #11

I'm just coming from outside. I gave another try. When i was trying to find another setting i remember that i haven't switched the focus mode to AI SERVO AF while shooting. Coming back and seeing your post was very interesting drvnbysound lol

I tried to hide myself behind some bushes :P I narrowed the field, there was about 30 feet of road to track and i was about 15-20 feet from that road. Result? I couldn't get a nice shot. But i have an excuse: weather was cold :P

whoty
Goldmember
2,073 posts
Joined Nov 2010

Jan 04, 2012 13:22 |  #12

frankxsi wrote in post #13644548 (external link)
yes there is first you need to stand firmly holding your speed meter in front of the car to determine the velocity of course the car is going to slow down thinking you are a police so you will need to take a second reading of its velocity :) once you have it take out you calculator and do some math then get you camera and and start taking pictures :lol:
it is joke please dont get mad :)

So,I can order speed meters from amazon or somewhere online right? or do I need to have a special permit to buy it? I've been out of school for a while,so i guess i need to brush up on my math. Thanks for the tips. hahahahahaha

Facebook (external link)
flickr (external link)

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 04, 2012 13:27 |  #13

Robinson Crusoe wrote in post #13645937 (external link)
I'm just coming from outside. I gave another try. When i was trying to find another setting i remember that i haven't switched the focus mode to AI SERVO AF while shooting. Coming back and seeing your post was very interesting drvnbysound lol

I tried to hide myself behind some bushes :P I narrowed the field, there was about 30 feet of road to track and i was about 15-20 feet from that road. Result? I couldn't get a nice shot. But i have an excuse: weather was cold :P

Why are you hiding in the bushes? Taking photos of cars on the street isn't illegal, but hiding in the weeds with a camera is apt to get you reported as being "suspicious".

Robinson ­ Crusoe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,252 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 04, 2012 13:43 |  #14

Lets say i was near the bushes, and what i was doing was obvious. I wasn't camouflaging(i don't know if this word exists in English :)) myself with bushes. It was only hard to see me for drivers...

sponsored links

1,446 views & 0 likes for this thread
First panning tryout...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.